Advanced Installer is a powerful and easy to use Windows Installer authoring tool, enabling developers to create reliable MSI packages That meet the latest Microsoft Windows logo certification guidelines. Extremely easy to use, powerful, fast and lightweight.
Advanced Installer simplifies the process of building Windows Installer packages by providing a very easy to use, high level interface to the underlying technology. The program implements all Windows Installer rules and follows all the advised best practices.
With this simple, intuitive interface, building a Windows Installer package will take just a few minutes. Start the program, add a few files, change the name, hit the Build button and you are done. No scripts to learn, no seminars to attend.
Advanced Installer project files are stored in XML format. This way, they can be easily checked into a version control system. The software installer also operates at command line, so you can build your release packages in a completely automated script, like Make, Ant or NAnt. Furthermore, the most common operations are also implemented as command line actions, so you can modify your project in an automated fashion.
Advanced Installer will organize your application in Features and Components as per Windows Installer guidelines. This way you can take advantage of advanced software installer features like partial install and repair without having to do anything. Further customizing the organization is easy and intuitive.
Packed as native EXEs, DLLs or script files and written in C, C++, VBS or JS, Custom Actions give you the full power to add anything you want, anywhere you want to your software installer.
Advanced Installer Top Freeware Features:
- MSI. Create valid MSI setups for your applications respecting all written and unwritten Windows Installer rules.
- UAC. Build installers that run flawlessly on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista supporting their security model.
- Side-by-Side. Create packages for different versions of your application.
- Imports. Import from Visual Studio, InstallShield LE, WiX, Eclipse, Inno Setup, NSIS and regular MSI/MSM packages.
- Fonts. Register fonts in the Windows OS. Specify registration names for non-TrueType fonts.
- Environment Variables. Create, append or prepend user or system environment variables.
- Autoregister. Auto registration for files that support it. You can schedule at install time.
- Files and Folders. Install and uninstall files and folders. Set attributes, create shortcuts.
- Registry. Install and uninstall registry keys and entries.
- Template projects. Create templates based on your current project and ready-to-use for your future projects.
- Add/Remove. Customize your application’s listing in the “Add/Remove Programs” page of Control Panel.
- XML projects. Easy to check into version control systems and share between multiple developers.
- Command Line. Build your release packages in completely automated scripts, like Make, Ant, NAnt, TeamCity, Jenkins or MSBuild.
- Run and Log. Launch your MSI package while pretty printing the full Windows Installer log.
- Launch Conditions. Visually specify conditions necessary (applications, frameworks, etc.) for your package to run.
- Smart Formatted Editing. Editing (MSI)Formatted fields offers reference auto-completion, syntax and error highlights and resolved value hints.
- Per-User/Per-machine. Create installers that can be install as required: per-user or per-machine if the user is Administrator.
- Include Merge Modules. Include frameworks, libraries, and other prepackaged dependencies into your installers with just a few mouse clicks.
- Import and Edit support for MSIX bundle
- Driver Dependencies support for MSIX
- Add wizard for the “Modification Package” project
- Predefined launch conditions for “Windows 10 version 2004”
- Over 37 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 17.1.2 (June 17, 2020):
- Installation failed when passing a null property to a deferred inline PowerShell custom action
- The “Platform” option for an Inline PowerShell custom action was not correctly saved
- “Import Repackaging Results” wizard failed for certain projects
- Visiting the Visual Assets or Package Information views incorrectly marked the project as modified
Changes in Advanced Installer 17.1.1 (May 28, 2020):
- Bug Fix: Advanced Installer Professional crashed when trying to display Themes view
Changes in Advanced Installer 17.1 (May 27, 2020):
- Digital Signature support for PowerShell scripts
- GitHub integration for the Updater
- Over 39 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 17.0 (April 27, 2020):
- MSIX Package Manifest Editor
- Powershell automation support for Custom Actions
- Support deploying an MSIX package with MSIX Core on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1
- Predefined prerequisites for “ASP.NET Core Runtime 3.1.3”
- Over 26 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.9 (March 17, 2020 ):
- Windows Services support for MSIX
- Add FileSystemWrite Virtualization, RegistryWrite Virtualization, PackageIntegrity, SupportedUsers and AllowExecution flags for MSIX packages
- New view for MSIX comparison
- Update “StartUp Task” synchronization for MSIX packages
- Update “Configuration File” to display a custom message through the Updater
- Improve start page filter not to be persona contextual
- Update executables paths when the applications are moved
- Automatically generate all visual assets in certain conditions
- Move AppInstaller to a new tab
- The “Arm64 package” option does not appear in the “Package Type” field, in the “Project Summary” page
- The source path is not updated in the “Project Summary” page when the file has a different source path per build
