Mp3tag is a powerful and easy-to-use universal Tag Editor that allows to edit metadata of common audio formats where it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE Tags.
It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words in tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more.
Mp3tag supports online database lookups from, e.g., Amazon, discogs, or freedb, allowing you to automatically gather proper tags and cover art for your music library.
Besides these features Mp3tag offers a variety of other functions and features ranging ranging from batch export of embedded album covers, over support for iTunes-specific tags like media type or TV Show settings, to combining multiple actions into groups that can be applied with a single mouse click.
Mp3tag supports the following audio formats:
- Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
- Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
- Monkey’s Audio (ape)
- Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
- MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
- Musepack (mpc)
- Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
- OptimFROG (ofr)
- OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
- Speex (spx)
- Tom’s Audio Kompressor (tak)
- True Audio (tta)
- Windows Media Audio (wma)
- WavPack (wv)
- Batch Tag Editing Write ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, MP4, WMA, APEv2 Tags and Vorbis Comments to multiple files at once.
- Support for Cover Art Download and add album covers to your files and make your library even more shiny.
- Import from Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz Save typing and import tags from online databases like Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz, and more.
- Replace characters or words Replace strings in tags and filenames (with support for Regular Expressions).
- Create Playlists automatically Create and manage playlists automatically while editing.
- Rename files from tags Rename files based on the tag information and import tags from filenames.
- Export to HTML, RTF, CSV Generate nice reports and lists of your collection based on user-defined templates.
- Full Unicode Support User-interface and tagging are fully Unicode compliant.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.16 (2022-05-30):
- [2022-05-30] CHG: installer now uses 64-bit registry view to store installation settings for 64-bit version.
- [2022-05-28] CHG: minor improvements regarding initial dialog placement.
- [2022-05-27] FIX: applying filter expression via manage filter dialog did not filter the file list.
- [2022-05-27] FIX: selection state of filter list was reset after applying filter expression via manage filter dialog.
- [2022-05-24] FIX: adjusting varying covers via cover window had no effect on 64-bit (since v3.14e).
- [2022-05-24] FIX: runtime error when setting cover type or cover description for varying covers via cover window on 64-bit (since v3.14e).
- [2022-05-24] LNG: updated Armenian, Italian, and Hungarian translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.15 (2022-05-24):
- [2022-05-23] FIX: taskbar icon was missing when starting via shell extension in 3rd-party file managers under Windows 11 using Standard installation.
- [2022-05-16] CHG: added support for editing track-specific metadata in tracks list at Tag Sources confirmation dialog.
- [2022-05-16] CHG: use placeholders for current cover at action Export Cover.
- [2022-05-10] FIX: LAME encoder version wasn’t displayed on 64-bit.
- [2022-05-09] FIX: dialog for managing format string or filter expressions had cropped labels in some languages.
- [2022-05-08] NEW: added note if running 32-bit or 64-bit version to about dialog.
- [2022-05-08] FIX: runtime error when restoring previous selection when filtering files on 64-bit.
- [2022-05-07] FIX: potential data corruption when reading and saving configuration lists, e.g., tag mappings or filter histories on 64-bit (since v3.14e).
- [2022-05-07] FIX: activating running instance and passing files and folders did not work on 64-bit (since v3.14e).
- [2022-05-07] FIX: runtime error when adding cover art via context menu of cover window on 64-bit (since v3.14e).
- [2022-05-06] NEW: added support for 64-bit.
- [2022-04-23] NEW: added option to manage list of format strings at converters ‘Tag – Filename’, ‘Filename – Tag’, ‘Text file – Tag’, and ‘Tag – Tag’, including named format strings and descriptions for format strings.
- [2022-04-14] CHG: extended quick actions to remember previous inputs.
- [2022-04-13] FIX: display of checkmark for moved filter items wasn’t updated on move.
- [2022-04-13] FIX: UTF-8 conversion issue when migrating the previous filter history to the new format.
- [2022-04-13] NEW: added option to manage the list of filter expressions, including named filters and descriptions for filters.
- [2022-04-13] FIX: MusicBrainz tag source issue when parsing joinphrases.
- [2022-04-12] FIX: undoing after multiple tag copy and paste operations undos all operations and not only the last one.
- [2022-04-02] CHG: next sort doesn’t invert order in case files were added to the file list.
- [2022-04-02] CHG: added workaround for non-null padding bytes for INFO subchunks in WAV and AIF.
- [2022-04-01] CHG: optimizations regarding memory usage when refreshing a filtered file list.
- [2022-03-31] FIX: saving cover to local file did not work anymore when importing from Tag Sources (since 3.12c).
- [2022-03-31] FIX: changing cover properties did not work when auto-saving in some cases.
