It can backup your data and reduce size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format. The archiver puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression.
By consistently creating smaller archives, WinRAR is often faster than the competition. This will save you disc space, transmission costs AND valuable working time as well. WinRAR is ideal for multimedia files. It automatically recognizes and selects the best compression method.
The special compression algorithm compresses multimedia files, executables and object libraries particularly well. RAR files can usually compress content by 8% to 15% more than ZIP files can.
Features of WinRAR:
- Compression. WinRAR products are considered the best and fastest compression tools on the market. RAR or Zip your files, to protect, organize and share them safely and securely.
- Encryption. Military-grade AES 256-bit encryption technology that password protects archives including all metadata.
- RAR Files. WinRAR is the only software that can create RAR archives and offers a number of advanced features such as multivolume archives, tight compression and a recovery record.
- Password Manager. Integrated password manager assists in keeping track of difficult and hard to remember passwords for password protected archives.
- Perpetual License. Perpetual license model, valid for a lifetime. No subscription.
- Recovery Record. WinRAR products are designed to recover damaged files.
- Split Archives. Split archives into smaller, more manageable files.
- Backup. Advanced backup options, time-stamped files and previous file version retention.
- Drag-and-drop. Fully supported drag-and-drop functionality.
- Language Version – WinRAR products are available in over 40 languages.
- Virus Scan. Built-in virus scanner prevents corrupted archives from being unpacked.
- Multivolume Archives. Complete support for multivolume archives and the creation of self-extracting (SFX) archives.
- Unicode. Supports Unicode file names.
- Compliance. Admin controls allow complete control over passwords, prevents accidental modification of archives and protects data.
- Ctrl+A keyboard shortcut selects the entire text in WinRAR comment window.
- If -idn switch is used together with -t or -df in console RAR when archiving, it additionally disables “Deleting ” or “Testing ” messages, normally issued by these switches. Also -idn disables folder creation messages when extracting a file to non-existing folder.
- WinRAR and ZIP SFX module refuse to extract contents of ZIP SFX archives if ZIP central directory is resided after beginning of Authenticode digital signature. It is done to prevent possible attacks with inclusion of ZIP archive into signature body.
- Bugs fixed:
- “Convert archives” command could incorrectly convert Unicode comments in RAR archives.
- if two archive information windows had been opened from Explorer context menu, the compression ratio bar in the first window could erroneously display a value for second archive. It did not affect the ratio and other text details at the right of window. Only the vertical bar at the left could be updated to a wrong value;
- if “Wait if other WinRAR copies are active” option was enabled in extraction dialog, “Waiting for another WinRAR copy” title was not set in command progress window while waiting;
- when extracting a symbolic link, previous versions did not overwrite existing symbolic links even if user requested it in overwrite prompt.
Changes in WinRAR 5.91:
- Dialogs are centered inside of WinRAR window similarly to WinRAR 5.80 and not inside of entire screen as in WinRAR 5.90.
- When editing an archived file with external software, extra measures are taken to reduce the probability of interfering with editor and opening its temporary files while editor still may need them.
- “Version to extract” field in archive properties opened from Windows Explorer context menu provides the additional information about ZIP compression and encryption algorithms, such as LZMA or AES. This information was already available in WinRAR “Info” command, but missed in archive information accessible from Windows Explorer.
- “MS DOS” and “Unix” host OS types are recognized and included for LZH archives in “Info” command. Previously the host OS field was always “Unknown” for LZH archive format.
- Files created by external editor and matching “Settings/Viewer/. Ignore modifications for” masks are never added to archive. Previously WinRAR still added them if some file not matching these masks was also created or modified.
- Bugs fixed:
- empty file names were displayed inside of some Unix LZH archives;
- WinRAR could not process more than 999 7z volumes in a single set;
- if user cancelled the user account control prompt after changing “Integrate WinRAR into shell” option, a new state of this option was displayed in “Settings” dialog, even though the actual state of shell integration was not modified;
- the main window size could be too small on the first run after clean install with no previous WinRAR version present;
- WinRAR could stop responding after editing an archived file with external software in Windows 10 version 2004.
Changes in WinRAR 5.90:
- RAR compression speed is improved for CPUs with 16 and more cores.
- “Fastest” method (-m1 command line equivalent) typically achieves a higher compression ratio for highly compressible data types when creating RAR5 archives.
- Maximum number of utilized threads is increased from 32 to 64. Command line -mt switch accepts values from 1 to 64.
- “Multithreading” parameter on “General” page of WinRAR settings is replaced with “Threads” input field, where you can specify the desired number of CPU threads. It can take values from 1 to maximum number of available logical CPU units.
- WinRAR displays packed and unpacked folder sizes when browsing archive contents.
- “Total folders” field is added to list of archive parameters displayed by WinRAR “Info” command. Same field is added to “Archive” page in archive properties in Windows Explorer.
