foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
foobar2000 isn’t just for early adopters or software jukebox fetishists. It doesn’t mess with fancy buttons or bright colors. Instead of to prefer a utilitarian, straightforward user interface it lets the music speak for itself.
foobar2000 uses tabs and panels to help the user navigate its plain, but functional, user interface. You can customize the interface using several layout options. Menu options and recognizable command buttons reside at the top of the window.
Two panels, each with tabbed menus, reside on the left side of the window. From there, you can view the album list and the properties of a selected artist or song.
In foobar2000 you’ll also find tabs for viewing a spectrogram, a spectrum, and VU meter of music currently being played, display album art. Furthermore, you can synchronize it with portable players including iPods.
foobar2000 Main features:
- Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND… and more with additional components.
- Gapless playback.
- Easily customizable user interface layout.
- Advanced tagging capabilities.
- Support for ripping Audio CDs
- Transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component.
- Full ReplayGain support.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
- HLS radio bug fixes.
- Double clicking album covers in Default User Interface shows full-size picture.
- Archive reader optimizations; much more efficient handling of uncompressed (store-mode) archives.
- Drag-and-drop or copy-to-clipboard of large number of tracks no longer copies their plaintext titles.
Changes in foobar2000 1.6.1:
- Added support for HLS: HTTP Live Streaming. To use, add internet M3U8 file through Add Location dialog.
- Enabled icy-metadata support for Ogg FLAC internet radio streams.
- Updated Properties / ReplayGain page layout if editing a single file.
- Improved Properties dialog performance, list of autocomplete entries is populated asynchronously.
- Enabled embedded album art loading from raw .AAC files with ID3 tags.
- Updated FFmpeg to 4.3.1.
- Added support for playing Matroska A_MS/ACM content.
- Fixes for rare AAC codec configurations that FFmpeg doesn’t fully support – an add-on decoder can override the built-in one for such special cases.
- Decoders are now made aware of output sample rate (from Windows Mixer settings) and can decode certain formats directly to the intended sample rate, skipping potential resampling steps.
- Fixed “fade on manual track change” setting not being used since version 1.6. (beta 6)
- Changing volume no longer affects Windows Mixer sliders; restarting foobar2000 no longer resets Windows Mixer slider to 100%. (beta 7)
- Mitigated crash when initiating drag&drop of a very large number of songs (such as Album List “all music”). (beta 8)
- Enabled support for 7-zip archives using PPMd compression. (beta 8)
Changes in foobar2000 1.6:
- Changed system requirements: Windows 7 and a processor with SSE2 instruction set. Windows XP is no longer supported.
- Default output mode is now WASAPI shared.
- New fading capability that works with alternate output modes.
- Default archive reader now supports 7-zip format.
- Added support for WebP album covers (Default UI, Properties dialog). Settings need to be changed to look for folder.webp instead of folder.jpg.
- Removed mixer volume sync feature due to bugs.
- Cleaned up foo_rgscan alter-file-content & alter-opus-header methods.
- Removed obsolete edit-replaygain-info menu command since Properties dialog does the same now.
- Added an option to disregard mouse back/forward buttons (by default mapped to previous/next track).
- Double clicking a line in Properties album art tab now opens a fullsize image viewer.
- Fileops & Converter: Added alternate handling of invalid filename characters, toggled in Advanced Preferences.
- Freedb component updated: now queries all configured servers and displays results grouped by server.
- Updated File Operations & Converter file name pattern picker dialog, now auto selects current pattern on open if possible.
- CDDA reading no longer requires admin privileges on Windows Server.
- Updated autoplaylist editing dialogs, made resizable.
- Standard DSP Array is no longer an optional component, as it’s required for new WASAPI output to work correctly.
- Converter: Added a toggle for encoding thru temp folder to custom command-line encoder setup, required for some encoders that don’t support Unicode.
- Added alternate menu commands for opening Properties dialog with specific tab open, for mapping keyboard shortcuts only.
- Improved recovery from unplugged audio output device.
- Additional editable Properties ReplayGain tab summary fields.
- Fixed crash when trying to alter gain on a Matroska file with no recognized audio track.
- Fixed incorrect handling of folder/file.ext relative paths in playlists served over HTTP/HTTPS/FTP.
- New portable install puts all configuration data in ‘profile’ subfolder of install folder instead of saving in the installation folder directly. Doesn’t affect upgraded installs or non-portable.
- Fixed ‘remove tags’ not correctly stripping tags from raw AAC files.
- Fixed ZIP reader memory leak.
- Improved handling of last modification times in ZIP and RAR archives.
- Fixed a bug causing high CPU usage with autoplaylists that are force-sorted but with no pattern specified.
- Fixed installer incorrectly labelling some components as incompatible, if they have been installed by copying DLLs manually.
- Fixed incorrect handling of ID3 itunescompilation=0.
- Fixed a bug causing files with very long names inside ZIP archives to be unplayable.
Changes in foobar2000 1.5.5:
- Component autoupdate dialog visual fixes.
- Fixed an obscure bug in FPL playlist loader.
