Brave Browser is a free, fast, secure and open source web browsing application based on the Chromium and available for your all devices. Complete with a built-in ad blocker that prevents tracking and provides security protection with optimized data and battery performance.
The Brave is much more than a web browser, it is a new way of thinking about how the web works. Brave is on a mission to fix the web by giving users a safer, faster and better browsing experience while growing support for content creators through a new attention-based ecosystem of rewards.
Browse Faster – Load pages 3x to 6x faster
Watch Brave in action, head-to-head-to-head against Chrome and Firefox. Brave loads pages three times as fast out of the box with nothing to install, learn or manage.
Switching is easy – Import and continue where you left off
It’s easy to import your settings from your old browser. You can do it during the welcome tour or later through the menus. All of your old browser profiles will appear in a list. You can import other browser data through the main menu item called “Import Bookmarks and Settings.”
Support your favorite sites with Brave Rewards
Turn on Brave Rewards and give a little back to the sites you frequent most. Earn frequent flyer-like tokens (BAT) for viewing privacy-respecting ads through Brave and help fund the content you love.
Browsing the web with Brave is free: with Brave Rewards activated, you can support the content creators you love at the amount that works for you.
The browser can automatically distribute your contributions based on how much time you spend on sites. Or, you can choose to tip sites directly, and even offer a fixed monthly tip amount.
All of this works while keeping your browsing history private. Your funds are made available to site owners through an anonymous ledger system, so you can’t be identified based on the sites you visit and support. Over 10,000 publishers and content creators have registered to receive Brave Rewards.
Remember: these contributions are optional – browsing the web with Brave Browser is free.
Brave Browser Feature List:
- Ad blocking
- Fingerprinting prevention
- Cookie control
- HTTPS upgrading
- Block scripts
- Per-site shield settings
- Configurable global shield defaults
- Earn by viewing private ads
- Tip your favorite creators
- Contribute monthly to sites
- Auto-contribute to sites
- Verify with Uphold and move funds in and out of your wallet
- Become a verified creator and start earning BAT from tips, contributions and referrals
Tabs and Windows
- Private Windows
- Pinned Tabs
- Drag and drop
- Close Options
- Find on page
- Print page
- Clear browsing data
- Built-in password manager
- Form autofill
- Control content access to full-screen presentation
- Control site access to autoplay media
- Send “Do not track” with browsing requests
- Choose default search engine
- Use keyboard shortcuts for alternate search engines
- Option to use DuckDuckGo for private window search
- Add Bookmark
- Autosuggest URLs
- Search from address bar
- Autosuggest search terms
- Show/hide bookmarks toolbar
- Show secure or insecure site
Extensions and Plugins
- Brave Desktop now supports most of the Chrome extensions in the chrome web store
Changes in Brave Browser 1.12.112:
- Added Sync v2.
- Added support for state level ads delivery.
- Added the ability to reset Brave Rewards.
- Added 25 BAT threshold before being able to verify Uphold two-way user wallet.
- Added the ability for users to disconnect a pending Uphold user wallet from Brave Rewards.
- Added the ability to import payment methods from Chrome.
- Added farbling for WebGL API when “Fingerprinting blocking” is set to “strict”.
- Added support for “$generichide” adblock rules under brave://adblock
- Added the date of installation to the stats ping.
- Added “x-brave-api-key” to the stats ping.
- Enabled the “prefetch-privacy-changes” flag by default under brave://flags.
- Improved web compatibility by changing behavior of local and session storage in third-party frames to not throw an exception when storage is blocked.
- Updated pre-populated search engine list.
- Updated referrer policy to improve privacy and prevent web compatibility issues.
- Updated canvas maximum farbling to match balanced farbling.
- Updated token options for purchase on Binance widget when “.us” is selected.
- Updated the “Look & Feel” section under brave://settings/shields.
- Updated the labels on the “Learn more” view of shields.
- Updated the bookmarks bar on the New Tab Page to show even if there are no bookmarks when the “Always show bookmarks on New Tab page” setting is enabled under brave://settings/appearance.
- Updated the backup and restore modal text for Brave Rewards.