- Window including a progress bar and “Cancel” button is displayed if reading archive contents takes noticeable time. It can be useful for archive formats with slower access to contents, such as large TAR based archives like .tar.gz and tar.bz2.
- Archiving and extraction progress windows, also as progress windows for some other commands, can be resized.
- “Repair” performance for RAR5 archives with recovery record and without data shifts is improved. It deteriorated in WinRAR 5.80 and is now restored to original level.
- Password prompt is not issued when performing recovery record based repair for RAR5 archives with encrypted file names. This command can be performed without providing a password.
- If folder for converted archives in “Convert archives” command does not exist, WinRAR attempts to create it. Previous versions failed to create converted archives in non-existent destination folder.
- Added extraction support for GZIP archives with optional header checksum field.
- Bugs fixed:
- a) “Repair” command could erroneously display “Recovery record is corrupt” message when processing an archive with valid recovery record. This message did not prevent further repair operation;
- b) if quick open information option was set to “Do not add” in default compression profile and this profile was loaded by some command or dialog, WinRAR ignored quick open information when browsing contents of RAR archives. For example, it happened after opening archiving or password dialogs;
- c) Ctrl+C “Copy” shortcut key did not work in archive comment window;
- d) if “Put each file to separate archive” and “Archives in subfolders” options were set, WinRAR ignored the destination path specified in archive name field.
Changes in WinRAR 5.80:
- 1. “Preserve source files last access time” option on “Time” page of archiving dialog permits to preserve the original last access time of archiving files.
- 2. Command line -tsp switch can be used to preserve the original last access time of archiving files. It can be combined with other -ts switches, like: rar a -tsc -tsp arcname files
- 3. It is allowed to combine several modifiers in the same -ts switch. For example, we can use -tscap instead -tsc -tsa -tsp.
- 4. WinRAR can read default values of command line switches from rar.ini text file, which can be stored either in the same folder as WinRAR.exe or in %APPDATA%\WinRAR folder. This file includes strings in following format:
First applies switches to all and second to individual commands. For example:
Most of switches specified in rar.ini are used only in the command line mode. Some switches can be applicable both in shell and in command line modes. Previously this rar.ini format was supported only by console RAR.
- 5. Command line -agf switch specifies the default format string for -ag switch. It has a practical value only if placed to rar.ini configuration file or to RAR environment variable. For example, if we set RAR environment variable to -agfYYYY-MMM-DD, we can use -ag without a parameter with YYYY-MMM-DD format string assumed.
- 6. Switches -ed and -e+d can be used in archive processing commands for any combination of RAR and archive operating systems. In older versions RAR for Windows could not use them for Unix RAR archives also as RAR for Unix for Windows RAR archives.
- 7. Previously “Test” command failed to check integrity of archived NTFS alternate data streams and issued “Unknown data header format” warning if size of such stream exceeded 16 MB. This limitation is removed now.
- 8. Archiving speed for large NTFS alternate data streams on multi-core CPUs is increased.
- 9. “Find” command:
- a) when extracting encrypted files directly from “Search results” dialog, password prompt was issued for every found file even if all files belonged to same archive. Now password is requested only once per archive;
- b) Ctrl+A hotkey selects all files in “Search results”.
- 10. Archive comment window:
- a) previous versions did not allow to use Ctrl+W shortcut to close WinRAR when comment window had keyboard focus. Now Ctrl+W works also from comment window;
- b) mouse wheel is supported also for comments with ANSI Escape sequences;
- c) for some lenghty comments with ANSI Escape sequences last line of comment was visible only partially even after scrolling up to bottom. It is displayed comletely now.
- 11. Maximum path length for files in 7z archives is increased up to 2048 characters. While such lengthy paths were already supported for RAR and ZIP formats, previous versions limited the path length to 260 characters for 7z archives.
- 12. If archive or file name is too lengthy to fit to archiving or extraction progress window, it is truncated. Previously such names were truncated at the end, making the file extension invisible. This version truncates them removing the path component and symbols in the middle, but preserving beginning of file name and file extension.
- 13. If files selected for archiving differ only by extension, a proposed archive name is based on their name part. For example, archiving dialog will propose Readme.rar if we selected Readme.txt and Readme.doc. Previous versions always generated the archive name based on parent folder name for several selected files.
- 14. “Symlink” and “Hardlink” is diplayed in “Type” column for symlink and hardlink records in .tar archives. Previous versions displayed a proper type for such records only in .rar archives.
- 15. Copying and pasting files from large archives could fail if extraction took a lot of time. This version can paste files from such archives as well, but we have to start extraction already on “Copy” command and not on “Paste” to achieve this.