- Updater does not display correctly update size greater than or equal to 2048 MB
- View group is sometimes empty for Windows Store App
- Advanced Installer crashes when importing an invalid InstallShield (ISL) project
- Messages are marked as read if the user is logged in when opening a project
- The “SelfReg” table cannot be added when editing an MSI
- “Trace App” does not respect the default application from the project
- Main class are not correctly detected for the customer-specific jar
- Preserve registry value does not work for “REG_MULTI_SZ” registry type and multiple values
- AppInstaller options are not copied by Copy/Paste
- “DeleteFromListbox” custom action does not work when there are more than 10 items in a ListBox
- The extended search result does not appear in the “Project Summary”, under the “Searches” group
- The external user interface makes the Text controls from a Group Box disappear when the TAB button is pressed
- “Log in with your account” right text alignment issue on the Start page
- Crash when selecting a certificate from the store on the MSIX/APPX Project Wizard
- Fixed overlapping controls on dialogs in the new versions
- The “Registry” group does not appear in the “Project Summary” tree after executing certain steps
- Validation fails for images that have an uppercase extension
- “AI_PackageChainer” fails to detect a post-install prerequisite failure
- The translated string is not fully displayed
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.8 (February 18, 2020):
- PowerShell automation to create MSTs
- Synchronize fonts files in MSIX builds
- Early digital certificate validation for MSIX
- Show files skipped for signing at build when they are already digitally signed
- Improved network connectivity for remote repackaging
- Import custom versions from target platforms when import/edit an MSIX
- Extend MSIX Advanced Installer stub support for elevated and non-elevated executables at the same time
- Update to Modification Package to support editable Min/Max version
- Modification Package UX improvements
- Update “Apache Tomcat 7” prerequisite to latest version 7.0.99
- Update “Apache Tomcat 8.5” prerequisite to latest version 8.5.51
- Update “Apache Tomcat 9” prerequisite to latest version 9.0.31
- “Test Script” functionality fails for any script if the installation type is set to “Per-User only”
- Project is not marked as modified when using the setters in PowerShell
- “Failed to save project changes” error when opening .AIP file in Visual Studio
- Advanced Installer crashes when navigating in COM view after MSIX import/edit
- “Install MSIX/Appx Package” predefined custom action does not log any failure
- “filename.VisualElemetsManifest.xml” can be deleted and will generate an error on build
- Register edit field from Express edition start page is not working
- Fix crash when updating from Simple project
- The assemblies installation fails when the rpk file is imported
- Visual Studio Extension does not import the dependency of an application reference file
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.7 (January 15, 2020):
- Predefined launch condition and prerequisite for “.NET Core Runtime 3.1”
- Predefined prerequisites for “.NET Core Desktop Runtime 3.1” and “.NET Core IIS Hosting 3.1”
- New registry entries for latest install path and version of “Advanced Installer”
- Over 15 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.6.1 (December 17, 2019):
- Build failed for projects that had prerequisites with “Windows XP/Server 2003” on unsupported Windows list
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.6 (December 12, 2019):
- Create an MSIX/APPX package for the Microsoft Store
- PowerShell automation to manage properties
- Destination, ReadOnly and Exclusion support for File Redirection (Package Support Framework)
- Predefined launch conditions for “Windows 10 version 1909 (November 2019 Update)”
- Over 20 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.5 (November 13, 2019):
- MSIX Package Editor
- Running PowerShell scripts in MSIX
- Preserve IIS client customizations on upgrades
- Predefined prerequisite for Java SE 13
- New launch condition for “SQL Server 2019 Express”
- Predefined prerequisites for “SQL Server 2019 Express”
- Predefined launch condition for “Java 13”
- Over 23 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.4.1 (October 10, 2019):
- Bug fix: Installation failing on Windows 7 and 8 for packages with Enhanced UI and feature-based or post-install prerequisites
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.4 (October 8, 2019):
- PowerShell automation to manage Digital Signature
- Predefined launch condition for “Windows Azure VM”
- Predefined launch condition to check if an AntiVirus is running
- Predefined launch condition and prerequisites for “.NET Core Runtime 3.0”
- Predefined prerequisites for “Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server 18”
- Over 20 enhancements and bug fixes
Changes in Advanced Installer 16.3 (September 4, 2019):
- Compare XML files
- Filter new project in Start Page
- Java 12 support
- Over 35 enhancements and bug fixes
Homepage – https://www.advancedinstaller.com
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
Size: 140 MB
This is a unified package containing the complete Advanced Installer application, which includes Freeware, Professional, For Java, Enterprise and Architect features. Freeware features can be accessed at any time by creating a project of type “Simple”.
Creating any other type of projects requires non-freeware features. These are fully enabled during the trial period, after which you must purchase a license to continue using them.