VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform media player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as Blu-Ray, DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
VLC media player is Simple, Powerful and Fast. Plays everything, Files, Discs, Devices, WebCams and Streams. It also is Media Converter and Streamer, plays most codecs with no codec packs needed.
VLC is a highly portable multi-platform multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3, WMA…).
VLC media player has hardware decoding on most platforms. It supports 0-copy on the GPU and can fallback on software when required.
VLC media player project targets multimedia streaming of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and DivX files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and live videos on a high-bandwidth IPv4 or IPv6 network in unicast or multicast under many OSes.
VLC also features a cross-platform player, which can be used to read the stream from the network or display video read locally on the computer under all GNU/Linux flavours, all BSD flavours, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Solaris, QNX, Familiar Linux…
VLC media player Features:
- Rewrite of the playlist (tree structure, input preparsing …)
- Preferences improvements
- XML parsers
- Client-side SSL/TLS support
- Massive Matroska improvements
- Support for SOCKS proxy
- Support for Shoutcast Meta-data
- Support for (HE-) AAC raw-audio streams
- TiVo demuxer
- Samba (Windows shares) access module
- Dirac decoder and encoder
- PNG decoder/encoder
- Support for Apple Lossless Audio Codec
- Services discovery modules (SAP module, HAL discovery, DAAP (iTunes shares), shoutcast)
- Support for 20/24 bits LPCM
- Video snapshot support (png or jpg)
- Image file video output (png)
- Mosaic (picture-in-picture system)
- Pocket PC port
- Brand new Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin
Plays Video Formats:
MPEG-1/2, DivX (1/2/3/4/5/6), MPEG-4 ASP, XviD, 3ivX D4, H.261, H.263 / H.263i, H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC, Cinepak, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), WMV 1/2, WMV 3 / WMV-9 / VC-1, Sorenson 1/3, DV, On2 VP3/VP5/VP6, Indeo Video v3 (IV32), Real Video (1/2/3/4).
Plays Audio Formats:
MPEG Layer 1/2, MP3 – MPEG Layer 3, AAC – MPEG-4 part3, Vorbis, AC3 – A/52, E-AC-3, MLP / TrueHD>3, DTS, WMA 1/2, WMA 3, FLAC, ALAC, Speex, Musepack / MPC, ATRAC 3, Wavpack, Mod, TrueAudio, APE, Real Audio, Alaw/µlaw, AMR (3GPP), MIDI, LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, DV Audio, QDM2/QDMC, MACE.
DVD, Text files (MicroDVD, SubRIP, SubViewer, SSA1-5, SAMI, VPlayer), Closed captions, Vobsub, Universal Subtitle Format (USF), SVCD / CVD, DVB, OGM, CMML, Kate. ID3 tags, APEv2, Vorbis comment.
- Demux: Fix a regression causing a lack of audio in adaptive streaming
Changes in VLC media player 188.8.131.52:
- Interface: Qt: Fix right click support on video
- Misc: Update YouTube script
Changes in VLC media player 3.0.17:
- Fix a regression in parsing secondary source MRLs
- Allow brackets in path part of URLs
- Fix support for screen capture on macOS with avcapture
- Fix closing of HTTP 1.x connections
- Improve HTTP2 memory usage
- Improve AVCapture module
- Improve AudioCD support (audio/data mixed mode, musicbrainz)
- Improve SMB compatibility by changing the read size
- Several improvements on the SRT modules (including streamID)
- Add support for DTS LBR
- Fix some HEVC hardware decoding on Windows and crashes when aspect ratio changes
- Fix hardware decoding for some AMD GPU drivers
- Add support for new Fourcc for E-AC3, AV1, GeoVision
- Fix crashes with VP9 streams
- Fix styling issues with subs tx3g (mp4) tracks
- Fix playback of live AV1 streams
- iOS/tvOS: add support for spatial audio
- macOS: fix some channels ordering for > 5.1 channels
- Android: rework audio volume management
- Fix a D3D11 crash when the stream changes aspect ratio
- Major overhaul of the adaptive streaming stack
- Support for DAV video files
- Add WebP image mapping
- Fix missing audio start of Opus audio in MKV/WebM
- Fix an infinite loop in MP4
- Fix attachments extractions in ogg files
- Support Uncompressed audio in mp4 (ISO/IEC 23003-5)
- Fix some lip sync issue in rare MPEG-TS streams
- Qt/macOS: Fixup user provided URLs
- Add safe area handling on macOS
- Qt: improve preferences search
- Qt: fix –no-mouse-events option
- Update YouTube script
- Fix Icecast directory parsing which could lead to missing entries
- Improve UPnP compatibility with some servers
3rd party libraries (contrib):
- Update FFmpeg to 4.4
- Update libflac to 1.3.4 to fix CVE-2020-0499 and CVE-2021-0561
- Update libsmb2 to fix invalid UTF-8 encoding of some filenames
- Update taglib to fix corruptions when editing some OGG metadata
- Update dav1d to 0.9.2
- Update fribidi to 1.0.11
- Update freetype to 2.11.1
- Update libass to 0.15.2
- Drop pthreadGC2 in favor of winpthreads
- Enable Java support for blurays on Apple M1
- Update libsrt to 1.4.4
- Update twolame to 0.4.0
- Update mpg123 to 1.29.3
- Update libnfs to 5.0.1
- Update libarchive to 3.6.0
- Update AOM encoder to 3.1.1
Homepage – https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Supported Operating Systems:
- From Windows XP SP3 to the last version of Windows 11.
- Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later
- Android 2.2 (platform-8) or later.
- iOS 9.0 or later
UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP / FTP, MMS, TCP/RTP Unicast, DCCP/RTP Unicast, File, DVD Video, Video CD / VCD, SVCD, Audio CD (no DTS-CD), DVB (Satellite, Digital TV, Cable TV), MPEG encoder, Video acquisition.
MPEG (ES,PS,TS,PVA,MP3), AVI, ASF / WMV / WMA, MP4 / MOV / 3GP, OGG / OGM / Annodex, Matroska (MKV), Real, WAV (including DTS), Raw Audio: DTS, AAC, AC3/A52, Raw DV, FLAC, FLV (Flash), MXF, Nut, Standard MIDI / SMF, Creative™ Voice.
SAP/SDP announces, Bonjour protocol, Mozilla/Firefox plugin, ActiveX plugin, SVCD Menus, Localization, CD-Text, CDDB CD info, IGMPv3, IPv6, MLDv2, CPU acceleration.
Size: 40.1 MB