FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is optimized for highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces.
FreeFileSync enables you to synchronize files between two folders or drives. You can either mirror two folders to create an exact copy of the source folder. Or perform a two-way synchronization that will copy new or updated files in both directions.
FreeFileSync has Unicode support and Network support. Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection. Also supports the multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration.
Full support for Windows Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points also is available. Furthermore, the program supports an Update mode which will only copy files that are new or have been changed.
FreeFileSync Key Features:
- Detection of moved and renamed files
- Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
- Support for multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration
- Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
- Create Batch Jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
- Optimized performance, coded in C++ completely.
- Transactional file copy
- Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection
- Full support for Windows/Linux Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points.
- Full unicode support.
- Native 32 and 64 bit builds
- Full network support.
- Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
- Copy NTFS alternate data streams, compressed and encrypted file attributes
- Lean and easily accessible UI: only useful functionality, no feature bloat.
- Support for filesizes larger than 4 GB.
- Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting/overwriting them.
- Ignore directories “RECYCLER” and “System Volume Information” with default filter.
- Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync-jobs.
- Filter functionality to include/exclude files from synchronization.
- Automatically handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32 volumes.
- Portable version available (selectable via installer).
- Opt-in for automatic online update.
- Localized versions are available for many languages.
- Create recurring backups with macros %time%, %date% within directory names
- Copy file create/modification times when synchronizing.
- Advanced locking strategy to allow multiple synchronization processes (e.g. multiple writers, same network share).
- Case-sensitive synchronization of file, directory and symlink names
Changes in FreeFileSync 12.1 (2023-02-20):
- First official build based on GTK3 (Linux)
- Allow cancel during folder path normalization (e.g. delay during HDD spin up)
- Fixed slow FTP comparison performance due to libcurl regression
- Open terminal with log messages on startup error (Linux)
- Preserve changed config during auto-update
- Save config during unexpected reboot (Linux)
- Preserve config upon SIGTERM (Linux, macOS)
- Fixed progress dialog z-order after switching windows (macOS)
- Removed packet size limit for SFTP directory reading
- Mouse hover effects for config and overview grid
- Always update existing shortcuts during installation (Windows, Linux)
- Fixed another “Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple base folders” false-negative
Changes in FreeFileSync 12.0 (2023-01-21):
- Don’t save password and show prompt instead for (S)FTP
- Fast path check failure on access errors
- Support PuTTY private key file version 3
- Respect timeout during SFTP connect
- Removed 20-sec timeout while checking directory existence
- Avoid hitting (S)FTP connection limit for non-uniform configs
- Fixed middle grid tooltip icon not always showing (Linux)
- Optimized file accesses when checking file path existence
- Fixed overview navigation marker not always showing on main grid
- Clear all grid selections after view filter toggle
- Fixed mouse selection starting on folder group
- Don’t require sudo during non-root installation (Linux)
- Stricter type checking when deleting file/folder/symlinks
- Succinct error messages when path component is not existing
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.29 (2022-12-16):
- Fixed crash after 1-byte file copy from MTP device
- Fixed incorrect installer z-order during auto-update (macOS)
- Compress copied file only if target folder is marked as NTFS-compressed (Windows)
- Show install errors without requiring access to “System Events” (macOS)
- Fall back to creation time if modification time is missing on MTP device
- Copy/paste filter config via operating system clipboard
- Show FreeFileSync startup error message when called from RealTimeSync
- Avoid server round trip when preparing summary email
- Show path conflict warning aggregated into groups
- Don’t assume path conflict if single write and multiple ignored items
- Fixed CTRL + Insert clipboard copy for some text controls (Windows, Linux)
Homepage – https://www.freefilesync.org
Supported Operating Systems:
- Microsoft Windows: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- Apple macOS: macOS 13, 12, 11, 10.15, 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, OS X 10.11, 10.10
- Linux: Arch Linux, CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, Mint, openSUSE, Ubuntu
Size: 19.0 MB