Solus is a modern operating system that is designed for home computing for your daily needs. Every tweak enables us to deliver a cohesive computing experience. Install today, update forever.
Solus provides a multitude of experiences that enable you to get the most out of your hardware. From our flagship Budgie experience for modern devices to the more traditional MATE experience for lower-end devices, Solus aims to provide the best experience for your device.
This operating system is empowered by the shared vision of a strong community working for a common goal. All developments and improvements to Solus are by people who want to use their computers just like you do. Solus stands strong on an open platform, powered by industry-proven technologies, including GNU/Linux.
Solus ships with a variety of software. The default applications are:
- Files. Easily manage all your documents, music, photos, videos, and more with Files.
- Mozilla Firefox. A fast and secure web browser.
- Gnome MPV. Pop some popcorn and sit down to your favorite digital content via GNOME MPV.
- Rhythmbox. Play and manage your music and podcasts, as well as tune into online radio with Rhythmbox.
- Software Center. No more hunting around for apps! Install and manage them right from Software Center.
- Thunderbird. Take the hassle out of email by using the simple yet feature-rich Mozilla Thunderbird.
For home or office
Shipping with the latest version of the free LibreOffice suite, so that you can work on your documents, spreadsheets and presentations right away. In our Software Center you’ll also find options for accounting, Personal Information Management and more.
With Solus, you can spend less time setting up tooling and more time coding. OS supports a wide variety of editors, programming languages, compilers, and version control systems. Also containerization / virtualization technology such as Docker and Vagrant. Whether you’re writing drivers in C or writing backend web services in Go, the included software will fit your needs.
- Powerful editors and IDEs readily available, such as: Atom, Idea, GNOME Builder, Qt Creator, Visual Studio Code.
- Support for many languages, including: Go, Rust, PHP, Node.js, Ruby, and many more.
- Support for Bazaar, Git, Mercurial, SVN. Graphical tools like GitKraken and git-cola.
Many fantastic open source games are available natively for Solus, along with support for many gamepads and controllers. Within minutes you can be playing all your own Steam titles for Linux, with a modern, optimised gaming runtime and no setup hassles.
- Gamepad and controller software such as antimicro and sc-controller.
- Support for gaming platforms like Itch.io, Lutris, and Steam.
- Many free and open source titles including: Freeciv, OpenTTD, Red Eclipse, and Warzone 2100.
Solus provides a curated set of tailored experiences that enable you to get the most out of your hardware. Here are four Editions for you:
Budgie Edition – A feature-rich, luxurious desktop using the most modern technologies.
GNOME Edition – A finely crafted, contemporary user experience.
MATE Edition – A traditional desktop for advanced users and older hardware.
Plasma Edition – A sophisticated desktop experience for the tinkerers.
Homepage – https://getsol.us/
- A blank DVD or a 3GB USB drive.
- Minimum of 10GB of disk space available.
- 4GB of RAM for an optimal experience.
- A 64-bit (x86_64) processor.