- [2022-03-30] CHG: display format string syntax errors in preview field of converter Tag – Tag.
- [2022-03-30] LNG: updated Chinese-CN, Corsican, Czech, French, and Hebrew translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.14 (2022-03-29):
- [2022-03-29] FIX: opening files and folders via Explorer context menu gave permission error with Microsoft Store version (since v3.12a).
- [2022-03-28] FIX: overwriting locally stored cover art file did not work anymore when importing from Tag Sources (since 3.12c).
- [2022-03-27] FIX: moving files did not select the next file in the File List but scrolled back to the top (since v3.12a).
- [2022-03-25] LNG: updated Chinese-CN, Hebrew, Hungarian, Russian, and Ukrainian translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.13 (2022-03-24):
- [2022-03-23] NEW: added support for `BARCODE`, `CATALOGNUMBER`, `ISRC`, and `MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMRELEASECOUNTRY` to MusicBrainz tag source.
- [2022-03-23] FIX: freedb web search via gnudb.org wasn’t working anymore.
- [2022-03-22] CHG: changed Discogs tag sources to use `CATALOGNUMBER` instead of `CATALOGID` to improve compatibility with other software.
- [2022-03-22] FIX: pseudorandom number generator used by `$rand()` was not seeded correctly in all cases.
- [2022-03-22] CHG: improved sorting performance for large libraries.
- [2022-03-15] CHG: added support for editing track-specific and common metadata at Tag Sources confirmation dialog.
- [2022-03-14] CHG: added support for internal resizing via horizontal splitter at Tag Sources confirmation dialog.
- [2022-03-13] CHG: added support to enable and disable import of cover art via checkbox at Tag Sources confirmation dialog.
- [2022-03-12] CHG: revised Tag Sources confirmation dialog to distinguish between track-specific and common metadata.
- [2022-03-11] FIX: length column was missing from title list at Tag Sources confirmation dialog (since v3.12c).
- [2022-03-11] CHG: revised Tag Sources confirmation dialog to allow selection of fields to import.
- [2022-03-11] NEW: added option to don’t show the message that asks for keeping existing cover art again at Tag Sources confirmation dialog.
- [2022-03-11] CHG: removed Utils > Compilation option from Tag Sources confirmation dialog which can be realized using an action Guess Values.
- [2022-03-10] FIX: playlist-specific placeholders were reset when loading new files or directories.
- [2022-03-08] CHG: added support for using online documentation as internal help.
- [2022-03-05] FIX: empty file name at export dialog also disabled edit, duplicate, and remove buttons.
- [2022-03-01] CHG: added workaround for MP4 data atoms with superfluous trailing null byte.
- [2022-02-28] FIX: cuesheets encoded with UTF-8 BOM were written with ANSI encoding.
- [2022-02-12] NEW: added `%_cover_description%` information field.
- [2022-02-12] CHG: added internal mapping for `MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID` field.
- [2022-02-12] CHG: added support for multi-value MP4 fields written as multiple `data` atoms.
- [2022-02-11] CHG: added confirmation question on editing via file list if the Tag Panel contains unsaved changes and auto-saving is not enabled.
- [2022-02-11] CHG: added confirmation question on choosing converter, actions, or extended tags if the Tag Panel contains unsaved changes and auto-saving is not enabled.
- [2022-02-10] FIX: taskbar icon was missing when starting from File Explorer shell extension under Windows 11 using Standard installation.
- [2022-02-09] FIX: apostroph character in export file path caused syntax error.
- [2022-02-09] CHG: added error reporting to formatting string language.
- [2022-02-08] CHG: ensured that characters with accents or umlauts are using the Unicode Normalization Form C when querying Tag Sources.
- [2022-02-06] CHG: automatically removing control characters \n \r \t when renaming files and folders.
- [2022-02-06] CHG: extended `$validate()` to replace control characters \n \r \t.
- [2022-02-04] CHG: added reporting of unsupported or corrupted file structure as error to ‘Tag’ column.
- [2022-02-02] CHG: added workaround for missing padding bytes for INFO subchunks in WAV and AIF.
- [2022-01-31] FIX: copying or moving files resulted in inconsistent display of data if overwrite or keep both is used.
- [2022-01-27] CHG: updated list of default freedb servers to remove invalid servers.
- [2022-01-25] FIX: configuration files with very long filenames produce runtime error when exporting settings.
- [2022-01-22] LNG: updated Brazilian Portuguese, Catalan, Chinese-CN, Czech, French, Hebrew, Italian, Slovak, Spanish, and Ukrainian translation.
Homepage – https://mp3tag.de
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 (32-bit, 64-bit).