Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music, pictures, games, and more.
It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet, including TV shows, PVR and Live TV.
This media center has the customizable design and clean playback options. It also features Add-ons, Skins, UPnP compatibility, Web Interfaces, Remote Controls support and a lot more.
The Kodi project is managed by the non-profit XBMC Foundation, and developed by volunteers located around the world.
Kodi Media Center features:
Play all your music including AAC, MP3, FLAC, OGG, WAV and WMA formats. It has cue sheet, tagging support, MusicBrainz integration, and smart playlists for ultimate control of your music collection.
Supporting all the main video formats and sources, including streamable online media, ISOs, 3D, H.264, HEVC, WEBM. Kodi can import these movies with full posters, fanart, disc-art, actor information, trailers, video extras, and more.
The TV shows library supports episode and season views with posters or banners, watched tags, show descriptions and actors. Video nodes/tags and smart playlists can further organize your library for special interests, making specific screens for sci-fi, anime, etc.
Import pictures into a library and browse the different views, start a slideshow, sort or filter them all using your remote control.
PVR and Live TV
Watch and record live TV all from the GUI interface. It works with a number of popular backends including MediaPortal, MythTV, NextPVR, Tvheadend, VDR, Windows Media Center, and more.
There are add-ons for videos, music, changing Kodi’s behavior, popular web services, adding more artwork, controlling your lights, and much much more.
Allows you to completely change the whole GUI. Thanks to the highly customizable skinning engine you are able to change every aspect of media center. Choose from dozens of community created skins, each with their own set of options, or create your own dream UI.
With UPnP compatibility you can stream to and from any other Kodi instances and play to other UPnP compatible devices in your home with ease. Have one UPnP master device and use other Kodi instances as clients which automatic keeps you watched status and library up-to-date. You can also now import from uPnp sources to synchronize your data inside instances of Kodi.
Interact with Kodi using its JSON-RPC based remote interface. This brings loads of possibilities for remote controls, web browsers and 3rd party tools to take Kodi to the next level.
Control your media your way with support for hundreds of remote controls, CEC-compatible TVs, or one of the new Smartphone and Tablet Apps.
- Work around third-party changes to HTTP2 and SSL/encryption that impacted internet access from Kodi by scrapers, streaming addons, etc.
- Fix memory leaks in TexturePacker
- Fix event server unable to send raw key strikes
- Fix issues around directory navigation and incorrectly-set start directories
- Fix MediaCodec OES/EGL rendering
- Fixes a severe security issue in gnutls
- Other significant library/compatibility updates
- Gets client/server on MariaDB 10.5.4 working for Android
- Fixes video database access for Ubuntu 20.4 and other distros using earlier libfmt versions (search and other filtering failed)
- Fixes subtitle handling from archives
- Fixes CDDB access
- Makes minor improvements to logging and memory reporting/display
- Fixes EDLs where skip points are at the very start of a file
- Contains code improvements to fix specific events, e.g. race conditions in the EPG or “pause” on end of streams on Android
- Enables alpha blending for the video player (Windows)
- Better handles specific exceptions (Android, mostly)
- Fix to not reset user-set volume (Android)
- Fixes around multi-channel audio track support
- Fixes to Bluray subtitle language recognition
- Fix playback of bus-encrypted bluray discs
- Improved library handing for plugins if media source is removed
- Use JNI instead of NDK for MediaCodec (Android)
- Further work on maximum width and height/vertical-shift (Android)
- Fixes around realtime handling of TS streams
- Fix for watch icons not showing when content type is not set (Estouchy)
- Fix navigation in skinsettings (Estuary)
- Fix crash in favourites dialog
- Apply safe area insets to Kodi GUI (iOS)
- Fixes around focus after touch action
- Improvements around dialog/toast handling
- Fixed behaviour when accessing locked media sources
- Fixes around library handling of “isalbumartist” field
- Fixes around expansion of .ISO images to avoid GUI freezes
- Ensure album artist isn’t blanked out when scraping
- Fix downloading dependencies from mirrors (Windows)
- Library updates – bump gnutls (126.96.36.199) and nettle(3.5.1)
- Fix EPG corruption when new channels are added during startup
- Improvements around handling of proxy credentials
- Fix for proxy empty fields (proxy, username, password)
- Fix crash if an incompatible VFS addon is present
- Fix display of title for compressed package directories
- Fixes around addon settings folder naming
- Fixes around decoding of HTML escape characters
- Fix around SMI (SAMI) subtitles and quoted start tags
- Fixes for issues related to switching profile
- Fixes to saving of lock preferences (master lock, lock video windows, etc.)
- Add “Swiss German” and “Portuguese (Brazil)” to language codes
- Fix to guard against assert in tinyxml
- Fix stack overflow when trying to find NFO files in a RAR file
- Implement range checking in URIUtils::resolvePath
- Implement support for extended local headers in ZIP files used by some scrapers
- Fixes around visualisations
- Fixes around pause/resume
- Fixes around TrueHD crashes
- Workaround firmware bug (AMLogic v23) (sidenote: there are many more Android audio fixes that can’t be merged into 18.x “Leia” because of old AMLogic workarounds)
- Fix to correctly resume audio-only MPEG-TS streams
- Correct headphone enumeration (Android)
- Updates for missing includes
- Updates for Cmake (Windows)
- Updates for device handling and packaging (macOS)
- Fixes for launching disc images and .zip files
- Fixes for black screen for RGB emulators (Rpi)
- Fixes around TextureCache
- Fixes for windowing, refresh rate, mode change and others (Android)
- Fixes for floating/split keyboard (iOS)
- Fix for artist slideshow (Estuary)
- Fix media view from addon given content
- Fixed race condition for OnPlaybackStarted
- Fixes for MIME type (Android)
- Support for DolbyVision streams via addons
- Fixes for maximum width and height/vertical-shift (Android)
- Fix for scanning in sub-directories
- Fix size of EAGL layer on external screen (iOS)
- Fix for glTexImage3D (Linux)
- Fix for seeking issues
- Reset playlist on new file playback
- Fix for multiline episode names
- Fixed incorrectly formatted region time
- Pass JSON serialised path settings to python scrapers
- Fix file access on auto-mounted sources
- Fix seeking with FileCache lockup
- Fix passthrough on USB devices (Android)
- Fix crash if profile.xml gets broken
- Fix cache forward size on EOF
- Estuary and GUI info fixes, including scrollbar behaviour, icon names, label changes
- Add dual support for Artist Slideshow 2.x and 3.x
- Fix to always allow ‘Black’ screen saver
- Fix wrong sort order list for music playlists node
- Fixes to external subtitle playback
- Fixes to support for archives over UPnP
- Fixes to “queue item” and “play next” for STRM files with Plugin URL
- Fixes to “hide watched” status for videos
- Fixes to resume handling when marking a file as unwatched
- Fixes to EPG database storage, start/stop of PVR service
- Fix handling of open modal dialogs
- Fixes to commercial skip (EDL) processing
- Multiple Android changes around windowing, secure decoder and SDK versions
- Multiple iOS changes, including support for iPhone 11 and 7th generation iPad, plus fixes for touch input, overlapping drawing surfaces, sandbox checks, notch support.
- MacOS fixes around windowing, where only a portion of the screen was correctly rendered
- Log files improvements around verbosity and security
- Shoutcast improvements
- Various fixes and improvements to add-on settings, package build documentation, build system, advancedsettings.xml, skin/profile changes and many other subsystems
Homepage – https://kodi.tv
Kodi runs on Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls.
Size: 66.0 MB