- Updated the close icon on the Brave Rewards notification which indicates that your wallet is unreachable.
- Reduced size and improved performance of the publisher list for Brave Rewards.
- Reduced the frequency at which promotions are fetched for rewards.
- Removed the “Remote Debugging” setting under brave://settings/privacy.
- Fixed crash with Canvas API in certain cases.
- Fixed crash with BraveSessionCache in certain cases.
- Fixed crash with Brave Ads when opening a new tab in certain cases.
- Fixed issue where “Bat Ledger Service” was running when Brave Rewards was not enabled.
- Fixed issue where “Bat Ads Service” was running when Brave Ads were not enabled.
- Fixed issue where auto-contribute wouldn’t process if contributions were to be made to more than four verified creators.
- Fixed state level ads being shown on versions without support for state level ads delivery.
- Fixed wallet summary display on brave://rewards to better accommodate three decimal places.
- Fixed ads state being removed when Brave Ads are disabled.
- Fixed “Estimated pending rewards” not being refreshed after claiming an ad grant.
- Fixed web compatibility issue with https://crio.do/ on Windows.
- Fixed Firebase authentication not working with default shield settings.
- Fixed issue where Gmail image signatures were not loading.
- Fixed display issue where URL bar background color did not change in private mode when dark theme was enabled.
- Upgraded Chromium to 84.0.4147.125.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.11.104:
- Upgraded Chromium to 84.0.4147.105.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.11.101:
- [Security] Filtered sensitive information from brave://rewards-internals logs.
- [Security] Added disclaimer to brave://rewards-internals page.
- Fixed issue where browser would freeze on launch in certain cases.
- Fixed crash with Wayback Machine info bar in certain cases.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.11.97:
- Added an infobar to indicate that sync v2 is coming if sync v1 is currently enabled.
- Added “aggressive” setting for “Trackers & ads blocked” which applies cosmetic filters to first-party ads.
- Added ability to import history from Safari on macOS.
- Added country code to ad confirmation calls for certain countries.
- Added priority support for Brave Ads.
- Added ability to view and download server error logs for Brave Rewards under brave://rewards-internals to improve rewards debugging.
- Added date of contributions under brave://rewards-internals to assist with rewards support.
- Added contribution history under brave://rewards-internals to assist with rewards support.
- Added support for fingerprint WebAuthn on macOS.
- Added keyboard accessibility to the Binance widget on the New Tab Page.
- [Security] Fixed issue where WebTorrent URL was rewritten when redirect URL was not http:// or https:// as reported on HackerOne by xhzeem.
- [Security] Fixed issue where private window autocomplete data could leak to normal window.
- Updated design for “Customize Dashboard” modal on the New Tab Page to support more options.
- Updated Brave Rewards to display BAT values to three decimal places.
- Updated user model for page classifications for Brave Ads.
- Updated Brave Rewards to only use first name for Uphold user wallets.
- Updated favicons for certain brave:// internal pages.
- Updated favicon on brave://bookmarks tab.
- Updated labels and drop down values on brave://settings/shields for consistency.
- Updated fingerprinting blocking levels to be “strict”, “standard”, or “disabled”.
- Implemented additional Canvas API fingerprint farbling protections.
- Implemented Web Audio API fingerprint farbling protections.
- Implemented additional WebGL API fingerprint protections.
- Migrated Brave Rewards settings from JSON to preferences.
- Migrated data from ledger_state to preferences for Brave Rewards.
- Removed Brave autoplay exceptions.
- Removed unnecessary balance API calls from Brave Rewards.
- Removed retry logic for auto-contribute if auto-contribute or Brave Rewards is disabled.
- Removed known user tracking parameters from Doubleclick query strings.
- Removed known email tracking parameters from HubSpot URLs.
- Removed GUID and ENV fields from crash reports.
- Removed Sync from brave://settings in Guest windows.
- Fixed crash with brave://settings/content in certain cases.
- Fixed immediate crash after upgrading in certain cases.
- Fixed issue where ads were not shown in certain cases due to confirmations not being initialized when joining rewards.
- Fixed issue where ad confirmations were initialized on clean profile prior to joining rewards.
