It shows a realistic sky in 3D. Just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
Stellarium displays stars, constellations, planets, nebulas and others things like ground, landscape, atmosphere, etc. There is an ability to add new solar system objects from online resources.
You can add your own deep sky objects, landscapes, constellation images, scripts. The plugin system adds artifical satellites, ocular simulation, telescope configuration and more.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.
Stellarium is available for Linux, Unix, Windows, macOS and Android.
- default catalogue of over 600,000 stars
- extra catalogues with more than 210 million stars
- asterisms and illustrations of the constellations
- constellations for eleven different cultures
- images of nebulae (full Messier catalogue)
- realistic Milky Way
- very realistic atmosphere, sunrise and sunset
- the planets and their satellites
- a powerful zoom
- time control
- multilingual interface
- fisheye projection for planetarium domes
- spheric mirror projection for your own low-cost dome
- all new graphical interface and extensive keyboard control
- telescope control
- equatorial and azimuthal grids
- star twinkling
- shooting stars
- eclipse simulation
- skinnable landscapes, now with spheric panorama projection
Homepage – http://www.stellarium.org
Size: 156 MB