Microsof Windows Server 2016 is the cloud-ready operating system. It delivers new layers of security and Azure-inspired innovation for the applications and infrastructure that power your business.
Microsoft Windows Server is a part of the Windows NT family of operating systems, developed concurrently with Windows 10.
It is a proven, enterprise-class cloud and datacenter platform that can scale to run your largest workloads while enabling robust recovery options to protect against service outages.
Windows Server 2016 helps accelerate time to value by simplifying your underlying infrastructure. Moreover, it allows you to reduce cost by taking advantage of industry-standard hardware.
At the heart of the Microsoft Cloud Platform, Server brings Microsoft’s experience delivering global-scale cloud services into your infrastructure.
Windows Server 2016 provides a wide range of new and enhanced features and capabilities. They span server virtualization, storage, software-defined networking, server management and automation, web and application platform, access and information protection, virtual desktop infrastructure, and more.
Windows Server 2016 gives you the power to prevent attacks and detect suspicious activity with new features to control privileged access. Also it protects virtual machines and harden the platform against emerging threats.
Windows Server 2016 delivers a more flexible and cost-efficient operating system for your datacenter, using software-defined compute, storage and network virtualization features inspired by Azure.
Cloud-ready Application Platform
Windows Server 2016 delivers new ways to deploy and run both existing and cloud-native applications – whether on-premises or in Microsoft Azure – using new capabilities such as Windows containers and the lightweight Nano Server installation option.
Windows Server 2016 will help you build, deploy and scale applications and web sites quickly. Also it will give you the flexibility to move workloads between on-premises environments and the cloud. It enables you to provide flexible, remote access to corporate resources while managing identities across your datacenter and federated into the cloud, and it helps you protect critical business information.
Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Features:
- Active Directory Federation Services. Possible to configure AD FS to authenticate users stored in non-AD directories. Such as X.500 compliant Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) directories and SQL databases.
- Windows Defender. Windows Server Antimalware is installed and enabled by default without the GUI, which is an installable Windows feature.
- Remote Desktop Services: support for OpenGL 4.4 and OpenCL 1.1, performance and stability improvements; MultiPoint Services role (see Windows MultiPoint Server)
- Storage Services: central Storage QoS Policies. Storage Replicas (storage-agnostic, block-level, volume-based, synchronous and asynchronous replication using SMB3 between servers for disaster recovery).
- Failover Clustering. Cluster operating system rolling upgrade, Storage Replicas.
- Web Application Proxy. Preauthentication for HTTP Basic application publishing, wildcard domain publishing of applications, HTTP to HTTPS redirection, Propagation of client IP address to backend applications
- IIS 10: Support for HTTP/2
- Windows PowerShell 5.0
- Soft Restart, a Windows feature to speed up the booting process by skipping hardware initialization, and resetting software only.
- Telnet server is not included.
Windows Server 2016 is available in Standard, Datacenter, and Essentials editions:
Datacenter Edition includes unlimited virtualization rights plus new features to build a software-defined datacenter.
Standard Edition offers enterprise-class features with limited virtualization rights.
Essentials Edition is an ideal cloud-connected first server. It has its own extensive documentation - the content here focuses on Standard and Datacenter editions.
Size: 6.49 GB