7-Zip is an open source file archiver with the high compression ratio predominantly for the Microsoft Windows operating system.
It operates either as a command line program or with a graphical user interface. It also features integration with the Windows shell environment.
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And it compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.
7-Zip is free software, developed by Igor Pavlov and distributed under the GNU LGPL license. This file archiver works on all Windows operating systems, from Windows NT to 10 (32-bit and 64-bit).
The main features of 7-Zip:
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression and LZMA2 compression
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, the provided compression ratio is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 87 languages
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
Changes in 7-Zip 19.02 Alpha (2019-09-05):
- 7-Zip now can unpack files encoded with Base64 encoding (b64 filename extension).
- 7-Zip now can use new x86/x64 hardware instructions for SHA-1 and SHA-256, supported by AMD Ryzen and latest Intel CPUs: Ice Lake and Goldmont. It increases
- the speed of SHA-1/SHA-256 hash value calculation,
- the speed of encryption/decryption in zip AES,
- the speed of key derivation for encryption/decryption in 7z/zip/rar archives.
- The speed of zip AES encryption and 7z/zip/rar AES decryption was increased with the following improvements:
- 7-Zip now can use new x86/x64 VAES (AVX Vector AES) instructions, supported by Intel Ice Lake CPU.
- The existing code of x86/x64 AES-NI was improved also.
- There is 2% speed optimization in 7-Zip benchmark’s decompression.
- Some bugs were fixed.
Changes in 7-Zip 19.00 (2019-02-22):
- Encryption strength for 7z archives was increased: the size of random initialization vector was increased from 64-bit to 128-bit, and the pseudo-random number generator was improved.
- Some bugs were fixed.
Homepage – https://www.7-zip.org
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016.
Size: 1.13 MB