- MP4 AAC/USAC compatibility fixes (additional component still required).
- Fixed incorrect behavior of shared printf() function on large hex values.
- Made creation time explicitly retained when a file needs to be rewritten during a tag update.
- Fixed lockup on dropped HTTPS internet radio connection.
- Equalizer settings are no longer forgotten after disabling equalizer via the checkbox.
- Fixed missing seekbar with remote MP3 files containing embedded cuesheets.
- Audio CD ripper: removed outdated AccurateRip support based on outdated specification.
- Proper AccurateRip support will be restored in a future update.
Changes in foobar2000 1.5.4:
Pointed freedb metadata lookup at freedb.dbpoweramp.com, since original freedb is being shut down.
Beta 2: more graceful import of custom server lists when upgrading from older version.
Corrected a 1.5.3 regression causing certain very short MP4/M4A files to decode incorrectly.
Internal changes to allow add-on components to correctly decode xHE-AAC format.
Allowed multi-value ID3v2 tags: TPUB (Publisher) and TLAN (Language).
Changes in foobar2000 1.5.3:
Crash bug fixes.
Made component autoupdate show change logs before updating.
Made possible for components to provide alternate decoders for AAC format versions not supported by the internal decoder.
Made Default UI volume sliders alter volume in 0.5dB steps (beta 3).
Improved responses to Windows Defender blocking tag update operations (beta 4-6).
Fixed resampler crashing on exotic sample rates (final).
Changes in foobar2000 1.5.2:
- Fixed a bug in IMA ADPCM WAV decoder.
- Improved handling of truncated Matroska/WebM files.
- Fixed incorrect handling of MP4/M4A files with QuickTime chapters.
- Rare shutdown crash fixed.
- Updated Apple SoundCheck info handling.
Changes in foobar2000 1.5.1:
- Reworked integration with Windows 10 Universal Volume Control. Enabled by default once again.
- Fixed a bug in upmix DSPs causing incorrect behavior when working with a mono source.
- Improved reading of certain malformed ID3 tags written by other software.
- Generic progress dialog now shows yellow pause status when paused.
- Generic progress dialog no longer remembers its last position.
- File Operations: improved removal of empty folders; should no longer leave empty folders behind when cancelled in mid-operation.
- Installed component DLLs should now retain original file modification time, rather than time at which they were installed.
- Addressed some of known incompatibilities between foobar2000 v1.5 and third party components.
- Made Converter not write MP3 files with embedded cuesheets. This was an unintended effect of a v1.5 change. A proper setting for this will be added at a later time.
- Improved Converter feedback when trying to convert a multichannel track to MP3 or MPC, which accept no more than two channels.
- Fixed a bug causing wrong playback position to be shown after listening to an internet radio.
Changes in foobar2000 1.5:
New and improved Properties dialog, with the ability to manipulate attached pictures as well as scan and modify ReplayGain values.
Greatly improved Selection Properties performance for large track lists.
Various prompts (such as delete/recycle) now come with a “do not show this again” checkbox.
Restored pre-1.4 behavior of main-window-hidden/notification-icon-only status being remembered after foobar2000 restart.
Added logging of Media Library scanning errors – “show errors” button in Media Library Preferences.
Added Advanced Preferences option for flushing playback queue on manual track change (default: on).
Made “Open containing folder” command work with tracks in archives – opens folder containing the archive.
Added an option to preserve last-modified timestamps of tracks when updating tags.
Additional safeguards against corrupted configuration in case of a system crash while saving (FlushFileBuffers).
File Operations: delete/recycle prompt always says “Delete” rather than “Recycle”, since not every volume supports recycle action.
FFmpeg 3.4.6, now compiled with MS compiler, binary size reduced due to DLL runtime.
Implemented reading of cue+bin audio CD images.
Implemented asynchronous drag&drop, for less stalls when dragging tracks from foobar2000 to another program.
Removed transacted filesystem support. There are no known benefits to it and even Microsoft documentation says not to use it.
Improved programming interfaces for External Tags and Skip Track components.
Made album art loading/resizing operations in Default User Interface asynchronous. Large pictures no longer make the app momentarily unresponsive.
Converter: Added Opus encoder selection for –music / –speech modes.
Converter: New list control in various dialogs. Column sizes are remembered.
Improved playback position reporting with Skip Silence and similar DSP effects.
Made possible to check for updates of components listed but not hosted on foobar2000.org.
Enabled embedded cuesheet support for MP3 files.
Made WavPack/DSD MD5 visible – using another field so Verifier doesn’t try to verify it.
Changes in foobar2000 1.4.8:
- Corrected a 1.4.7 regression causing certain old components to stop working correctly.
Changes in foobar2000 1.4.7:
File Operations: Fixed window order bugs with Windows 10 1809 and newer
Fixed creation of crash reports from stack overflow crashes.
Fixed some Ogg files being unplayable since version 1.4.
Changed order of written FLAC metadata blocks to work around bugs in Windows Explorer.
Misc bug fixes.
Homepage – http://www.foobar2000.org
Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016 (32-bit, 64-bit).
Size: 4.46 MB