Mp3tag is a powerful and easy-to-use universal Tag Editor that allows to edit metadata of common audio formats where it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE Tags.
It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words in tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more.
Mp3tag supports online database lookups from, e.g., Amazon, discogs, or freedb, allowing you to automatically gather proper tags and cover art for your music library.
Besides these features Mp3tag offers a variety of other functions and features ranging ranging from batch export of embedded album covers, over support for iTunes-specific tags like media type or TV Show settings, to combining multiple actions into groups that can be applied with a single mouse click.
Mp3tag supports the following audio formats:
- Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
- Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
- Monkey’s Audio (ape)
- Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
- MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
- Musepack (mpc)
- Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
- OptimFROG (ofr)
- OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
- Speex (spx)
- Tom’s Audio Kompressor (tak)
- True Audio (tta)
- Windows Media Audio (wma)
- WavPack (wv)
- Batch Tag Editing Write ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, MP4, WMA, APEv2 Tags and Vorbis Comments to multiple files at once.
- Support for Cover Art Download and add album covers to your files and make your library even more shiny.
- Import from Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz Save typing and import tags from online databases like Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz, and more.
- Replace characters or words Replace strings in tags and filenames (with support for Regular Expressions).
- Create Playlists automatically Create and manage playlists automatically while editing.
- Rename files from tags Rename files based on the tag information and import tags from filenames.
- Export to HTML, RTF, CSV Generate nice reports and lists of your collection based on user-defined templates.
- Full Unicode Support User-interface and tagging are fully Unicode compliant.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.03 (2020-10-02):
- NEW: added confirmation message to save configuration changes when closing action groups dialog.
- NEW: added option to sort list of action groups from right-click menu at action groups dialog.
- NEW: added state-changed indicator to action groups dialog window caption.
- NEW: added action groups dialog keyboard shortcuts Alt+Up, Alt+Down, Alt+Page Up, and Alt+Page Down for moving action groups in the list.
- NEW: added support for moving action groups via drag’n’drop in action groups dialog.
- NEW: added support for moving multiple selected action groups in action groups dialog.
- NEW: added support for selecting multiple action groups and changing their enabled state by clicking the checkmark of one item in the group.
- NEW: added action groups dialog keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+E to enable all action groups and Ctrl+U to disable all action groups. (#49589)
- NEW: added action groups dialog keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+A to invert current selection of action groups.
- NEW: added action groups dialog keyboard shortcut Ctrl+A to select all action groups.
- NEW: added action groups dialog keyboard shortcut Ctrl+S to save current state.
- NEW: added indicator on how many action groups are selected to action groups dialog.
- CHG: deleting files now always uses the setting at ‘Options > Messages’ for confirmation messages and if disabled the global system setting.
- CHG: sorting action groups by name now uses natural sorting.
- CHG: removed warning message that appears when saving configuration of action groups without any enabled action groups.
- CHG: renamed OK button to Apply at action groups dialog.
- CHG: right-click menu at action groups dialog is now also shown if no action group is selected.
- CHG: option to move action groups to top/bottom when Alt key is pressed.
- FIX: trailing pipe symbol `|` was removed from ID3v2 `UNSYNCEDLYRICS` field when saving tags.
- FIX: moving action groups via Alt keys or buttons did not keep moved action group visible.
- FIX: moving to beginning of lists during drag’n’drop did not trigger item scrolling if possible.
- FIX: added missing support for cover art for raw AAC files.
- FIX: added missing support for `*.jfif` image file extension when dropping cover art.
- LNG: updated Catalan, Hebrew, Spanish and Russian translation files.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.02 (2020-07-11):
- CHG: improved visual appearance of disabled menu item selection background to conform with system defaults.
- CHG: updated list of default freedb servers to include dbPowerAmp and gnudb.org servers.
- CHG: removed option to query data from freedb via web-based search due to freedb.org shutdown.
- CHG: re-added option to query data from freedb via web-based search from gnudb.org.
- FIX: not responding in some cases when cancelling reading files while Library feature was enabled.
- FIX: text of selected disabled menu items were not visible anymore under Windows 7 (since v3.00).
- LNG: updated Italian language file.
- LNG: updated Finnish language file.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.01 (2020-03-27):
- NEW: added support for `*.jfif` image file extension when adding cover art.
- NEW: added ‘Adjust cover’ to resize cover art via cover context menu.
- NEW: added support for WebM Container *.webm files.
- NEW: added support for WebM Container *.webm for Explorer context menu shell extension (requires restart to be updated if already installed).
- CHG: replace action now uses more characters to detect word boundaries if match as whole word is enabled.
- CHG: web sources commands `debug` and `debugwriteinput` now use app data directory as base if output filename has relative path.
- CHG: moved MP4-related optimization functions to Utils submenu in right-click context menu.
