Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc. It is significantly faster than similar utilities and it’s open source and free. All versions of Rufus allow the creation of a bootable USB from an ISO image.
Use Rufus especially for cases to:
- Create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.).
- Work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed.
- Run a low-level utility.
- Flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS.
Rufus Portable is a USB formatting utility which also can create a bootable USB drive using a bootable ISO image. This app requires admin rights. Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Rufus is fast. For instance it’s about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer. Or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
Rufus support UEFI as well as GPT for installation media, meaning that it will allow you to install Windows 7, Windows 8 or Linux in full EFI mode.
However, Windows Vista or later is required for full UEFI/GPT support. Because of OS limitations, Windows XP restricts the creation of UEFI bootable drives to MBR mode.
Supported Languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech. Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian. Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian. Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin). Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
Changes in Rufus 3.5 (2019-03-28):
- Add a feature to download official retail Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 ISOs
(Note: ‘Check for updates’ must be enabled for the above to be active)
- Add Windows To Go support for MCT generated Windows ISOs
- Add a notice about the WppRecorder.sys Microsoft bug for Windows 10 1809 ISOs
- Add a notice about trying to format a drive larger than 2 TB in MBR mode
- Add a notice about Legacy boot when trying to boot UEFI-only media in Legacy mode
- Report the full PID and command line of potentially blocking processes in the log
- Fix a potential silent abort when the drive is in use
- Fix ‘Quick Format’ option always being activated
- Fix potential change of the selected file system after an ISO has been loaded
- Fix Win7 x64 EFI bootloader not being extracted in dual BIOS+UEFI mode (Alt-E)
Homepage – https://rufus.ie
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7 or later, 32 or 64 bit doesn’t matter.
Size: 1008 KB