MKVToolNix is the one of the best collection of tools (mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract, mkvpropedit and mmg) for modifying MKV files.
With these tools one can get information about (via mkvinfo) Matroska files, extract tracks/data from (via mkvextract) Matroska files and create (via mkvmerge) Matroska files from other media files. Matroska is a new multimedia file format aiming to become THE new container format for the future. You can find more information about it and its underlying technology, the Extensible Binary Meta Language (EBML), at http://www.matroska.org
The graphical user interface (GUI) allows you to manipulate Matroska (MKV) files in several ways. You can use those tools to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract or inspect Matroska files.
MKVToolnix will also work with other video formats. Such as AVI, MPEG, MP4, MPEG, Ogg/OGM, RealVideo, MPEG1/2, H264/AVC, Dirac, VC1.
And more as well as some video codecs such as VP9 video codec support – reading from IVF, Matroska, WebM files, extract to IVF files.
Moreover the program can work with audio files such as AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, AC3, DTS/DTS-HD, Vorbis, RealAudio. And also work with most subtitle formats including SRT, PGS/ SUP, VobSub, ASS, and SSA.
It is a cross-platform application that will work on Microsoft Windows (both 32 and 64-bit versions), Apple macOS and Linux operating systems.
Here is also the portable version which does not require installation. You just need to start the function. It can also be stored on external devices and run on any computer you have access to.
Changes in MKVToolnix 68.0.0 “The Curtain” (2022-05-22):
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: HDMV PGS subtitles: mkvmerge now tries to detect bogus timestamps (where the current timestamp is two hours or more after the previous timestamp) & correct them to something more sensible (1s after the previous timestamp). That way one bogus timestamp cannot cause the rest of the frames to not be interleaved properly with the other audio & video packets.
- mkvmerge: added colour information, colour mastering meta information & video projection information properties to the JSON identification format. The properties are reported for container types for which mkvmerge supports reading them (Matroska & MP4). The JSON identification format version number has been bumped to v15.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added controls for all the video colour information & the video projection information.
- mkvmerge: SRT reader: entries with a duration of 0 or less will now be skipped.
- mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI’s chapter & header editors: fixed an invalid memory access when trying to update existing Matroska files whose EBML Head element had a “size” field length of eight bytes, and where rewriting said element would shrink the element by one byte. Files created by gstreamer fit the first part whereas the second depends on the changes requested by the user.
- mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI’s chapter & header editors: fixed the programs not handling having to remove EBML void elements at the end of the file correctly and consequently aborting.
- MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI now uses almost all SVG icons, allowing proper scaling even for scaling factors such as 125%.
- MKVToolNix GUI: when compiled with Qt 5 the character set of INI files is forced to UTF-8 in order to fix reading INI files written by a version compiled with Qt 6.
Build system changes
- Qt’s SVG library is now required.
Changes in MKVToolnix 66.0.0 “Josie” (2022-03-13):
New features and enhancements
- mkvpropedit: added a new option `–chapter-charset` allowing the user to specify the character set to use when reading the following chapter file.
- MKVToolNix GUI: each language shortcut can now be associated with an optional track name that is set along with the language when the shortcut is used.
- mkvmerge: Ogg/OGM reader: mkvmerge will no longer abort with an exception when it encounters Vorbis comments that contain data that isn’t valid UTF-8.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: fixed several issues with the tab order of elements in the “properties” pane and the “output” tab. Also fixed the language display widgets (e.g. “track language” in the “properties” pane) never receiving tab focus.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the chapter name template will now be passed to`mkvmerge` if a chapter file is selected on the “output” tab.
Changes in MKVToolnix 65.0.0 “Too Much” (2022-02-06):
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: the options `–default-track` and `–forced-track` have been renamed to `–default-track-flag` and `–forced-display-flag` respectively for improved consistency with other option names & the wording used in the GUI. However, the old names will be supported and recognized indefinitely. What will remain unchanged is the property names for those flags in mkvmerge’s identification output. Existing third-party programs will continue working as they are.
- mkvmerge: added a new option `–track-enabled-flag` to set or unset the “track enabled” track header flag.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: `mkvmerge` will now evaluate the `flags` field of the track header atom (`tkhd`) and set the track’s “enabled” flag accordingly.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added support for the “track enabled” track header flag.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer, header editor: added several menu entries & keyboard shortcuts for toggling various track flags of the currently selected tracks, e.g. `Ctrl+Alt+F, D` (that’s `Ctrl` and `Alt` with `F` simultaneously followed by `D` without any other key pressed) for toggling the “default track” flag.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer, header editor: added menu entries & keyboard shortcuts for setting the language of the currently selected tracks to one from a configurable list of languages. The shortcuts used are `Ctrl+Alt+A, 1` through `Ctrl+Alt+A, 0` for the first ten entries of that list (that’s `Ctrl` and `Alt` with `A` simultaneously followed by a digit without any other key pressed).
- MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: if the user enters commas in start or end timestamps they will automatically be changed to points as the decimal separator, allowing for easier copy & paste from other programs/sources.
- MKVToolNix: header editor: the selected track or attached file can now be moved up & down with the keyboard shortcuts `Ctrl+Up` & `Ctrl+Down` respectively.
- mkvmerge: Matroska reader: DVB subtitle tracks with a codec private data size of more than five bytes are accepted now, too.
Homepage – https://mkvtoolnix.download/
Works on Microsoft Windows (both 32 and 64-bit versions), Apple macOS and Linux operating systems.
Size: 24.5 MB