- Fixed rewards balance appearing as “0.0 BAT” in certain cases.
- Fixed issue where ad conversions would fail after a creative had expired.
- Fixed “Ads notifications received this month” incrementing for confirmation types other than view.
- Fixed saved passwords not being listed under brave://settings/passwords in certain cases.
- Fixed non-critical memory issue related to farbling and fingerprint randomization.
- Fixed issue where brave://components updates required a browser restart.
- Fixed DuckDuckGo toggle change not being reflected in a Guest window.
- Upgraded Chromium to 84.0.4147.89.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.10.97:
- Upgraded Chromium to 83.0.4103.116.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.10.95:
- Fixed cosmetic scriptlets not being injected in iframes
Changes in Brave Browser 1.10.93:
- Removed proxy for download of Widevine component.
- Fixed issue where auto-contribute could be re-enabled in certain cases.
- Upgraded Chromium to 83.0.4103.106.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.10.90:
- Added the ability to view promotions information on brave://rewards-internals page.
- Added balance information on brave://rewards-internals to improve rewards debugging.
- Added ability to import from Chrome while Chrome is still running.
- Added a new proxy endpoint for remote debugging and enabled by default under brave://settings/privacy.
- Improved general performance by lazy loading Brave Crypto Wallets.
- Improved privacy by extending farbling protection for several other API surfaces.
- Replaced “HTTPS Upgrades” with “Bandwidth saved” under the New Tab Page.
- Disabled Wayback Machine for “.onion” URLs.
- Disabled tab hover cards for Windows and Linux by default.
- Removed the Binance widget toggle for Japan and OFAC countries from customize dashboard under the New Tab Page.
- Fixed to only send tokens that have not been redeemed during the claim process.
- Fixed low resolution favicons on rewards panel and contribution table.
- Fixed to only add jitter for Brave Ads token redemption when creating the timestamp.
- Fixed themes from Chrome Web Store not working when switching between light and dark themes.
- Fixed incorrect changelog URL on macOS.
- Fixed software update dialog on macOS displaying raw HTML in the release notes box.
- Fixed display issue where Brave Rewards and Binance widget menus go off screen on certain window widths.
- Fixed assets in the Binance widget summary under the New Tab Page appearing as clickable.
- Fixed content under the Crypto Wallets welcome screen not fully visible on smaller window sizes.
- Fixed skip button missing on YouTube ads when shields are disabled.
- Fixed display issue where clock widget menu goes off the screen on certain window widths.
- Upgraded Chromium to 83.0.4103.97.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.9.80:
- Fixed default setting for “Show Brave suggested sites in autocomplete suggestions” to be off under brave://settings/appearance.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.9.76:
- Removed bookmark icon from top site tiles on the New Tab Page.
- Fixed notifications not working on WordPress sites.
- Fixed to allow cookies in first-party iframes nested inside third-party iframes when third-party cookie blocking is enabled.
- Fixed to allow storage in first-party iframes regardless of the relative parents of that first-party iframe.
- Fixed stats ping not being sent for users who updated to 1.9.72.
- Fixed unsuccessful login to the Binance widget after creating a new account.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.9.72:
- Added the ability to opt-in to user private Brave ads for over 150 new regions.
- Added platform and build channel to ad confirmation calls.
- Added settings to disable top sites and Brave suggested sites in address bar autocomplete under brave://settings/appearance
- Added ability to modify New Tab Page settings under brave://settings/newTab.
- Added support for web compatibility scriptlet injections that can modify window attributes.
- Added retry logic for referral program promotion code.
- Added P3A metric for search volume.
- Updated P3A metric responses for window count.
- Updated P3A metric responses for bookmark count.
- Removed content-level tip button on GitHub org pages.
- Fixed Brave not using OS locale and language settings as the default on Windows.
- Fixed incorrect or no publisher data being displayed on the rewards panel in certain cases when using Twitter.
- Fixed intermittent crash in confirmations.
- Fixed inability to enable Brave ads if regional format is set to “English (Europe)” on Windows.
