Cakewalk by BandLab is FREE award-winning Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) for the professional music recording, mixing, and mastering. From getting a great tone to releasing the final mix, today’s musicians must master every element of the music production process.
Easily compose complete songs and performances with creative songwriting tools and instruments. Capture inspired performances with pristine quality and unlimited audio and MIDI tracks.
Fix mistakes, arrange parts, and manipulate pitch, time, and any other aspect of your recordings. Achieve pristine pro-studio sounds and create big, clear, dynamic mixes with advanced mixing tools.
Polish your finished mixes to perfection with built-in mastering tools. Export and publish your songs directly to YouTube, SoundCloud, Facebook and more.
Dial up the perfect synth sound with Rapture or a searing guitar tone with TH2 Producer. Record it, tighten it, chop it, and drop it in the Matrix for realtime triggering. Shape it with the expandable ProChannel. Warm it with the Console Emulator. And do it all with a single Smart Tool.
Cakewalk by BandLab leaves other DAWs in the dust with industry leading features. Edit and correct vocals like a pro with Melodyne Essential. Create the most realistic and authentic drums sounds with the full version of XLN Audio Addictive Drums.
Get that epic, pro-sound that has defined the last 25 years of recording with the ProChannel. Now with the QuadCurve EQ Zoom and analyzer for the ultimate precision. Get that vintage analog sound with the new ProChannel Tape Emulator and the Console Emulator.
Cakewalk by BandLab Key features:
- Unlimited audio and MIDI tracks
- Mix with unlimited effects, sends and busses
- Move seamlessly across all your production tasks with Skylight Interface
- Record and mix with the end-to-end 64-bit double precision engine
- Gobbler cloud saving and sharing
- Program beats using the Step Sequencer
- Play loops in real-time with the Matrix View
- Customize searing guitar tones with Overloud TH2 Producer amp sim
- Create modern, electronic dance sounds with Z3TA+ Classic
- Play and record with 23 instruments including Rapture and Dimension Pro
- Edit audio and MIDI, hassle free, with Smart Tool and Smart Grid
- Get full control of the timing and feel of your tracks with AudioSnap
- Custom touch support on touch-enabled devices running Windows 10
- Get that epic, pro studio sound with the ergonomic ProChannel console strip
- ProChannel Console Emulator and new Tape Emulator for authentic vintage analog sound
- Add lush reverb with the versatile BREVERB SONAR VST and ProChannel module
- Includes 8 ProChannel modules – expandable with additional modules (sold separately)
- Finalize and master your songs with high-quality Linear Phase plugins
- Share your music on SoundCloud, Facebook, Twitter, and now YouTube
And it doesn’t stop there with a new mixing suite powered by the Nomad Factory Blue Tubes FX and BlueVerb, Tone2 BiFilter 2, AAS Lounge Lizard Session, AAS Strum Acoustic Session, Dimension Pro, Rapture, and much more.
Cakewalk by BandLab now boasts a powerful new line up designed to meet the needs of any musician, regardless of skill level or budget. You always get the latest and greatest version no matter when you make your purchase. In addition, enjoy 12 months of rolling updates and keep everything you received – forever.
Features & Enhancements
- Arranger section inclusion of outlying MIDI notes. When dragging sections or committing arrangements, Cakewalk has logic for dealing with leading/trailing MIDI notes that overlap section boundaries.
- Absolute time in Arranger tracks. The time base format for each Arranger track can be set to either Musical or Absolute. The time base format determines what happens to sections when you change the project tempo.
- Cakewalk supports SSO (Single Sign-On) for activation, which allows you to log in via any service supported by BandLab as your sign-in authority. Google, Facebook, Apple ID, mobile phone and BandLab user/password credentials are currently supported.
- Cancel VST scan. You can now cancel an in-progress VST scan with the new ‘Cancel Scan’ button in Edit > Preferences > File – VST Settings or via the Cancel option in the VST Scan toast notification.
- Auto termination of VST scan. Shutting down Cakewalk will now automatically terminate any scan in progress.
- The new ‘Zoom to Fit Project Horizontally’ shortcut (CTRL+ALT+F) zooms to fit the entire project in the Clips pane, without affecting the height of tracks.
- Improved selection with Arranger sections. If there are gaps between a range of selected sections, the unselected clips remain unselected. You can now also unselect fully selected clips from a selection and they will not be moved with the section.
- Cutting an Arranger section with Ripple Edit enabled now deletes the hole to make it consistent with the Delete command.
