Memtest86 by PassMark is a comprehensive, free, stand alone memory diagnostic software It is designed to stress test an x86 compatible computer’s random access memory (RAM) for errors.
MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive and tests the RAM in your computer for faults using a series of comprehensive algorithms and test patterns. It tries to verify that the RAM will accept and correctly retain arbitrary patterns of data written to it.
Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to every memory address, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors. Using the information about the chipset you can enhance these tests – particularly in an overclocked system.
PassMark Memtest86 Main Features:
- 13 different RAM testing algorithms
- DDR4 RAM (and DDR2 and DDR3) support
- XMP – high performance memory profiles
- UEFI – The new graphical standard for BIOS
- 64bit – From version 5, MemTest86 is native 64bit code
- ECC RAM – support for error-correcting code RAM
- Secure boot – With MemTest86 being code signed by Microsoft
- Graphical interface, mouse support and logging of results to disk
- Foreign language support (Chinese, German and more)
- Self booting off USB, without needing DOS, Linux nor Windows
- Network (PXE) boot – Scalable, disk-less provisioning from a single PXE server
Unreliable RAM can cause a multitude of problems. Corrupted data, crashes and unexplained behaviour. Bad RAM is one of the most frustrating computer problems to have as symptoms are often random and hard to pin down. MemTest86 can help diagnose faulty RAM (or rule it out as a cause of system instability). As such it is often used by system builders, PC repair stores, overclockers and PC manufacturers.
The number 86 following the MemTest part of the name, refers to the original x86 CPU instruction set that all of today’s PCs use. This covers both 32-bit and 64-bit machines. (So there is no need for a future product called MemTest64).
Free, Professional or Site Edition
Since MemTest86 v5, the software is offered as a Free edition, or as a paid for Pro and Site edition. The Pro edition offers a number of additional features such as customizable reports and automation via a configuration file. The Site edition includes all features in the Pro Edition but also supports scalable deployment of MemTest86 across LAN via PXE boot.
MemTest86 supports booting from the newer UEFI platform.
When booting from UEFI, MemTest86 has access to additional services not available in BIOS including:
- Native 64-bit support
- No longer requires the use of the PAE workaround to access more than 4GB of memory. (PAE = Physical Address Extension)
- Mouse support, where supported by the underlying UEFI system. On older systems a keyboard is still required.
- Improved USB keyboard support. The keyboard now works on systems that fail to emulate IO Port 64/60 correctly. So Mac USB keyboards are now supported.
- Improved multi-threading support, where supported by the underlying UEFI system.
- Reporting of detailed RAM SPD information. Timings, clock speeds, vendor names and much more.
- Support to writing to the USB drive that MemTest86 is running from for logging and report generation. In all prior MemTest86 releases, there was no disk support.
- Use of GPT. (GUID Partition Table)
- ECC RAM support (limited hardware support, ongoing development)
- Detection of ECC support in both the RAM and memory controller
- Polling for ECC errors
- Injection of ECC errors for test purposes. (limited hardware only)
- Support for DDR4 RAM (and associated hardware), including retrieval and reporting of DDR4-specific SPD details. This includes DDR4 RAM that support Intel XMP 2.0 DDR4 RAM timings
- Option to disable CPU caching for all tests
- Support for Secure Boot.
- Speed improvements of between 10% and 30%+. Especially for tests, #5, #8 & #9. This is the result more moving to native 64bit code, removing the PAE paging hack, switching compilers and using faster random number generation algorithms.
- Addition of 2 new memory tests to take advantage of 64bit data and SIMD instructions.
- Support for network PXE boot for scalable, diskless deployment to multiple targets
Changes in Memtest86 8.2:
- Added support for up to 2 TB of RAM on X64 CPUs
- Added experimental SMT support up to 32 cores (Press F2 to enable at startup)
- Added complete detection for memory controllers
- Added Motherboard Manufacturer & Model reporting
- Added CPU temperature reporting
- Added enhanced Fail Safe Mode (Press F1 at startup)
- Added support for Intel “Sandy Bridge-E” CPUs
- Added support for Intel “Ivy Bridge” CPUs
- Added preliminary support for Intel “Haswell” CPUs (Core 4th Gen)
- Added preliminary support for Intel “Haswell-ULT” CPUs
- Added support for AMD “Kabini” (K16) CPUs
- Added support for AMD “Bulldozer” CPUs
- Added support for AMD “Trinity” CPUs
- Added support for AMD E-/C-/G-/Z- “Bobcat” CPUs
- Added support for Intel Atom “Pineview” CPUs
- Added support for Intel Atom “Cedar Trail” CPUs
- Added SPD detection on most AMD Chipsets
- Enforced Coreboot support
- Optimized run time for faster memory error detection
- Rewriten lots of memory timings detection cod
- Corrected bugs, bugs and more bugs (some could remain)
Homepage – https://www.memtest86.com
- x86 based hardware, 32bit or 64bit
- UEFI platform firmware
- Windows, Linux, or Mac OS
- USB Flash Drive (>= 512MB capacity)
- IMPORTANT: MemTest86 V8 images support only UEFI boot. On machines that don’t support UEFI, MemTest86 will not boot. Please download the older V4 BIOS release of MemTest86 instead.
- Installation and usage instructions are available on the Technical Information page
- MemTest86 is a stand-alone program that does not require or use any operating system for execution. The version of Windows, Linux, or Mac being used is irrelevant for execution. However, you must use either Windows, Linux or Mac to create a bootable USB drive.
Size: 8.55 MB