- Fixed converted ads still being displayed in certain cases
- Fixed ad notification timeout timers not being cancelled in certain cases.
- Fixed Brave ad campaign startAt and endAt times using local time instead of UTC.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.8.96:
- Fixed users not receiving ad promotion due to empty public key in certain cases.
- Implemented pagination for publisher list.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.8.95:
- Fixed Memo ID and wallet address not being displayed for applicable assets in the Binance widget.
- Fixed stablecoins not being included in the wallet balance total for the Binance widget.
- Upgraded Chromium to 81.0.4044.138.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.8.90:
- Added Memo ID for applicable assets in the Binance widget.
- [Security] Fixed an out-of-bound read crash in the renderer process.
- Fixed incorrect Safe Browsing label in brave://settings/privacy.
- Fixed deposit addresses and QR codes not being displayed for all assets in the Binance widget.
- Fixed inability to toggle off referral background images on brave://settings/themes.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.8.86:
- Added Binance widget to the New Tab Page. (#9118)
- Added support for referral background images and top sites on the New Tab Page. (#8218)
- Added the ability to import extensions from Chrome. (#7974)
- Added “Customize” text to the New Tab Page dashboard settings icon. (#4930)
- Enhanced privacy by farbling convertToBlob. (#8682)
- Updated text for “Device recognition” to “Fingerprinting” on Brave Shields panel and brave://settings/shields. (#7949)
- Updated category text on ads history panel from “untargeted” to “general”. (#6553)
- Improved publisher list load time. (#9376)
- Improved top site tiles on the New Tab Page. (#2971)
- Switched from “Prebake Cookie” to “Easylist Cookie” list. (#5318)
- Removed ability to import data from legacy Brave (muon). (#7403)
- Removed autoplay allow list to match Chromium behavior. (#8408)
- Disabled ScrollToTextFragment. (#8342)
- Fixed Brave ads server retry logic running into an infinite loop in certain cases causing performance issues. (#7226)
- Fixed issue where attention percentage would display as zero on rewards panel. (#8463)
- Fixed inability to import passwords from Chrome on Windows. (#3674)
- Fixed crash when enabling IPFS on Linux. (#7325)
- Fixed multiple web compatibility issues related to fingerprinting protection. (#8858,#8855)
- Fixed inability to use Twitter in certain cases when “Cross-site cookies blocked” is selected from Brave Shields. (#9337)
- Fixed missing translation on the New Tab Page title. (#9169)
- Upgraded Chromium to 81.0.4044.129. (#9493)
Changes in Brave Browser 1.7.98:
- Removed monthly statements for Brave Rewards prior to February 2020.
- Fixed certain websites not being classified correctly for Brave ads.
- Fixed retry logic for bad or duplicate Brave ad confirmations.
- Upgraded Chromium to 81.0.4044.113.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.7.92:
- Added monthly statements for Brave Rewards.
- Added purchase intent classifier for Brave ads.
- Added P3A metric for default search engine.
- Added a new proxy endpoint for location service.
- Added the ability to hide Brave Shields activity count.
- Added new wallpaper images for New Tab Page.
- Added ability to access extension keyboard shortcuts from brave://settings/extensions.
- [Security] Added auto-upgrade of mixed content connections where available.
- Enhanced privacy by randomizing HTML canvas fingerprints by first-party domain.
- Changed rewards publisher list fetch interval from 1 day to every 3 days.
- Reduced the frequency of showing the same ad notification to users opted into Brave Ads.
- Removed the ability for an Uphold connected, non-KYC’d user wallet to tip and perform auto-contribute within Brave Rewards.
- Removed broken translate button once the Google Translate extension has been installed.
- Enabled DNS-over-HTTPS upgrades when possible.
- Enabled cosmetic filtering by default.
- Re-enabled WebXR by default.
- Re-enabled Other Bookmarks.
- Disabled Reporting API.
- Disabled Wayback Machine on localhost.
- Renamed “Site Settings” to “Site and Shields Settings” under brave://settings/privacy.
- Fixed copying brave:// results in pasting chrome://.
- Fixed ad notifications not being displayed under Windows due to Brave not being added into Windows “Notifications & actions” settings.
