7-Zip is an open source file archiver with the high compression ratio predominantly for the Microsoft Windows operating system.
It operates either as a command line program or with a graphical user interface. It also features integration with the Windows shell environment.
7-Zip is free software, developed by Igor Pavlov and distributed under the GNU LGPL license.
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format.
And it compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.
This file archiver works on all Windows operating systems, from Windows NT to Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit).
The main features:
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression and LZMA2 compression
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, the provided compression ratio is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 87 languages
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
Changes in 7-Zip 18.05 (2018-05-01):
- The speed for single-thread LZMA/LZMA2 decoding was increased by 30% in x64 version and by 3% in x86 version.
- 7-Zip now can use multi-threading for 7z/LZMA2 decoding, if there are multiple independent data chunks in LZMA2 stream.
- 7-Zip now can use multi-threading for xz decoding, if there are multiple blocks in xz stream.
- The speed for LZMA/LZMA2 compressing was increased by 8% for fastest/fast compression levels and by 3% for normal/maximum compression levels.
- 7-Zip now shows Properties (Info) window and CRC/SHA results window as “list view” window instead of “message box” window.
- Some improvements in zip, hfs and dmg code.
- Previous versions of 7-Zip could work incorrectly in “Large memory pages” mode in Windows 10 because of some BUG with “Large Pages” in Windows 10. Now 7-Zip doesn’t use “Large Pages” on Windows 10 up to revision 1709 (16299).
- The vulnerability in RAR unpacking code was fixed.
- Some bugs were fixed.
- New localization: Kabyle.
Homepage – https://www.7-zip.org
Size: 1.13 MB