It shows a realistic sky in 3D. Just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
Stellarium displays stars, constellations, planets, nebulas and others things like ground, landscape, atmosphere, etc. There is an ability to add new solar system objects from online resources.
You can add your own deep sky objects, landscapes, constellation images, scripts. The plugin system adds artifical satellites, ocular simulation, telescope configuration and more.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.
Stellarium is available for Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac OS X and Android.
- default catalogue of over 600,000 stars
- extra catalogues with more than 210 million stars
- asterisms and illustrations of the constellations
- constellations for eleven different cultures
- images of nebulae (full Messier catalogue)
- realistic Milky Way
- very realistic atmosphere, sunrise and sunset
- the planets and their satellites
- a powerful zoom
- time control
- multilingual interface
- fisheye projection for planetarium domes
- spheric mirror projection for your own low-cost dome
- all new graphical interface and extensive keyboard control
- telescope control
- equatorial and azimuthal grids
- star twinkling
- shooting stars
- eclipse simulation
- skinnable landscapes, now with spheric panorama projection
Changes in version 0.15.1.1:
- Based on Qt 5.6.2 (Visual Studio Express 2013) with media support.
- The Digital Sky Survey (DSS) can be shown (requires online connection).
- AstroCalc is now available from the main menu and gives interesting new computational insight.
- Stellarium can act as Spout sender (important for multimedia environments; Windows only).
- Fixed: wait() and waitFor() in the Scripting Engine no longer inhibits performance of moves.
- Fixed: DE430/431 DeltaT may be OK now.
- ArchaeoLines also offers two arbitrary declination lines.
- Added support of time zones dependent by location.
- Added new skyculture: Sardinian.
- Added updates and improvements in catalogs.
- Added improvements in the GUI.
- Added cross identification data for stars from Bright Star Catalogue, 5th Revised Ed.
Homepage – http://www.stellarium.org
Size: 147 MB