- Fixed ESC key not closing the tip banner after tipping.
- Fixed rewards panel not resizing properly in certain cases.
- Fixed CAPTCHA targets not being fully shown on rewards panel in certain cases.
- Fixed favicon display issue on brave://rewards page.
- Fixed monthly contributions not being reflected on Brave Rewards widget.
- Fixed notification icon incorrectly displaying on rewards icon in URL bar after claiming grants from rewards panel.
- Fixed incorrect message being displayed on panel and tip banner in certain cases.
- Fixed persistent Brave ads service errors on startup.
- Fixed embedded maps not loading on certain websites by adding fingerprinting exception for both https://public.tableau.com and https://www.arcgis.com.
- Fixed sync crash when multiple bookmarks have the same object id.
- Fixed several cases where sync would hang the browser.
- Fixed ad service crash when migrating to new database.
- Fixed extra whitespace on https://www.dia.net.au.
- Fixed widget remove option on New Tab Page using light theme when dark theme was selected.
- Fixed “Show Sponsored Images” toggle being reset from off to on when re-enabling “Show Background Image”.
- Fixed shields defaulting to advanced view by default for new profiles.
- Fixed shields settings not being cleared via brave://settings/clearBrowserData dialog when selecting time range other than “All time”.
- Fixed custom adblock rules not allowing cosmetic filters.
- Fixed Widevine not working without a page refresh in certain cases.
- Fixed brave://wallet alias not being displayed in URL when looking up ENS or suspicious websites in certain cases.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.5.123:
- Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.163
Changes in Brave Browser 1.5.122:
- Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.162
Changes in Brave Browser 1.5.115:
- Fixed CPU/performance issues in certain cases.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.5.113:
- Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.149.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.5.112:
- Added ad conversion attribution for Brave ads.
- Added ability for websites to determine if browser is Brave.
- Improved compatibility with MetaMask and allow web3 provider selection.
- Improved fingerprinting privacy by removing “navigator.deviceMemory”.
- Removed reference to star icon used to bookmark pages under the bookmark manager.
- Updated top sites background from translucent to opaque under New Tab Page.
- Updated text in the “Ads” panel under brave://rewards.
- Fixed favorites and bookmarks not importing from Safari.
- Fixed intermittent crash if ad confirmations library is called before being instantiated.
- Fixed 5% fee for Brave Rewards not always being sent when multiple tips are sent in quick succession.
- Fixed all confirmation types such as viewed, clicked and dismissed being counted towards the ads per hour limit.
- Fixed incorrect message being displayed on panel and tip banner in certain cases.
- Fixed duplicate ads entries not being added into “7-day Ads History” in brave://rewards.
- Fixed incorrect color being used for the “thumbs up” icon in “7-day Ads History” under brave://rewards.
- Fixed PDFium displaying “Brave Software Drive” in the “Save as PDF” modal.
- Fixed shields content should be specific to the page that the shields panel is opened from.
- Fixed shields warning not visible when changing between advanced vs simple view while using dark theme.
- Fixed “brave-browser.list” being removed on Linux whenever upgrading Brave.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.4.95:
- Added the ability to look up an archived page using the Wayback Machine.
- Added option in brave://settings to disable Tor component.
- Updated order of certain items on the hamburger menu.
- Updated theme selection to be per install instead of per profile.
- Fixed sync crash in certain cases.
- Fixed ads history being limited to 99 entries.
- Fixed ads history entries not being displayed in reverse chronological order.
- Fixed ads history showing incorrect date on Linux.
- Fixed multiple landed confirmations being created in certain cases.
- Fixed broken formatting of monthly contributions on brave://rewards for some locales.
- Fixed rewards notification icon not being shown on verified publisher sites.
- Fixed extensions being blocked when verifying Brave Rewards wallet.
- Fixed “too many redirects” error caused by Brave’s user-agent.
- Fixed P3A toggle selection not being respected in all open windows.
- Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.122.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.3.115:
- Fixed several crashes and stability issues by temporarily disabling sync.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.3.113:
- Added New Tab Page Sponsored Images.
