Personal Backup is a comprehensive software that helps users to create backups of their important data and save it to any destination folder. The program is equipped with a variety of features that enable users to customize their backup preferences, including the selection of data to be backed up, destination folders, backup tasks, and additional functions.
Selection of Data to be Backed Up
The program offers various options for selecting the files to be backed up. Users can choose to include or exclude subdirectories by selection or filter, and select files based on file type, age, and name filter. The selection is made on a by-folder basis, and all sub-folders are included automatically.
Selection of Backup Destination
Personal Backup allows users to select any folder located on a local fixed or removable drive, on a Windows network server, or on an FTP server as the destination for their backup files. The original drives appear as subdirectories named DrvC, DrvD, etc., and the program offers the option to compress and/or encrypt data using AES algorithm.
The program enables users to create and save as many backup tasks as they wish. These tasks can be started manually or automatically using a time schedule, with several options available for scheduling backups. Users can also initiate a backup using Windows Task Scheduler or call a one-click backup of a directory using the Windows Explorer context menu.
Performing a Backup
Personal Backup offers several ways to perform a backup, including checking the file timestamps to save only newer files or using the archive bit of the files. Experienced users can configure alternating backups consisting of one full and several differential or incremental backups.
Aside from creating backups, Personal Backup also provides functions to verify and restore backed-up data, as well as delete selected files and directories.
The program supports full Unicode and long path-lengths, and automatically checks for updates at periodic intervals.
Important Note: Personal Backup is not suitable for backing up system data.
To operate the program, a Control Panel (see screenshot at right) is provided. The panel presents a summary of all important information about the user-defined backups in a clearly-arranged form. Just a few clicks are required to change the configurations and start an action.
Changes in Personal Backup 184.108.40.206 (2023-09-19):
- Bug fixes: Copying attributes of subdirectories
Changes in Personal Backup 220.127.116.11 (2023-09-10):
- Color of the background of selected list entries changed (clGradientActiveCaption => clSkyBlue)
- Prompt when disabling encryption
- Synchronizing of gz-compressed files via FTP
- Language selection menu
- DeviceBackup: copying of timestamps
- DeviceBackup: error detection when reading the directories
- ShellDirDialog: Adjustment of column widths in file preview
Changes in Personal Backup 18.104.22.168 (2023-07-13):
- Hint about security copies of files in the long log
- No password import on Restore and Verify
- Restore of progress window after minimization
- Deleting all tasks from a list
- Displaying the empty list of automatic tasks
- Displaying the empty list of Windows scheduled tasks
- File filter for filenames without extension
- Reading the filenames in DeviceBackup
- Password management in Restore and Verify
Homepage – https://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de
Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 (32-bit, 64-bit).