FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is optimized for highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces.
FreeFileSync enables you to synchronize files between two folders or drives. You can either mirror two folders to create an exact copy of the source folder. Or perform a two-way synchronization that will copy new or updated files in both directions.
FreeFileSync has Unicode support and Network support. Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection. Also supports the multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration.
Full support for Windows Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points also is available. Furthermore, the program supports an Update mode which will only copy files that are new or have been changed.
FreeFileSync Key Features:
- Detection of moved and renamed files
- Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
- Support for multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration
- Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
- Create Batch Jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
- Optimized performance, coded in C++ completely.
- Transactional file copy
- Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection
- Full support for Windows/Linux Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points.
- Full unicode support.
- Native 32 and 64 bit builds
- Full network support.
- Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
- Copy NTFS alternate data streams, compressed and encrypted file attributes
- Lean and easily accessible UI: only useful functionality, no feature bloat.
- Support for filesizes larger than 4 GB.
- Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting/overwriting them.
- Ignore directories “RECYCLER” and “System Volume Information” with default filter.
- Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync-jobs.
- Filter functionality to include/exclude files from synchronization.
- Automatically handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32 volumes.
- Portable version available (selectable via installer).
- Opt-in for automatic online update.
- Localized versions are available for many languages.
- Create recurring backups with macros %time%, %date% within directory names
- Copy file create/modification times when synchronizing.
- Advanced locking strategy to allow multiple synchronization processes (e.g. multiple writers, same network share).
- Case-sensitive synchronization of file, directory and symlink names
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.28 (2022-11-16):
- Recover from corrupted database file
- Save database files pair-wise as a transaction
- Fixed FTP access for Xiaomi “File Manager”
- Fixed filter full path detection for root directory (Linux/macOS)
- Fixed recycle bin double initialization bug (Windows)
- Fixed incorrect case-insensitive string comparison for i and ı
- Round progress percentage numbers down
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.27 (2022-10-17):
- Fixed a “Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple base folders” false-negative
- Fixed “Unexpected size of data stream” for Google Drive
- Fixed crash when downloading empty file from Google Drive
- RealTimeSync: fixed ffs_batch not accepted as valid configuration
- Fixed top buttons vertical GUI layout
- Fixed progress dialog font on Ubuntu MATE
- Support cut/copy/paste for filter settings
- Fixed free disk space calculation if target folder not yet created
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.26 (2022-10-07):
- Faster file copy for SSD-based hard drives (Linux, macOS)
- Don’t fill the OS file cache during file copy (macOS)
- Removed redundant memory buffering during file copy
- Fixed ERROR_FILE_EXISTS on Samba share when copying files with NTFS extended attributes
- Show warning when recycle bin is not available (macOS, Linux)
- Customize config item background colors
- Fixed macOS menu bar not showing after app start
- Fixed normalizing strings with broken UTF encoding
- Fixed sound playback not working (Linux)
- Don’t allow creating file names ending with dot character (Windows)
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.25 (2022-08-31):
- Fixed crash when normalizing Unicode non-characters
- Fixed crash when accesssing Google Drive
- Fixed regession for decomposed Unicode comparison
- Fixed “exit code 106: –sign is required” error on macOS
- Reset icon cache after each comparison
Homepage – https://www.freefilesync.org
Supported Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Windows: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- Apple macOS: macOS 12, macOS 11, macOS 10.15, macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.12, OS X 10.11, OS X 10.10
- Linux: Arch Linux, CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, Mint, openSUSE, Ubuntu
Size: 18.8 MB