Windows Firewall Control is a nifty little application which extends the functionality of the Windows Firewall. Also it provides quick access to the most frequent options of Windows Firewall.
It runs in the system tray and allows user to control the native firewall easily. Without having to waste time by navigating to the specific part of the firewall.
It is free to use. Registered users will get the advantage of learning mode which provides notifications for outgoing blocked connections.
Windows Firewall Control doesn’t filter any packets and does not block or allow any connection. It offers four filtering modes. You can switch them with just a mouse click:
Low Filtering. Outgoing connections that do not match a rule are allowed. You can block the programs you do not want to initiate outgoing connections.
Medium Filtering. Outgoing connections that do not match a rule are blocked. Only programs you allow can initiate outgoing connections.
High Filtering. All outgoing connections are blocked. This setting blocks all attempts to connect to and from your computer.
No Filtering. Windows Firewall is turned off. Avoid using this setting unless you have another firewall running on your computer.
Windows Firewall Control Features:
- Notifications of outbound blocked connections.
- Learning mode that automatically allows digitally signed programs.
- Intuitive user interface which is easy accessible through a system tray icon.
- Full support with standard user accounts. Elevated privileges required only at installation.
- Disable the ability of other programs to tamper Windows Firewall rules and state.
- Integrated support of creating, modifying and deleting Window Firewall rules.
- Multiple and easier ways of creating new rules in Windows Firewall.
- Lock feature which can disable the access to the settings of the program and Windows Firewall.
- Shell integration into the right click context menu of the executable files.
- Automatically display invalid rules for programs that do not exist any more.
- Possibility to find and display duplicate firewall rules.
- Merge multiple similar rules or duplicate existing ones.
- View recently allowed and blocked connections and create new rules from the Security log.
- Import and export of partial sets of rules.
- Protection to unauthorized uninstallation.
- Possibility to restore previous settings at uninstallation.
- Supports global hot keys and various shortcut keys.
- And many, many more.
Registered Users Features:
- Learning Mode which provides notifications for blocked outgoing connections.
- Search for executable files in a user defined folder and create new rules for the selected ones from the result list.
Changes in Windows Firewall Control 22.214.171.124 (2021-08-22):
- New: Global hotkey for toggling between Low and Medium Filtering profiles.
- Improved: Replaced some user actions confirmation dialogs with Windows notifications. In Windows 10 they will be displayed in the notifications area and on Windows 7 as tray icon balloon notifications.
- Fixed: The ULRs used for the services from Tools tab were updated to use https instead of http.
Changes in Windows Firewall Control 126.96.36.199 (2021-05-20):
- New: The notification dialog displays now the count of blocked attempts for each
- program that is notified.
- Improved: The keyboard shortcuts to switch between notifications were changed in
- notification dialog to Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right.
- Fixed: Privilege escalation vulnerability was fixed in WFC service.
- Fixed: Some group names are not displayed correctly in Rules Panel.
Changes in Windows Firewall Control 188.8.131.52 (2020-08-16):
- New: Added a new entry to Direction combo box in Connections Log. The user can see now both inbound and outbound entries in the same results list.
- Improved: Updated the Time generated column in Connection Log to display the time zone.
- Improved: Search in Connections Log and Rules Panel was extended to include the service column.
- Improved: The x button from text boxes that is clearing their content is back.
- Fixed: Learning Mode does not work anymore when language is not set to English.
- Fixed: When multiple network adapters are found the Location displayed in Dashboard panel is Public instead of Private.
- Fixed: When importing the user settings, restarting the application fails if it is
- Executed only with standard privileges.
Changes in Windows Firewall Control 184.108.40.206 (2020-06-27):
- Improved: Detecting invalid rules is now made at service level instead of UI level, meaning that the rules defined for files that are not accessible are not detected anymore as invalid.
- Fixed: Connections Log loading time increased after last update if Security log contains older entries for processes that are not running anymore.
Changes in Windows Firewall Control 220.127.116.11 (2020-06-24):
- Improved: Remote addresses content is now expanding to fill the available space in Properties dialog so that more content can be displayed.
- Fixed: Properties dialog is not displayed anymore if two or more Windows services have the same Display Name.
- Fixed: The service name for svchost.exe notifications is detected only for the Windows services that are already running when WFC service starts. If a Windows service is started after, the notification will not detect the Windows service that triggered the notification.
- Fixed: Unhandled exception is logged if certain files are missing from the installation folder.
- Fixed: When editing a rule details in the Notification dialog, the rule name can be set as one or several empty spaces.
- Fixed: Properties dialog can’t apply changes to a rule if the path of the rule is not accessible or not found. This limitation was removed. Also the tooltip was updated since a rule with red text does not always mean the file is not found, it can also mean the file is not accessible (file located in a folder of another user account, encrypted location, etc).
- Fixed: In Notification dialog the text (Yes, No, Not valid) under Signed property is not localized.
- Removed: The x button from text boxes that is clearing their content.
Changes in Windows Firewall Control 18.104.22.168 (2020-01-04):
- New: Added keyboard shortcuts for the Notification Dialog. For more information please refer to the ‘Keyboard shortcuts’ section from the user manual .
- New: Added ‘Select All’ context menu item for all text boxes.
- Fixed: Due to the latest SSL improvements on the hosting server, the check for a new version does not work anymore.
- Fixed: During install/update, after the UAC prompt, for 1-2 seconds is displayed the previous page instead of the progress page.
- Fixed: The uninstaller does not work if the WFC service can not be initialized.
- Fixed: In some rare cases, the uninstaller may hang during the uninstallation.
- Fixed: Sorting by Time Generated column in Connections Log does not work.
Homepage – https://www.binisoft.org
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5 or a newer version.
- Compatible with all x86 and x64 versions of Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Server 2016, Server 2012.
- Windows Firewall service is required to be enabled for Windows Firewall Control to run.
- DNS Client service is required to be enabled for the notifications to work properly.
Size: 2.68 MB