- 16. Similarly to RAR5 volumes, recovery volumes in RAR4 format use the same width of volume number field as corresponding RAR volumes. While previously WinRAR could create arc.part01.rar and arc.part1.rev in RAR4 format, now both types of volumes will use “part01”.
- 17. “Set font…” button in “Settings/File list” also changes the folder tree panel font. Previously it changed only the file list font.
- 18. “Find files” and command line mode “i” commands:
- a) if “Use all tables” option or “t” modifer of “i” command are used, additionally to already supported ANSI, OEM and UTF-16 encodings WinRAR will search the specified string in UTF-8 files as well;
- b) better support for Unicode text strings;
- c) better performance, especially for case insensitive search;
- d) hexadecimal search output includes both text and hexadecimal representation of found matches.
- 19. File and total progress bar is displayed when unpacking tar.bz2, tar.gz, tar.lz, tar.xz, tar.z archives. Previously only the total progress was displayed properly for tar.bz2, tar.gz and tar.z. Neither file nor total progress was displayed for tar.lz and tar.xz.
- 20. “File list/Files/Exact sizes” option also changes the file size format in WinRAR status bar.
- 21. Bugs fixed:
- a) if non-existent path is specified in archive name in archiving dialog, WinRAR proposes to create such path. Previous versions could create such path in WinRAR start-up folder instead of currently displayed folder;
- b) WinRAR could crash when adding the recovery record in RAR5 format on CPUs not supporting CPUID EAX=7 command and returning random data in response. These are some CPUs from early 2000s;
- c) WinRAR failed to create archives after dragging files with right mouse button in Windows shell, dropping them to another folder, selecting “Add to archive…” in context menu and enabling “Put each file to separate archive” option;
- d) “winrar r *.zip” command repaired only the first ZIP archive in the set if all archives had numeric names like 1.zip, 2.zip and signatures in the beginning of archives were missing;
- e) previous WinRAR version failed to unpack folder records in archives created by RAR 1.50;
- f) in rare cases WinRAR failed to extract and reported an error for valid .gz archives produced by some compression optimization tools;
- g) progress bar in tray icon never reached 100% in high DPI mode;
- h) creation and last access time was not displayed for archived folders if folder records were stored in archive after folder contents;
- i) “Skip encrypted archives” option in “Convert archives” command did not work for 7-Zip archives with headers encryption.
Changes in WinRAR 5.71:
- 1. “Convert archives” command:
- a) improved performance when processing a lot of small archives in Windows 10;
- b) fixed memory leaks which could lead to excessive memory use when converting to ZIP format.
- 2. Corrupt ZIP archive processing:
- a) “Repair” command replaces packed and unpacked file sizes stored in local file header with sizes from central directory if local header sizes look invalid;
- b) file extraction is stopped at unpacked size stored in ZIP headers even if available packed data allows further extraction. It is done to prevent unexpected hard drive space usage.
- 3. Ctrl+C allows to abort RAR “l” command quickly. In previous versions it could take several seconds until list command stopped.
- 4. Bugs fixed:
- a) WinRAR could crash when attempting to display some types of archive comments in GUI shell, resulting in a denial of service;
- b) if “Save archive name” and “Add to context menu” options were set in compression profile parameters and profile was invoked from Explorer context menu, WinRAR proposed an automatically generated archive name instead of name saved in profile.
- c) WinRAR displayed an unneeded pair of round brackets in “Archive” column of “Diagnostic messages” window for system error messages;
- d) “Extract to folder\” Windows Explorer context menu command could fail to unpack ZIP archives if their names included a numeric part followed by .zip extension, arbitrary data was present before the first file record and “Remove redundant folders from extraction path” WinRAR option was switched on;
- e) in “RAR x -x arcname” command, parent folders of files matching the specified mask also were excluded from extracting;
- f) “Find” command returned the current folder own name additionally to its contents for “Current folder” search area if folder name matched “File names to find” mask;
- g) if “Find in files” and “Find in archives” are both enabled, “Find” command did not match an archive name itself against “File names to find” mask after searching inside of archive. So it did not display archive names for masks like *.rar and applied this mask only to files inside of archives;
- h) when running an executable directly from archive, WinRAR 5.70 did not set a temporary folder with unpacked files as current. So executables attempting to access other archived files in current folder could fail to work;
- i) WinRAR could be inaccessible for few seconds after closing an archived file opened in internal viewer in Windows 10;
- j) dragging a file to subfolder of ZIP archive with “Store full paths”option enabled produced invalid pathnames consisting of repeated subfolder name. Same invalid pathnames were produced if adding files to ZIP archive with -ap -ep2 switches.
Homepage – https://www.win-rar.com
WinRAR is Windows 10 compatible, available in over 50 languages in both 32bit and 64bit and several operating systems (OS) and the only compression software that is fully accepted in all countries using Unicode.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
- Server 2012, 2016, 2019.
Size: 2.96 MB