- Clicking on an articulation (without modifiers), or changing an articulation’s type or MIDI channel now sends any triggered MIDI events associated with the articulation.
- Four new buttons have been added to the Control Bar’s Select module in Large mode: ‘Select Track Envelopes with Clips’, ‘Select Track Articulations with Clips’, ‘Select Events with Sections’, and ‘Select Sections with Time Ruler’.
- Moving clips between Takes lanes on the same track now respects the Auto Crossfade setting.
- Insert Instrument track behavior. When selected from the track context menu, the Insert Instrument command now inserts the instrument before the current track rather than after the last track.
- Phase and Interleave buttons are now available in the Track view and Inspector for Instrument tracks.
- Option to only use external MIDI inputs. MIDI tracks now have a new ‘All External Inputs’ input option, which only appears when at least one soft synth with a MIDI output is present in the project. All External Inputs means any MIDI input that isn’t an output from a soft synth, such as hardware MIDI ports and virtual controllers.
- Export to Standard MIDI File now respects the selection. If there is no selection, the whole project is exported.
- The integrated LAME MP3 encoder has been updated to version 3.100. This includes bug fixes and stability improvements to MP3 encoding and also speeds up the encoding process. Additionally, Cakewalk has been updated to now handle discarding padding samples when importing MP3 files. i.e imported MP files will not contain extra data at the beginning of the file.
- The libsndfile library used for import and export of various audio formats has been updated to version 1.0.30. This fixes numerous issues with handling BWF, Wave64, AIFF, FLAC and Ogg files.
- Dynamic plug-in parameter optimizations and improvements in responsiveness and memory footprint when loading and editing projects with lots of tracks and high parameter count plug-ins.
- Improved handling of ProChannel automation. ProChannel bypass automation is now UI independent and also buffer accurate. ProChannel bypass will also properly enable/disable with automation during fast bounce and freeze operations.
- Crash when running onboarding more than once.
- Crash when attempting to load new sample in Drum Replacer.
- Hang on project load while VST scan is running.
- Redo of crop then move of Articulation crashes.
- Automation crash on project close.
- Rare crash after modifying event in Piano Roll then pressing play.
- Step Sequencer Clips intermittently fail to show notes.
- Step Sequencer Beat Counter fails to repeat on Groove clip repetitions.
- PRV does not display repetitions of Step Sequencer loops.
- Track names show incorrectly in plug-ins after 2020.11 update.
- Transport fails to roll with Realtime Bounce when freezing.
- Cursor moves unexpected after cancel of Kind in Event List.
- After deleting last event in Event List, selection should go to previous event.
- Assignable parameters not created for FX Chains on project load.
- Project Editing Time displays inconsistently in File Stats.
- Rename clip doesn’t work on MIDI clips if articulations exist on the track.
- Installer Text/Progress Bar for Silent Install is truncated.
- Bus pane not updating correctly after using track manager to hide/show buses.
- Clicking on a note within the Piano Roll view or swapping active tracks automatically opens the Articulation Map pane.
- Ripple Edit Cut not shifting Arranger sections as expected.
- Section/Arrangement titles missing in 2020.11.
- Allow drag move/copy of multiple articulations.
- Mouse cursor gets moved/stuck on articulation events in Event List.
- Scaling PitchWheel events gives incorrect results.
- Cannot bounce or freeze ProChannel Enable automation unless it is done in realtime.
- Selection becomes stuck unexpectedly when selecting envelopes.
- Bus envelopes from multiple buses not copied correctly in duplicate clips/arranger operations.
- Toggling track interleave causes plug-in automation to lose sync.
- ProChannel automation cannot be reassigned to plug-in automation in tracks.
- Automation read/write not being acknowledged for newly created FX parameters.
- Copying and pasting FX automation envelopes create orphaned envelopes until parameters pre-created.
- FX Chain Input/Output Gain envelopes controlling incorrect parameter in FX Chain UI.
- Synth Rack automation not shown when changing synth parameters.
- Allow adding of additional per-output instrument tracks via Synth Rack context menu.
- Add Track inconsistent Insert Track behavior.
- Projects with multiple instances of plug-ins with high parameter counts become very sluggish trying to close/remove instances.
- UseGlobalSnapForStaffView variable stops working after opening older project.
- Imported .wav file has clicks from time stretch.
- Drum Maps are saved unexpectedly with Track Templates.
- VST Scan does not close with the app.
