BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) communications protocol. It is a method of distributing large amounts of data widely without the original distributor incurring the entire costs of hardware, hosting and bandwidth resources.
The protocol was designed in April 2001, implemented and first released 2 July 2001 by programmer Bram Cohen, and is now maintained by BitTorrent, Inc. It identifies content by URL and is designed to integrate seamlessly with the Web.
Its advantage over plain HTTP is that when multiple downloads of the same file happen concurrently, the downloaders upload to each other, making it possible for the file source to support very large numbers of downloaders with only a modest increase in its load.
Serving large files creates problems of scaling, flash crowds, and reliability. The key to cheap file distribution is to tap the unutilized upload capacity of your customers.
- Dynamic bandwidth management – download without disrupting other applications
- Detailed stats on the health of media files provides a safer, more controlled experience
- No hardware configuration – reduced hassle of fast downloads
The new version brings together BitTorrent’s proven expertise in networking protocols with µTorrent’s efficient implementation and compelling UI to create a better BitTorrent client.
BitTorrent Client Main Features:
- Lightweight client
- Local peer discovery
- Multiple simultaneous downloads
- Configurable bandwidth scheduler
- Global and per-torrent speed limiting
- Quick-resumes for interrupted transfers
- RSS Downloader
- Trackerless support (Mainline DHT)
- Always Spyware-Free
BitTorrent chooses peers in a swarm. Designed by Arvid Norberg, Canonical Peer Priority is a way to help peers connect to the swarm faster, as well as reduce the average hop length from you to any other peer in the swarm.
Changes in BitTorrent 7.10.5 Build 45785 (September 1, 2020):
- Update btfs install prompt dialog
- refactoring and overhaul the drawing link text code
- Integrate smart inclient torrent search
- Change tab Speed to tab Graph
- Add new search onboarding
- Bug fixes
Changes in BitTorrent 7.10.5 Build 45665 (July 1, 2020):
- Fix crash when adding magnet link
- Avoid crash when checking torrent using data structure not fully initialized
- Avoid crash by range-checking _advanced_selection before use in indexing _advanced_settings
- fix thread list leak
Changes in BitTorrent 7.10.5 Build 45496 (January 17, 2020):
- Mute/unmute TronTV on minimize/restore
- Fix rollout percentage calculation
- Cleanup extra unchoke slot logic
Changes in BitTorrent 7.10.5 Build 45404 (November 14, 2019):
- Аdd glоbе ісоn fоr lаnguаgе ѕеlесtіоn іn ѕtаtuѕ bаr
- Dеfаult thе сlіеnt’ѕ lаnguаgе tо thе ОЅ’ѕ lаnguаgе
- Fіх bug рrеvеntіng dеfаult vаluеѕ fоr рrіmаrу/ѕесоndаrу DNЅ ѕеttіngѕ frоm bеіng rеѕtоrеd
- Аvоіd сrаѕh іn ѕоmе саѕеѕ оf аllоwіng еnсrурtеd іnсоmіng рееr соnnесtіоnѕ
Changes in BitTorrent 7.10.5 Build 45272 (July 22, 2019):
- Add globe icon for language selection in status bar
- Default the client’s language to the OS’s language
- Fix bug preventing default values for primary/secondary DNS settings from being restored
- Avoid crash in some cases of allowing encrypted incoming peer connections
Homepage – https://www.bittorrent.com
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
- Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- Android 5.0 and later.
Size: 15.9 MB