Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. Stellarium renders 3D photo-realistic skies in real time with OpenGL. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. Stellarium displays stars, constellations, planets, nebulas and others things like ground, landscape, atmosphere, etc. There is an ability to add new solar system objects from online resources. You can add your own deep sky objects, landscapes, constellation images, scripts. The plugin system adds artifical satellites, ocular simulation, telescope configuration and more. It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go. Stellarium is available for Linux/Unix, Windows and Mac OS X.
• default catalogue of over 600,000 stars
• extra catalogues with more than 210 million stars
• asterisms and illustrations of the constellations
• constellations for eleven different cultures
• images of nebulae (full Messier catalogue)
• realistic Milky Way
• very realistic atmosphere, sunrise and sunset
• the planets and their satellites
• a powerful zoom
• time control
• multilingual interface
• fisheye projection for planetarium domes
• spheric mirror projection for your own low-cost dome
• all new graphical interface and extensive keyboard control
• telescope control
• equatorial and azimuthal grids
• star twinkling
• shooting stars
• eclipse simulation
• skinnable landscapes, now with spheric panorama projection
Changes in Stellarium version 0.13.0:
– New modulated core.
– Refactored shadows and introducing the normal mapping.
– Sporadic meteors and meteors has the colors now.
– Comet tails rendering.
– New translatable strings and new textures.
– New plugin: Equation of Time – provides solution for Equation of Time.
– New plugin: Field of View – provides shortcuts for quick changes field of view.
– New plugin: Navigational Stars – marks 58 navigational stars on the sky.
– New plugin: Pointer Coordinates – shows the coordinates of the mouse pointer.
– New plugin: Meteor Showers – provides visualization of meteor showers.
– New version of the Satellites plugin: introduces star-like satellites and bug fixes.
– New version of the Exoplanets plugin: displaying of the potential habitable exoplanets; improvements for performance and code refactoring.
– New version of the Angle Measure plugin: displaying of the position angle.
– New version of the Quasars plugin: improvements for performance; added marker_color parameter.
– New version of the Pulsars plugin: improvements for performance; display pulsars with glitches; setting color for marker for different types of the pulsars.
– New versions of the Compass Marks, Oculars, Historical Supernovae, Observability analysis and Bright Novae plugins: bug fixing, code refactoring and improvements.
Homepage – http://www.stellarium.org
Size: 104 MB