Hard Disk Sentinel (HDSentinel) is a multi-OS HDD/SSD monitoring and analysis application. Its goal is to find, test, diagnose and repair disk drive problems. Also it reports and displays SSD and HDD health, performance degradations and failures.
Hard Disk Sentinel gives complete textual description, tips and reports the most comprehensive information about the Hard Disks and Solid State Disks inside the computer or in external enclosures (USB, e-SATA). Many different alerts and report options are available to ensure maximum safety of your valuable data.
Hard Disk Sentinel Features:
The software monitors Hard Disk Drive status. That include health, temperature and all S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology, built in most HDD and SSD today) values for each disks.
Also HDSentinel measures the disk transfer speed in real time. It can be used as a benchmark or to detect possible HD failures, performance degradations.
Hard Disk Sentinel is the perfect data protection solution. It can be effectively used to prevent HDD failure and SSD / HDD data loss. Because it has the most sensitive disk health rating system which is extremely sensitive to disk problems. This way even a small HDD problem can’t be missed.
The Professional version has scheduled and automatic (on-problem) disk backup options to prevent data loss caused by not only failure but by malware or accidental delete also.
HDD Sentinel runs in the background and verifies SSD / HDD health status by inspecting the SMART status of the disk(s). If an error is found or unexpected behaviour is detected, it warns the user about the current situation and also can perform appropriate actions. For example, start an automatic backup.
Usually, hard disk health status may slowly decline, from day to day. The SMART monitoring technology can predict HDD failure by examining the critical values of the disk drive. Compared to other software, Hard Disk Sentinel detects and reports every disk problem.
The software also displays the current hard disk temperature and logs maximum and average HDD temperatures. This may be used to check the maximum temperature under high hard disk load.
- Fixed Health % display for some Sandisk SDSSDH3 solid state drives
Changes in Hard Disk Sentinel 6.00 (2022-03-08):
Improvements and new features:
- new function: Disk menu -> Surface test -> Quick Fix (targeted repair of problematic sectors)
Verify which area(s) of the disk drive reported problems and written recently then diagnose, repair specifically those (and nearby) sectors and critical system areas. The test forces the disk drive to repair any problematic (pending, weak) sectors: restore the status to good or reallocate (replace from spare area) if required to prevent further use of the original sector (Pro version only)
- new function for advanced users (PRO version only): Disk menu -> Device Specific Information to detect and display additional details including:
– Power on time when last error detected/logged by the hard disk/SSD (registered version only)
– Time since last error detected/logged by the hard disk/SSD (registered version only)
– Sector(s) where errors happened previously and their location by block number on the disk surface map (registered version only)
– ATA error log: last known errors, their description, registers, error details, last commands before error
– ATA self test log: last disk self tests, self test results and details (registered version only)
– ATA drive statistics: lifetime details, errors, temperature statistics
– ATA drive statistics: rotating media statistics (hard disk drives) or solid state device statistics (SSDs)
– ATA drive disk utilization and absolute limits for amount of reads/writes and temperature limits (if defined by the manufacturer)
– ATA drive temperature statistics, last known recorded temperature values
– ATA drive additional features and functionality supported by the hard disk drive/SSD
– NVMe error log
– NVMe self test log: last disk self tests, test results and possible error details (registered version only)
– SCSI/SAS defect list information
– SCSI/SAS background scan status information, protocol specific port information
- Device Specific Information recorded and can be re-loaded to review previous statistics
- Device Specific Information automatically shows the changes of most important values compared to previous data (registered version only)
- Extended S.M.A.R.T. detection: detect additional details / information for more accurate status/health reporting by detection of Ext. S.M.A.R.T. attributes
- added option to perform hardware self test on NVMe SSDs (if supported):
Disk menu -> Short Self Test, Disk menu -> Extended Self Test functions can be used on NVMe SSDs when available.
The Information page confirms if Device Self Test feature is supported by the SSD.
NVMe self test is possible with
– Windows Standard NVMe controller driver (may prevent too frequent self tests)
– Intel NVMe controller driver or Intel Volume Management Device NVMe RAID controller driver
– Samsung NVMe controller driver
– Micron NVMe controller driver
– JMicron USB-NVMe adapters/external NVMe-USB enclosures with JMicron chipsets
- option to schedule short / extended self test on NVMe SSDs too (registered Hard Disk Sentinel Pro version)
- new buttons in the button bar to open Windows Disk Management and Windows Device Manager
- display Windows Drive Index (Physicaldriveindex) on the Information page if RAID array(s) present
- display/report NVMe Maximum Power use in mW units on the Information page
- improved disk surface test performance for NVMe SSDs: much faster Disk menu -> Read test possible on NVMe SSDs (in memoriam Neduddki)
- improved Disk Repair test: counts and displays the amount of sectors successfully repaired and failed to repair
- amount of disk status history increased to allow logging and check back additional of historical status/health/temperature statistics
- improved write disk testing, Disk Contents Inspector and general support of SAS drives with 520 or 528 bytes/sector sizes
Improved hardware support:
- added support of AMD NVMe RAID solution: detect the status (health, temperature, lifetime writes, complete self-monitoring details) of NVMe M.2 PCIe SSDs managed by AMD RAID (both standalone and RAID configurations)
Requires AMD RAID driver 9.3.0-00266 or newer version.