- Control Surface Refresh value does not change as expected below 25ms.
- Custom bank selection does not take effect in Event List view.
- Insert/Append Instrument fails to place track in folder.
What’s New in latest Cakewalk 2020.09:
- Automatic Picture Cache management. On startup, Cakewalk now auto detects when the wave picture cache is full and will self delete the oldest files to make room for new files. The Max size of picture cache has been raised to 10000 MB.
- In-app updater. You can now download and install future updates directly from Cakewalk instead of using BandLab Assistant. This is done from the ‘Update Available’ toast notification, which has a new Download Now link. Updates are downloaded to a Cakewalk subfolder in your local Downloads folder.
- Control surface settings are not being saved when a surface is disabled or the surface UI dialog is closed.
- Save As dialog ignores custom typed paths for Project Path and Audio Path.
- Arranger-related menus may appear incorrectly with multi-monitor configurations.
- Changing Picture Cache to high values would cause waveforms to stop drawing. Picture cache sizes > 2GB now work properly. The max size for PicCacheMB in Aud.ini has been increased to 10000 MB.
- Picture cache is now automatically managed and will self delete the oldest files when the size limit is reached.
- Mojibake (garbage text) occurs when using Unicode multibyte characters (Japanese, Chinese, etc.) on OS that differs from the selected CbB language.
- Cakewalk now uses UTF-8 encoding by default for all text strings, including track name, clips names, Lane descriptions, Arranger sections, Notes Browser, Lyrics view, etc.
- Legacy projects not saved with UTF-8 will continue to open correctly in 2020.09 and higher.
- Projects saved with multibyte characters from 2020.09 and higher can now be opened on any OS, retaining the original Unicode characters.
- Crash starting playback in project when the picture cache is full.
- Crash when inserting multiple instrument tracks with no tracks enabled.
- Closing a 3rd party plug-in UI can crash the application by sending WM_QUIT message.
- Crash when deleting an Arranger section selection twice.
- Crash inserting Per-Output Instrument tracks when Auto Track Zoom & Show Synth Properties are enabled.
- Insert Soft Synth Options should disable Track Number options for First/All synth output options.
- Arranger Section Rename intermittently becomes stuck.
- Clip crops unexpectedly on Undo of Apply Region Tempo.
- The Synth Rack and plug-in views are not opened when inserting an instrument via the Add Track menu. It will now follow the default as specified in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.
- Record Arm/Virtual Controller toggle fail to enable when adding Instrument Track per Output from Add Track menu.
- Add Track menu does not activate ‘Enable MIDI Output for Synths’ by default. It will now follow the default as specified in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.
- Mouse Wheel not scrolling the Control Bar.
- Option to decouple global Snap to Grid from the Staff view with UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 Cakewalk.ini setting.
- Long patch names fail to display in Event List view. DATA1 and DATA3 column widths have increased, and text truncates to the column width.
- Correct Chinese translation for ‘Rename Clip’.
What’s New in latest Cakewalk 2020.05:
Features & Enhancements
- Dynamic waveform scaling. When ‘Display Clip Fade/Envelope Attenuation’ is enabled in Edit > Preferences > Customization – Display, Cakewalk dynamically updates the waveform amplitude when changing clip fades, clip gain automation and clip pan automation. The waveform display is pre clip FX Rack and only applies to clip automation, not track automation. Additionally, clip gain and pan envelopes are not applied to active Region FX clips. i.e. If you have a clip gain envelope on a Region FX clip, it will be ignored unless the effect is bypassed.
- The ‘Display Clip Fade/Envelope Attenuation’ option is now also available as a key binding in Edit > Preferences > Customization – Keyboard Shortcuts (under Area: Track View).
- Offline activation. Activation is the process by which Cakewalk validates that your software is genuine and being used in accordance with the license agreement. Cakewalk can be activated by an online or offline process. If Cakewalk is installed on a computer that is not connected to the internet, you can use offline activation (Help > Offline Activation > Export Activation Request and Help > Offline Activation > Import Activation Response) as long as you have access to another computer that is connected to the internet.
- Early Access toast notification. Early Access availability is checked whenever normal updates are checked, and a toast notification appears if an Early Access build is available. The Early Access Program provides pre-release versions of Cakewalk to the public for general testing and issue reporting. We provide Early Access builds to help us get better real world test coverage from users, which is useful to improve the reliability and quality of our releases. Participation is 100% voluntary.
