FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is optimized for highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces.
FreeFileSync enables you to synchronize files between two folders or drives. You can either mirror two folders to create an exact copy of the source folder. Or perform a two-way synchronization that will copy new or updated files in both directions.
FreeFileSync has Unicode support and Network support. Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection. Also supports the multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration.
Full support for Windows Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points also is available. Furthermore, the program supports an Update mode which will only copy files that are new or have been changed.
FreeFileSync Key Features:
- Detection of moved and renamed files
- Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
- Support for multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration
- Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
- Create Batch Jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
- Optimized performance, coded in C++ completely.
- Transactional file copy
- Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection
- Full support for Windows/Linux Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points.
- Full unicode support.
- Native 32 and 64 bit builds
- Full network support.
- Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
- Copy NTFS alternate data streams, compressed and encrypted file attributes
- Lean and easily accessible UI: only useful functionality, no feature bloat.
- Support for filesizes larger than 4 GB.
- Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting/overwriting them.
- Ignore directories “RECYCLER” and “System Volume Information” with default filter.
- Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync-jobs.
- Filter functionality to include/exclude files from synchronization.
- Automatically handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32 volumes.
- Portable version available (selectable via installer).
- Opt-in for automatic online update.
- Localized versions are available for many languages.
- Create recurring backups with macros %time%, %date% within directory names
- Copy file create/modification times when synchronizing.
- Advanced locking strategy to allow multiple synchronization processes (e.g. multiple writers, same network share).
- Case-sensitive synchronization of file, directory and symlink names
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.14 (2021-09-20):
- Authenticate (S)FTP connections using OpenSSL 3.0
- Fixed E_NOINTERFACE error after synchronization
- Preempt crashes due to Nahimic Sonic Studio 3
- Hide main window when minimizing progress window (macOS)
- Avoid second dock icon when minimizing progress window (macOS)
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.13 (2021-08-17):
- Manage default filter settings via GUI
- Support arbitrary location for local app installation (macOS)
- Fixed ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND masking real file access error (Windows)
- Copy full file paths to clipboard (CTRL + C)
- Preserve clipboard contents until after program exit
- Always enable external command if independent of file items
- Support installation without Rosetta2 on ARM64 (macOS)
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.12 (2021-07-15):
- Native ARM64 build to support Apple silicon M1 (macOS)
- Non-intrusive mouse highlight on file grid
- Fixed /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_7.0.0′ not found
- Parse file times with no limits on time span (e.g. year 0, year 3000)
- Show folder icon during drag and drop (Windows)
- Show user name for (S)FTP display paths
- Fixed FTP connection lost error with TLS 1.3
- Present file sizes in powers of 1000 bytes (Linux, macOS)
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.11 (2021-06-11):
- Fixed Shared Drive synchronization with Google Drive
- Directly open exported file list (.CSV) as temporary file
- Avoid EIO error for F_PREALLOCATE (macOS)
- Watch socket using “poll” instead of “select” (Linux, macOS)
- Fixed user-specific time/date format (Windows)
- Fixed system_profiler not found error (macOS)
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.10 (2021-05-10):
- Fixed comparison results cleared after mouse-scrolling the first folder pair
- Stricter base folder existence checks before synchronization
- Disable all file pairs when base folder status cannot be determined
- Fixed sync statistics if base folder existence test failed
- Work around glitch in grid scrollbar size calculation
- Fixed folder drag and drop failing after locale conflict (macOS)
- Fixed incorrect mime permissions after installation (Linux)
- Stricter server response validation during update check
- Fixed incomplete item path in log if source item is missing
- Fixed installation error when running ConEmu
- Support starting FreeFileSync as root login user (Linux)
Changes in FreeFileSync 11.9 (2021-04-01):
- Save different layouts depending on screen resolution
- Fixed large file icon scaling quality (Windows)
- Fixed broken default filter excluding DocumentRevisions (macOS)
- Don’t immediately exit terminal when installer error is showing (Linux)
- Explicitly set file permissions when installing missing directories (Linux)
- Support installation using noexec temp directory (Linux)
- Don’t fail installation if root is the only user (Linux)
- Added automatic socket close on execv (Linux, macOS)
- Fixed Google Drive login hanging after authentication (Linux)
- Correctly generate and parse Windows epoch time (Windows, macOS)
Homepage – https://www.freefilesync.org
Size: 17.9 MB