Visual Studio 2012 is an integrated development environment that seamlessly spans the entire life cycle of software creation, including architecture, user interface design, code creation, code insight and analysis, code deployment, testing and validation.
This release adds support for the most advanced Microsoft platforms, including the next version of Windows (code-named “Windows 8”) and Windows Azure, and enables you to target platforms across devices, services and the cloud.
Integration with Team Foundation Server allows the entire team, from the customer to the developer. They can build scalable and high-quality applications to exacting standards and requirements.
Visual Studio 2012 provides access to a number of resource editing, visual design, and visual debugging tools for writing 2D / 3D games and Metro style applications.
The added Visual Studio Graphics tools will help game developers become more productive, making it easier to build innovative games.
Visual Studio 2012 is a comprehensive family of products for every organization, team and individual developer that wants to modernize or create exciting apps. It also simplifies the product family by integrating capabilities that were previously available in separate products. That bring exciting new capabilities to every edition. Delight your customers with high-quality applications built using the next generation of development, team collaboration, and application lifecycle management tools.
Specifically, Visual Studio Graphics includes tools for:
- Viewing and basic editing of 3D models in Visual Studio 2012.
- Viewing and editing of images and textures with support for alpha channels and transparency.
- Visually designing shader programs and effect files.
- Debugging and diagnostics of DirectX based output.
ALM solutions that integrate software value chains
Visual Studio 2012’s Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) capabilities enable this diverse value chain to integrate and operate as a unit. Teams are provided with best-in-class tools to maximize productivity by eliminating waste through reduced cycle times supported by comprehensive reporting and analytics capabilities.
Take advantage of recently lowered pricing for Visual Studio 2010 Professional and expanded access to Team Foundation Server. In addition, preview pricing is now available for Visual Studio 2012.
Visual Studio 2012 provides cutting-edge tools and technologies to create apps that are optimized for the latest platforms. It will also target earlier platforms so you can create new apps or modernize existing apps that execute on earlier versions of Windows.
The .NET Framework 4.5 is also installed as part of Visual Studio 2012. .It has focused on top developer requests across all key technologies. Includes new features for Asynchronous programming in C# and Visual Basic and support for state machines in Windows Workflow. Increased investments in HTML5 and CSS3 in ASP.NET.
Changes in Visual Studio 2012 Update 5:
- Team Project Rename support for Local Workspaces: Team Project Rename is a new feature added in Team Foundation Server 2015. For Visual Studio 2012.5, we’ve included the ability to update local workspaces after a team project is renamed. Performing a get or check-in automatically corrects the workspace mapping so that it uses the new team project name.
- In Source Control Explorer, a branch operation causes an error and is not completed.
- Consider the following scenario in Visual Studio 2012 before Update 5:
- You create a new branch from an existing branch.
- You switch Team Projects or servers without closing Visual Studio.
- You perform a new branch operation on another existing branch.
- In this scenario before Update 5, the branch operation generated an error and was not completed. Visual Studio incorrectly treated the new folder as a regular folder instead of a branch until Visual Studio was restarted.
Note: This issue applies only to a Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) instance that is hosted on either Team Foundation Server (TFS) or Visual Studio Online. Git version control is unaffected by this issue.
Homepage – https://www.visualstudio.com
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
Size: 1521 MB