- Added the ability to opt-in to user private Brave ads for over 30 new regions.
- Added the ability for multiple segments to trigger ad notifications.
- Added OS level targeting for ads.
- Added server configurable default tip amounts.
- Added web compatibility reporter on Brave Shields.
- Added additional zoom levels.
- Added the ability for users to disable autocomplete.
- Added the ability to disable Tor via Admin policy.
- Added auto-compaction for sync to reduce transferred data amount.
- Updated permissions for Uphold user wallets for Brave Rewards.
- Updated UI for the Brave Rewards widget on the New Tab Page.
- Updated text to indicate that wallet verification is optional.
- Updated “Thank you” text on monthly contribution banner.
- Updated ads panel on brave://rewards to display BAT with 1 decimal place.
- Updated speaker button on pinned tabs so it cannot be clicked.
- Updated Widevine setting to be install specific instead of profile specific.
- Updated the New Tab Page to be more dynamic.
- Updated sync chain preferences.
- Disabled out of process rasterization by default.
- Fixed crash which occurred when
extensions-toolbar-menuis enabled in brave://flags.
- Fixed ads crash in certain cases.
- Fixed Brave Rewards widget not reflecting auto contribute amount.
- Fixed wallet balance not updating dynamically on the tip banner.
- Fixed incorrect balance displaying when rewards is toggled off.
- Fixed claim banner not being removed from brave://rewards in certain cases.
- Fixed the tipping banner always showing a disabled vertical scrollbar.
- Fixed multiple entries displaying in ads history for the same ad notification.
- Fixed inability to open ad notifications from notification center on Windows.
- Fixed certain cases where browser doesn’t retry to get new signed ad tokens.
- Fixed global shields setting for “Only block cross-site cookies” not working.
- Fixed missing context menu items.
- Fixed inconsistent naming for Site Settings in brave://settings/clearBrowserData.
- Fixed exported password file name.
- Fixed “Add to Chrome” being displayed instead of “Add to Brave” in Chrome Web Store.
- Fixed inability to login to Expensify with Google Authentication.
- Fixed certain cases where bookmarks are missing from sync after chain creation.
- Fixed certain cases where bookmark location changes are not synced to other devices on chain.
- Fixed issue with sync chain reset when device is offline.
- Fixed webview crash on
- Fixed display glitches in certain cases.
- Fixed top sites widget not moving up when stats widget is hidden on the New Tab Page.
- Fixed typescript files not displaying syntax highlighting in Developer Tools.
- Upgraded Chromium to 80.0.3987.87.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.2.43:
- Upgraded Chromium 79.0.3945.130.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.2.42:
- Upgraded Chromium to 79.0.3945.117.
Changes in Brave Browser 1.2.41:
- Added auto refresh of page after selecting “Always allow autoplay on…” from URL bar.
- Added setting to allow “Remote debugging” in brave://settings/privacy.
- Added ability to choose between Crypto Wallets or MetaMask for Dapps.
- Updated Monthly Contribution text for Brave Rewards.
- Updated tip banner to contain “Thank You” message after tip is made.
- Improved general performance by only loading WebTorrent component when torrent or magnet pages are opened.
- Revamped bookmark structure to improve syncing across multiple platforms.
- Disabled option to open Tor in a Guest window.
- Fixed certain cases where multiple auto contributions were occurring. )
- Fixed crash when attempting to open brave://sync from Tor window.
- Fixed extensions denial of service issue as reported on HackerOne by world_languages.
- Fixed incorrect number of maximum daily ad notifications.
- Fixed Developer Tools Audit feature so it no longer freezes.
- Fixed GTK+ dark theme display issue on Linux.
- Fixed incorrect SUID sandbox on Linux.
- Fixed inability to log into Bing Rewards.
- Fixed “Relaunch” button resetting “Use Google Services for Push Messaging” selection.
Homepage – https://brave.com
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 or later
- OS X Yosemite 10.10 or later
- 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04+, Mint 17+, Debian 9+, openSUSE 15+, Fedora Linux 28+, or CentOS/RHEL 8+
- iOS 12.0 or later.
- Varies with Android device
Size: 65.9 MB