Tribler is an open source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features.
This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content.
Tribler was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The application enhances BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Anonymity. Anonymous downloads with strong encryption, onion routing and hidden seeding. Uses a custom Tor-like network.
- User interface. Check out our general user interface and other screenshots. We try to make sharing easy and accessible.
- No websites. The application ncludes search. You can find a lot of videos without any web site. We try to make Tribler impossible to censor and hard to kill.
- Open Source. Tribler is Open Source and non-profit.
- Streaming. This app can play your videos. You can watch even before the download is finished.
The main features include: video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer which is a Python based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live streaming media.
Tribler adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol. That is somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005.
After a dozen downloads this software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com.
Another feature is a limited form of social networking and donation of upload capacity. Tribler includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends allows to increase the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features this software differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 7.12.1:
- This release should greatly improve the speed and stability of startup:
- Now, if a user has a large number of downloads, the app windows should open much faster.
- All different errors of type “Tribler GUI cannot connect to Core” should go away.
- Tribler should not crash anymore while copying files from the previous directory.
- The copying of the state directory is now atomic, and files should not be corrupted if the copying is interrupted in the middle.
- No more orphan Core processes if the GUI process was suddenly terminated.
- The token balance is now hidden until the algorithm for calculating the balance is updated.
- Some bugs that caused app crashes were fixed.
- Load download checkpoints in the background
- Provide atomicity of state dir copying
- Handle exceptions in UpgradeManager
- EventManager’s timeout should ignore the upgrade duration
- Fix reconnection logic in EventRequestManager
- Fix CoreConnectTimeoutError by calculating the correct timeout for the request
- Fix QNetworkReply.UnknownNetworkError (99) when connecting to Core
- Unconditionally include RESTComponent when starting Tribler Core
- Fix initialization of Ipv8Endpoint in RESTComponent
- ProcessChecker refactoring
- Shut down the Core process if the GUI process crashes
- Stop Core on components startup exception
- Show the last error code and error name on timeout in EventRequestManager
- Hide token balance value
- Fix failing GUI test on Linux Github action
- Handle TypeError on tdef to metadata conversion
- Add Null check for
- Add format_error_message function to CoreManager
cache_exitnodes_to_diskfrom raising OSErrors
Homepage – https://www.tribler.org
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11.
- macOS Yosemite or newer.
- Linux Ubuntu.
Size: 64.9 MB