- Increased contrast of ghosted envelopes. The color contrast of ghosted automation envelopes has been increased, making them easier to see against the dark Clips pane background when Automation Lanes are collapsed.
- Clicking on the Bus pane now automatically sets the bus focus strip. This facilitates copying and pasting bus envelopes by clicking and pasting.
- Scrollable Clip FX Rack in Inspector. FX Racks in Clip Properties Inspector now display up to 10 plug-ins and are scrollable using both mouse wheel and the scroll bar.
- Improved support for recording automation via numeric input. When recording automation, envelope nodes can now be recorded by typing a value in the pop-up edit controls in the Inspector, Console view, Track view, ProChannel EQ, and EQ fly-out module. The numeric input will be recorded as a Jump during automation recording. To show the numeric input pop-up, give focus to a control or its value display, then press F2 or double-click the value display.
- Improved recording automation of synth parameters. Multiple synth parameters can be recorded in a single record pass and all envelopes are now retained. While loop recording, in order to avoid clutter, the automation preview only shows the last loop record pass. All recording envelopes will be displayed when you stop playback.
- Improved support for copying and pasting automation envelopes. Automation envelopes can now be easily copied and pasted from tracks to buses and vice versa. To copy track automation to a bus, first select and copy the envelope from the track, then click on the target bus or lane and paste. You can also copy and paste bus automation to tracks the same way. Moving or copying arrangement sections now properly manages copying and pasting the associated bus and synth automation envelopes.
- Bus delete stability improvements. Bus deletion can now be performed while the transport is rolling without stopping the audio engine. Also an intermittent crash and app shutdown on undoing bus deletion has been fixed.
- Rename Clip key binding. The ‘Rename Clip’ command is now available as a key binding in Edit > Preferences > Customization – Keyboard Shortcuts (under Area: Track View).
- Allow .midi as a supported MIDI File extension for reading.
- The Track View’s View and Options menu items now persist globally instead of being stored within screensets.
- Automatic display of update toast notifications now only appears once daily.
Mono plug-in support changes
- This release greatly improves the FX Rack handling with respect to mixing and matching mono/stereo plug-ins. These improvements are across the board and work in track/bus/clip FX Racks, FX chains and the ProChannel.
- Bypassing or removing plug-ins in an FX Rack, Rack bypass or global FX bypass operations will now revert any mono/stereo interleave changes caused by the plug-in, and recalculate delay compensation properly.
- Changing the mono/stereo interleave from the track strip button now updates the FX Rack routing correctly (Note: this is dependent on whether the ProChannel bin is pre FX Rack and if it contains mono plug-ins).
- Pitch shifted audio and distortion were symptoms of issues that are fixed in this release. This could occur under multiple scenarios, such as moving plug-ins, bypassing, deleting or undoing.
Improved mouse wheel handling
- Console view vertical scrolling via mouse wheel is less prone to inadvertently adjusting parameter values if there is a brief pause during the scroll gesture (for example, while vertically scrolling with the mouse wheel, suddenly it starts scrolling the volume slider instead). The internal timer that waits for inactivity before treating the next mouse wheel movement as a new operation has been increased from 500ms to 1,000ms. This ensures that the current scroll operation doesn’t change mid-gesture.
- In the Console view, tooltips dynamically show values when changing parameters via mouse wheel.
- FX Racks for tracks, buses and clips can be scrolled via mouse wheel.
- Flicker free UI transitions when opening projects or switching between projects.
- When using workspaces, projects now open with the correct initial UI layout, rather than opening with the project layout and then visibly switching to the workspace layout. This is faster and prevents unwanted flicker.
- Many improvements and optimizations for editing mono effects in FX Racks.
- Improvements to drag and drop between clip and track FX racks.
- Solved multithreading race condition leading to latency when using Aggressive thread scheduling model.
- With console open in larger projects UI scrolling can be sluggish.
- Meters to have better general performance while scrolling.
- Crash on undo and redo of automation recording of synth parameters.
- Deleting or undoing bus delete operation can crash.
- User reported crash in 2020.04.
- Waves OVox plugin crashes on project load.
- Crash when using SmartSwipe gesture in Piano Roll view track list.
- Potential crash on startup unless specific Windows DPI settings are used.
- Null Pointer crash after reordering automation lanes.
- Memory leak when using the Aggressive Thread Scheduling model.
- Under high system load UI is unresponsive and playback cannot be stopped.
- Unexpected envelopes created when moving section in project.
