Microsoft SQL Server 2014 is foundation of Microsoft’s comprehensive data platform delivering avant-garde performance for mission-critical applications. It uses in-memory technologies, faster insights from any data to any user in such familiar tools like Excel, and a resilient platform for building, deploying, and managing solutions that span on-premises and cloud.
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 enables customers to build mission-critical applications and Big Data solutions using high-performance, in-memory technology across OLTP, data warehousing, business intelligence and analytics workloads without having to buy expensive add-ons or high-end appliances.
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 uses a common set of tools to deploy and manage databases both on-premises and in the cloud, which makes it easier for customers to take advantage of the cloud with existing skills.
In addition, Microsoft SQL Server 2014 also provides new hybrid solutions for cloud backup and disaster recovery as well as takes advantage of new capabilities in Windows Server 2012 R2 to provide enterprise-class availability and scalability with predictable performance and reduced infrastructure costs.
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Key Features:
- In-Memory OLTP. Provides in-memory OLTP capabilities built into core SQL Server database to significantly improve the transactional speed and throughput of your database application. In-Memory OLTP is installed with the SQL Server 2014 Engine without requiring any additional actions and allows in-memory performance benefits without rewriting your database application or refreshing your hardware. In-Memory OLTP allows you to access the other rich features in SQL Server, while taking advantage of in-memory performance.
- In-Memory Updateable ColumnStore. Provides higher compression, richer query support and updateability of the existing ColumnStore for data warehousing workloads giving you even faster load speed, query performance, concurrency, and even lower price per terabyte.
- Extending Memory to SSDs. Seamlessly and transparently integrates solid-state storage into SQL Server by using SSDs as an extension to the database buffer pool, allowing more in-memory processing and reducing disk IO.
- Enhanced High Availability:
- New AlwaysOn features. Availability Groups now support up to 8 secondary replicas that remain available for reads at all times, even in the presence of network failures. Failover Cluster Instances now support Windows Cluster Shared Volumes, improving the utilization of shared storage and increasing failover resiliency.
- Improved Online Database Operations. Includes single partition online index rebuild and managing lock priority for table partition switch, reducing maintenance downtime impact.
- Encrypted Backup. Provides encryption support for backups, on-premise and in Microsoft Azure.
- IO Resource Governance. Resource pools now support configuration of minimum and maximum IOPS per volume, enabling more comprehensive resource isolation controls.
- Hybrid Scenarios:
- SQL Server Backup to Azure: Provides management and automation of SQL Server backups (from on-premise and Microsoft Azure) to Microsoft Azure storage.
- AlwaysOn with Azure Secondaries: Easily add replicas in Microsoft Azure to on-premise Availability Groups.
- SQL XI (XStore Integration): Supports SQL Server Database files (from on-premise and Microsoft Azure) on Microsoft Azure Storage blobs.
- Deployment Wizard: Easily deploy on-premise SQL Server databases to Microsoft Azure.
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express is a free, feature-rich edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs. The SQL Server 2014 Express release includes the full version of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio instead of SQL Server 2014 Management Studio Express.
Homepage – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/
Size: 413 MB