- CHG: optimized performance of local freedb index creation.
- CHG: added option to retry write to file operations from file list if file is being used by another application.
- CHG: added option to retry write to file operations if file is being used by another application.
- FIX: save configuration did not include *.inc files from tag sources directory.
- FIX: multi-field search for tag sources did not expand search placeholder `%s` in URLs anymore.
- FIX: multi-field search for album-only tag sources used encoding on whole parameter fragment when building URLs.
- FIX: possible runtime error when editing files via the file list while files were oading.
- FIX: filtered file list was not refreshed in some cases when files were added via drag and drop.
- FIX: list column width was not automatically adjusted when resizing action and export dialogs.
- FIX: saving MP4 with existing QuickTime chapters used global title instead of chapter names when creating Nero chapters.
- FIX: local freedb index database was deleted right after creation in some cases.
- FIX: populating the context menu and setting the context-menu item texts was off in some cases (since v3.00a).
- FIX: track length for Matroska files with chapters was length of first chapter also if listing of chapters as separate files was disabled.
- FIX: iTunes Soundcheck data produced by $rg2sc() was not detected for MP3 ID3v2 anymore.
- FIX: possible memory issue when handling Apple QuickTime chapter information.
- FIX: web sources command `gotoline` failed if target line was empty.
- FIX: navigation via tab was not possible at extended tags dialog if previous or next buttons reached the end and got disabled.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.00 (2020-01-23):
- [2020-01-14] NEW: action type ‘Adjust cover’ to resize cover art via actions.
- [2020-01-12] NEW: added support for MusicBrainz field MUSICBRAINZ_RELEASEGROUPID to MusicBrainz tag source.
- [2020-01-13] CHG: MusicBrainz cover tag source now also uses multi-field search for album and artist.
- [2020-01-10] CHG: json_select_array with index parameter now selects the object if array contains objects at web sources framework
- [2019-12-10] CHG: improved detection of high-contrast modes.
- [2019-12-04] CHG: disabled notification messages after changing, removing and saving tags by default.
- [2019-12-04] CHG: MusicBrainz tag source now also uses multi-field search for album and artist.
- [2019-11-12] CHG: added option to set file open dialog filter to all files at converter “Text file – Tag”.
- [2019-11-11] CHG: changed Discogs tag sources to use album artist instead of artist if present.
- [2019-11-09] CHG: changed to use double pipe symbol as SearchBy delimiter for tag sources.
- [2019-10-23] CHG: improved visual appearance of menu styles to conform with system defaults.
- [2020-01-15] FIX: unspecific error message after add field dialog at extended tag dialog looses focus while no field is selected.
- [2019-12-03] FIX: MusicBrainz release type was not parsed anymore.
- [2019-12-03] FIX: multi-field search for tag sources used encoding on whole parameter fragment when building URLs.
- [2019-11-13] FIX: display error message if non-existent file cannot be renamed.
- [2019-11-13] FIX: automatically escape special characters used for scripting at chosen file name for action “Import text file”.
- [2019-11-11] FIX: removed single dash from characters that are replaced from pre-filled search string for MusicBrainz tag source.
- [2019-11-11] FIX: removed duplicated entry for ACOUSTID_ID from list of standard tag fields.
- [2019-11-11] FIX: extended info in playlists could contain newline characters from tag contents.
- [2019-11-11] FIX: clipped text for longer search-by labels at tag sources search dialog.
- [2019-10-31] FIX: creating action groups with backslashes in its name did not work and was silently discarded.
- [2019-10-28] FIX: format string helper menu could contain duplicate entries for standard tags fields.
- [2019-10-27] FIX: format string helper menu also showed _DIRECTORY and _SEPARATOR as tag fields if used on Tag Panel.
- [2019-10-22] FIX: improved appearance of menu selection colors and menu text styles and colors in high-contrast modes.
- [2019-10-21] FIX: buttons to display format string helper menu were not accessible.
- [2019-10-20] FIX: cover-type submenu of cover-art context-menu was not accessible for screen readers.
Changes in Mp3tag 2.99a (2019-10-19):
- FIX: hotfix for occasional runtime error when right-clicking cover art window (since v2.99).
Changes in Mp3tag 2.99 (2019-10-18):
- FIX: MusicBrainz tag source stopped working after changes in server response format.
- FIX: occasional runtime error when adding cover art via drag’n’drop.
- FIX: filter view stayed disabled after exporting tags (since v2.97b).
- FIX: focus was sometimes not correctly set to next file when deleting files from a filtered file list.
- FIX: removing cover descriptions for multiple different covers had no effect.
- FIX: querying via Discogs Release ID stopped working in [r1234567] format (as available on the Discogs website) (since v2.97b).
- CHG: updated documentation to cover latest changes in web sources framework.
Homepage – https://mp3tag.de
Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).