SMPlayer is a free media player with built-in codecs that can play all video and audio formats. It comes with several skins and icon themes, so you can easily change the look of the player.
SMPlayer doesn’t need any external codecs. Just install this player and you’ll be able to play all formats without the hassle to find and install codec packs.
This universal player is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. It can play mpv, avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264, ogm, mpeg, vob, 3gp, asf, wmv, mp3, ogg…
One of the most interesting features – it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you open that movie again it will be resumed at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume…
But apart from providing access for the most common and useful options of MPlayer, SMPlayer adds other interesting features like the possibility to play and search Youtube videos or download subtitles.
SMPlayer includes many advanced features like video and audio filters, change of the playback speed, adjustment of audio and subtitles delay, video equalizer… and many more.
Other SMPlayer additional interesting features:
- Configurable subtitles. You can choose font and size, and even colors for the subtitles.
- Audio track switching. You can choose the audio track you want to listen. Works with avi and mkv. And of course with DVDs.
- Seeking by mouse wheel. You can use your mouse wheel to go forward or backward in the video.
- Video equalizer, allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and gamma of the video image.
- Multiple speed playback. You can play at 2X, 4X… and even in slow motion.
- Several filters are available. deinterlace, postprocessing, denoise… and even a karaoke filter (voice removal).
- Audio and subtitles delay adjustment. Allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Advanced options, such as selecting a demuxer or video and audio codecs.
- Playlist. Allows you to enqueue several files to be played one after each other. Autorepeat and shuffle supported too.
- Preferences dialog. You can easily configure every option of SMPlayer by using a nice preferences dialog.
- Possibility to search automatically for subtitles in opensubtitles.org.
- More than 20 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese…
- It’s multiplatform. Binaries available for Windows and Linux.
- Player is under the GPL license.
Changes in SMPlayer 22.7.0:
- Better statistic info in the OSD (Shift + I).
- Bug fixes regarding MPRIS2.
- MPRIS2 is compiled (but disabled by default) on Windows and Mac OS.
Changes in SMPlayer 22.2.0:
- (Linux and Mac OS) The options to send video to another screen and choose the audio output device have been fixed.
- (Flatpak package) Add support for the AV1 codec.
- (Mac OS) Fix colors in HDR videos.
- (Mac OS) SMPlayer is now also compatible now with Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave).
- Fix: the playlist is shuffled after adding files if the shuffle button is on.
- Other small fixes.
Changes in SMPlayer 21.10.0:
- The support for YouTube has been improved by using yt-dlp. Fixes buffering and playback of age-restricted videos.
- Possibility to use yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl.
- Option to use the AV1 codec with YouTube videos.
- Improve support for FreeBSD.
- Auto-rotate videos that have been recorded in vertical mode or upside down.
- Some bug fixes.
- Ignore KDE’s “single click”. It causes unexpected behaviour.
- It’s easier to update the YouTube code.
- The installer is digitally signed.
- SMPlayer is now also available in the Windows Store.
- Fix playback with mplayer when screenshots are enabled.
- Support for the obsolete mplayer2.
Changes in SMPlayer 21.8.0:
- A version for Mac OS is now available.
- Better automatic resizing of the main window, trying to prevent black borders.
- Fix loading YouTube playlists.
- Add an option to rotate the video by 180 degrees.
- Playlist: try to prevent a one second delay when using play prev/next.
- Add some predefined speeds (0.25x, 0.5x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x).
- Fix audio CD playback with mpv.
- Fix audio channels.
- The installation of YouTube support is now optional.
- Using Qt 5.15.2.
- Disable power saving on Wayland during playback.
- Remove KDE from the categories in the *.desktop files.
- SMPlayer is now also available as appimage, flatpak and snap.
Changes in SMPlayer 21.1.0:
- Initial support for Wayland.
- Some fixes and improvements in the playlist.
- Show cache info in the OSD (Shift + I).
- New skin Mint-Y.
Changes in SMPlayer 20.6.0:
- The internal YouTube code has been removed. Now SMPlayer uses an external application to get the video URLs.
- The shuffle option in the playlist does shuffle the items of the playlist.
Changes in SMPlayer 20.4.2:
- Fix for YouTube.
Changes in SMPlayer 20.4.0:
- Possibility to enter the opensubtitles.org credentials, in order to prevent a login error.
- Now it’s possible to search for shortcuts in Preferences -> Keyboard.
- Support for mpv 0.32.
Changes in SMPlayer 19.10.0:
- Fix for YouTube.
- Fix control when using mpv 0.30.
Changes in SMPlayer 19.5.0:
- Fix for YouTube.
- Fix YouTube live streams (works only with mpv).
- New actions available for previous subtitle track, previous audio track and previous video track.
- New command line option -start.
Homepage – https://www.smplayer.info
SMPlayer is available for Windows and Linux.
SMPlayer is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
2 in 1 devices with touch screens are also supported.
Size: 44.3 MB