It supports many file types, including AVI, MP4, Matroska, MPEG-2, H.264 and H.265. It does not yet, or only partially supports modern open formats, like Opus, WebM, VP8, VP9 and AV1. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
Avidemux enables you to edit most video files by your requirements to make them play on any selected device. Multi-threading is supported! The graphical user interface of Avidemux looks pretty similar to VirtualDub. The most features known from VirtualDub are available too and natively supports a great file types, such as AVI, MKV, MPEG, VOB, MP4, TS, ASF, OGM and FLV.
Avidemux cannot open raw MPEG streams. Instead, it can open indexed MPEG streams. The index is a text file containing navigation information. It is needed to allow frame accuracy.
As for MPEG streams, a NuppelVideo file has no internal index. Avidemux will rebuild it automatically upon loading (that could take some minutes).
Avidemux can also open a stream of uncompressed BMP files (RGB) or a set of JPEG files or a set of PNG files. The latest version of Avidemux can usually decode the WMV/ASF containers, there are occasionally some files that still have problems with opening or playing. If you have that problem, then you can try to place the WMV contents into an AVI container.
Multithreading has been implemented in the following areas of Avidemux (some partially through libavcodec):
- MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (using libavcodec)
- MPEG-4 Part 2 SP/ASP (using libavcodec or Xvid)
- Earlier versions of Xvid are not compatible with this feature.
- H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC (using x264)
- H.265/HEVC (using x265)
- MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (using libavcodec)
- MPEG-4 Part 2 SP/ASP (using libavcodec)
Changes in Avidemux 2.7.2:
- Win64 version are now compiled with Visual C++, it should help stability wise
- New Demuxer:Native AviSynth demuxer (MSVC++ 64 bits Windows builds only), 64bits avisynth only !
- New Demuxer:VapourSynth demuxer to directly load .vpy scripts (MSVC++, macOS with Homebrew, custom Linux builds), 64bits vapoursynth only on win64!
- New Installer:Replace NSIS installer with Qt Installer Framework for native MSVC++ 64 bits Windows builds
- New Encoder:Add FFmpeg-based VA-API HW accelerated H.264 encoder (Intel/Linux)
- New Encoder:Add FFmpeg-based VA-API HW accelerated HEVC encoder (Intel/Linux)
- FFmpeg:Migrate to the 4.x branch
- Decoder:As a result of the FFmpeg upgrade, HW accelerated HEVC decoding on macOS is now available when supported by the hardware
- Encoder:Fix issues with image quality and skipped frames in the MJPEG encoder
- Demuxer:Fix audio delay calculation in the Mp4 demuxer
- Demuxer:Fix crash loading large MP4 files with LPCM audio
- Demuxer:Fix multiple issues in the ASF demuxer, allow to cancel indexing
- Demuxer:Allow to cancel indexing of MKV files
- Demuxer:Re-enable multiloading for MPEG-TS streams cut in chunks of 256, 512 MiB, 1, 2 and 4 GiB in size only
- Demuxer:Fix MPEG-TS indexer to start a H.264 or HEVC frame with the Access Unit Delimiter
- Muxer:Add Annex B to Annex B video stream filter to deal with misplaced frame boundaries
- Muxer:Add support for setting rotation flag to the MP4 muxer
- Filter:Add rubber band selector to the “Blacken Borders” filter
- Filter:Add option to deal with anamorphic display to the subtitle filter, fix issues in SRT to SSA converter
- UI:Autosave session on video close, add session restore feature
- UI:Add file name extension when saving audio for some audio types
- Audio:Make maximum level in the “Normalize” filter customizable
- Audio:Improve AAC sampling frequency detection
- Audio:Add decoding support for multichannel Opus audio
- Miscellaneous: Fix regression playback stuck after going to the previous picture
- Miscellaneous: Fix regression “Fade to black” reset when starting filtered playback close to the end of video
- Miscellaneous: Fix regression stopping playback rewinds to the start of video if seek back to the last displayed picture fails
Homepage – http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
Avidemux can be used on almost all known operating systems and computer platforms. It is available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license.
Size: 21.9 MB