GIMP provides the tools needed for high quality image manipulation. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. From retouching to restoring to creative composites, the only limit is your imagination.
GIMP gives artists the power and flexibility to transform images into truly unique creations. It also is a high quality application for producing icons, graphical design elements, and art for user interface components and mockups.
GIMP provides top-notch color management features to ensure high-fidelity color reproduction across digital and printed media. It is best used in workflows involving other free software such as Scribus, Inkscape, and SwatchBooker.
GIMP is a high quality framework for scripted image manipulation. This application provides extensibility through integration with many programming languages including Scheme, Python, Perl, and more. The result is a high level of customization as demonstrated by the large number of scripts and plug-ins created by the community.
Each task requires a different environment and GIMP allows you to customize the view and behavior the way you like it. Start from the widget theme and change colors, widget spacings and icon sizes to custom tool sets in the toolbox. The interface is modulized into so called docks. That allows you to stack them into tabs or keep them open in their own window. Pressing the tab key will toggle them hidden. GIMP features a great fullscreen mode, which allows you to not only preview your artwork but also do editing work while using the most of your screen estate.
Numerous digital photo imperfections can be easily compensated for using GIMP. Fix perspective distortion caused by lens tilt simply choosing the corrective mode in the transform tools. Eliminate lens’ barrel distortion and vignetting with a powerful filter but a simple interface. The included channel mixer gives you the flexibility and power to get your B/W photography stand out the way you need.
GIMP is ideal for advanced photo retouching techniques. Get rid of unneeded details using the clone tool, or touch up minor details easily with the new healing tool. With the perspective clone tool, it’s not difficult to clone objects with perspective in mind just as easily as with the orthogonal clone.
GIMP includes a very unique support for various input devices out of the box. Pressure and tilt sensitive tablets, but also a wide range of USB or MIDI controllers. You can bind often-used actions to device events such as rotating a USB wheel or moving a MIDI controller’s slider. Change the size, angle or opacity of a brush while you paint, bind your favorite scripts to buttons. Hence, speed up your workflow!
Supported File Formats
The file format support ranges from the common likes of JPEG (JFIF), GIF, PNG, TIFF to special use formats such as the multi-resolution and multi-color-depth Windows icon files. Furthermore, the architecture allows to extend GIMP’s format capabilities with a plug-in. Also, you can find some rare format support in the GIMP plugin registry.
Thanks to the transparent virtual file system, it is possible to load and save files to from remote locations using protocols such as FTP, HTTP or even SMB (MS Windows shares) and SFTP/SSH. To save disk space, you can save any format with an archive extension. Such as ZIP, GZ or BZ2 and GIMP will transparently compress the file without you needing to do any extra steps.
GIMP 2.10.24 highlights include:
- Off-canvas point snapping
- GeoTIFF metadata support (georeferencing information embedded within a TIFF file used by map makers)
- Many improvements in the metadata viewer and editor
- Many file format supports improved: HEIF, PSP, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, DDS, BMP, PSD
- New “Negative Darkroom” operation to simulate enlargement prints from scans of photographic negatives.
- The RAW image import now handles darktable 3.6 and over
- New Kabyle translation
GIMP 2.10.22 highlights include:
- Improved HEIC and newly added AVIF support
- Numerous improvements in the PSP file format support
- Improved multi-layer TIFF exporting
- Better handling of the Exif “Orientation” metadata
- New “Sample merged” option in the GEGL operation tool
GIMP 2.10.20 highlights include:
- Tool-group menus can now expand on hover
- Non-destructive cropping now available by cropping the canvas rather than actual pixels
- Better PSD support: exporting of 16-bit files now available, reading/writing channels in the right order
- On-canvas controls for the Vignette filter
- New filters: Bloom, Focus Blur, Lens Blur, Variable Blur
- Blending options now built into filter dialogs
- Over 30 bugfixes
GIMP 2.10.18 highlights include:
- Tools are now grouped in the toolbox by default
- Sliders now use a compact style with improved user interaction
- Vastly improved user experience for the transformation preview
- Dockable areas now highlighted when a dockable dialog is being dragged
- New 3D Transform tool to rotate and pan items
- Much smoother brush outline preview motion on the canvas
- Symmetry painting enhancements
- Faster loading of ABR brushes
- PSD support improvements
- Consolidated user interface for merging down and anchoring layers
- Update check to notify users of new releases available
- 28 bug fixes, 15 translation updates
GIMP 2.10.14 highlights include:
- Basic out-of-canvas pixels viewing and editing
- Optional editing of layers with disabled visibility
- Foreground Select tool: new Grayscale Preview Mode
- Newly added Normal Map filter
- 27 old filters ported to use GEGL buffers
- HEIF, TIFF, and PDF support improvements
- Better loading of corrupted XCF files
- Grayscale workflows order of magnitude faster
- macOS Catalina compatibility
- 45 bugfixes, 22 translation updates
GIMP 2.10.12 highlights include:
- Improved Curves tool
- Layers support for TIFF exporting
- Support for user-installed fonts on Windows
- Faster painting
- Improved symmetry painting support
- Incremental mode in the Dodge/Burn tool
- Free Select tool now creates a preliminary selection
- New Offset tool
Homepage – https://gimp.org
GIMP is the Free and Open Source, cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more.
Size: 248 MB