- Bus automation copies to tracks unexpectedly with (Arranger) Section move.
- Assigning a bus envelope could cause a crash and display incorrectly in Lanes after reassigning.
- Duplicate automation lanes can be created for unedited automation.
- Draw Tool draws random points when drawing automation outside of lane.
- Draw Tool not working as expected on bus automation in user project.
- Stop at Project End not respected in projects with automation after deleting buses or replacing synths.
- Automation behaves incorrectly after manually typing in a value.
- Automation not fully removed when deleting bus.
- Pasting bus automation should not rely on Copy/Paste Special.
- Pasting bus automation doesn’t change the edit filter leading to hidden envelopes.
- Automation envelopes appear out of scale.
- Cannot copy synth automation to buses.
- Draw Tool does not update envelopes preview during playback.
- Adding nodes by typing values during write automation over existing envelope causes unexpected results.
- Synth automation gets discarded unexpectedly while write recording multiple parameters.
- Scale for Synth automation not displaying correctly.
- Using Clip Gain on some Groove Clips causes unexpected drawing when clipping.
- Synth and bus automation is not selected after duplicating clips.
- Clip FX in Inspector does not display more than 6 plug-ins.
- Hit zone for Draw Tool on buses does not match.
- Insert Soft Synth Options dialog should remember the checked/unchecked state of the Enable MIDI Output option.
- User reported issue with zoom fader control becoming stuck.
- [Chinese version] Overlapping text in Preferences > Customization – Display.
- Tooltips for controls in the Console view do not update when changing values by mouse wheel.
- Incorrect Track view tooltips when creating a new project with the Basic workspace.
- Console view control tooltips show incorrect value and obscure value label when adjusted via mouse wheel.
- Track view horizontal zoom slider window is shown in wrong position on secondary monitor.
- Now Time cursor draws incorrectly.
- Project load screen flickering.
- Truncated text in various localized dialog boxes.
- Arranger options in Keyboard Shortcuts should specify ‘Arranger Track’.
- Arranger Section time-format needs to be backwards compatible.
- Bus Edit Filter changes unexpectedly after moving Arranger section.
- Section operations do not always move/copy track/bus automation.
- Duplicating Section won’t duplicate MIDI envelopes for Instrument tracks.
- Double-click rename of Arrangement sections should not rewind to start of section during playback.
- Committing an arrangement containing clips set to absolute time moves data past the end of the original project.
More Bug Fixes
- Moving mono Waves plug-in forces track into mono unexpectedly.
- Eventide VST3 plug-ins hang when changing interleave.
- Dragging ARA clips out of the Clips pane can impact VocAlign clips to lose timing.
- Host reports incorrect path for VST2 plugins via audioMasterGetDirectory.
- Hitting Play fails to start Play List when no project is open.
- Make Instrument track not working with multiple split instrument tracks.
- MIDI Chase not working as expected with 2 tracks assigned to single synth.
- Delete Track can fail unexpectedly with MIDI tracks.
- Mackie C4 does not respond to modifier keys in plug-in mode.
- Markers/Meters do not ripple as expected when pasting special with meter/key changes.
- Duplicate does not Ripple Edit in the Piano Roll view.
- Duplicate Clips should respect Select Track Envelopes with Clips setting.
- Race condition when closing a project before a workspace has been loaded.
- Cancelling Bounce causes first play attempt to fail.
- Unexpected latency when using the new thread scheduling model.
- Select by Filter key binding not working as expected.
- Deleting ‘n’ folders only deletes one folder.
- Projects saved as MIDI file save unexpected extra tracks.
Homepage – https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows 7 or higher (64-bit only)
- Multi-core Intel or AMD CPU
- 4GB RAM
- 3GB free disk space
- 1280×800 screen resolution
- ASIO compatible hardware is recommended
64-bit Mix Engine
The first to offer this precision audio technology, SONAR’s advanced 64-bit mix engine delivers clean, dynamic, accurate mixes every time.
Never worry about signal degradation again. You can always be sure your plug-ins are outputting the highest quality audio possible.
SONAR supports the most stable, accurate, and efficient plug-in format for Windows machines so you can use more FX and synths in your project.
Another industry first, SONAR’s compatibility with touch devices adds analog feel and workflow-enhancing efficiency.
Compatibility comes standard. We’re always on top of our game, ensuring support on all the most current Windows platforms.
Harness the power of Audio Random Access for seamless integration of powerful and modern editing tools.
Size: 53.5 MB