Note: if the detection does not seem working immediately, a reboot / power cycle may be required
- added support of Adaptec SmartRAID 3102E-8i controller: detect status information about hard disks / SSDs in RAID or standalone configuration
- added detection of hard disks / SSDs configured as RAID on LSI LIBERATOR (LSI 9750-8i) controller, detect complete disk information / S.M.A.R.T. status of SATA / SAS hard disks / SSDs
- added support of LSI MegaRAID (MegaSR) / Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology II SATA RAID controller: detect status information of SATA disk drives in RAID configuration (if possible by the driver)
- added support of Apricorn Fortress L3 and Padlock 3 external hard disk drives and Apricorn ASK3 or ASK3z Secure Key pendrives: in addition to the robust design and security functions the hard disk drives and pendrives supported by Hard Disk Sentinel: complete health, temperature, self-monitoring S.M.A.R.T. status detected and displayed.
- added support of SSK USB 3.1 / 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) NVMe adapter: detect NVMe SSD status
- added support of Kingston XS2000 SSD, Goodram CX400 G2, Zadak SSD
- improved support of some Acer SSDs, Sandisk SSDs, Lite-on SSDs
- improved status reporting with FreeCom Public-disk external hard disk drives
- improved detection with Intel Optane configurations
- improved compatibility with Intel VROC NVMe SSD RAID
- improved health detection and reporting of various Sandisk and Crucial SSDs
- added support of Kingston Design-In SSDs (OMSP0S3, OM4P0S3, OM8P0S3, OCP0S3)
- improved compatibility and disk status reporting with Orico NS500RU3 3.5 inch 5 Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure
- improved health/status reporting for PNY SATA SSDs
- improved display of power on time, health, status of newer WD / Hitachi SAS hard disk drives
- improved compatibility with LSI controller with multiple arrays and higher number of hard disks / SSDs configured
- improved compatibility with Promise Supertrak 8350 SATA RAID controller
- improved compatibility with older SD/micro SD card readers
- improved compatibility with some Kingston, Toshiba, Micron SSDs
- improved text description of NVMe SSDs upon different problems / error conditions
- adjusted calculation and reporting lower health on failing / problematic NVMe SSDs
- improved detection with ASMEDIA ASM236x series USB-NVMe adapters
- improved detection with Adaptec / Microsemi SAS RAID controllers and HBAs
- improved detection with LSI / IBM / Intel SAS RAID controllers, improved dedicated hot spare reporting
- improved support of Seagate Firecuda drives
- improved support of Crucial CT2000MX500SSD1 SSD, Patriot P200 SSD, Micron SSDs, WDC PC SA530 SSDs
- improved power on time display for SAS hard disk drives, SAS SSDs
- improved display of stored file at a sector during disk surface test
- improved Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair test
- improved support of Sandisk X600 SSDs, Transcend SSDs, MemKing SSDs
- improved compatibility and detection with LSI/Avago/Broadcom 9400 series SAS HBA
- improved support of HP SATA/SAS HBA controllers
- improved support of some Micron SATA SSDs, Plextor SATA SSDs, Kingston SATA SSDs
- improved disk surface test performance log
- added support of DELL SD1-U0250 SSD, YGC-SA3-128G SSD, Netac SSD, Sandisk SD8SBBU480G1122,
- added support of ProGrade PG05.5 CFExpress memory card reader
- added support of Crucial X6 SSD: detect temperature, self-monitoring status, health, S.M.A.R.T. details
- added support of Patriot Supersonic Rage Prime pendrive: detect temperature, self-monitoring status, health, S.M.A.R.T. details
- added support of Team Group TC21231TBB01 pendrive: detect temperature, self-monitoring status, health, S.M.A.R.T. details
- added support of Swissbit U-50n, U-56n series industrial pendrives: detect temperature, self-monitoring status, health, and extended S.M.A.R.T. data
- improved support/compatibility with Intel SSDPE2MD400G4
- added/improved support of some HIKVISION SSDs
- improved database saving and option to re-load last known status of offline disks
- improved support of some Micron/Crucial SATA SSDs
- added support of Kingston SDCIT2 industrial (micro) SD cards
- added support of i-tec MySafe 2×2.5″ USB 3.1 enclosure: detect S.M.A.R.T. status of both drives in RAID0/RAID1/JBOD mode
- added support of Walram SATA SSD
- improved detection of RAID / Hot spare drive(s) with older Intel RST drivers
- improved support of some Kingston, Sandisk, Patriot SSDs
- improvements for ADATA SD Express cards
- improvements for AMD RAID with high number of SATA hard disks/SSDs and NVMe SSDs
Bug fixes, further modifications:
- minor improvements on non-English languages
- service mode improvements
- improved WMI functionality support
- minor changes for Windows 11
Homepage – https://www.hdsentinel.com
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 (32-bit, 64-bit).
- Server 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019.
Hard Disk Sentinel supports the detection of all hard disk drives, regardless of their connection and size. This includes all IDE, S-ATA (including Serial ATA II and Serial ATA 6G), SCSI, SAS, USB hard disk models with even capacities 2 TB and over. Hard Disk Sentinel automatically detects and displays the supported features of the disks, the temperature and health information.
Different hard disk drives have different features. Older hard disk models may not have temperature sensors – in such cases no temperature information is displayed in the software.
Hard Disk Sentinel also maintains a hard disk drive database with full details of over 6000 hard disk models from various vendors. This includes known hard disks from the past 15 years, from less than 100 MB models to today’s top and newest hard disk drives.
Hard Disk Sentinel both supports hybrid drives (SSHD) and supports over 2000 SSD models with different connections including IDE, SATA, mSATA, M.2, NVMe, SAS, USB and so.
Size: 34.4 MB