Pale Moon is a custom-built and speed optimized Firefox browser. The project uses contributed Open Source code to create a full-featured, speed optimized browser based on Firefox browser.
Having seen the advantages on other systems (e.g. Linux) with regards to programs being compiled specifically for the capabilities of the machine it is installed on, it became obviously clear that Windows users were at a disadvantage.
Mozilla only releases windows executables with maximum compatibility in mind, meaning that Firefox is made to run on as many different systems as possible, sacrificing efficiency and speed in the process to be compatible with, by current standards, absolutely ancient hardware.
Mozilla does not provide optimized browser packages for Windows. That means you may be lose speed and efficiency when you use your browser.
That needs to change. Therefore Pale Moon project offers custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows Operating Systems. Make sure to get the most speed and efficiency out of your browser!
Pale Moon Main features:
- Highly optimized for modern processors
- 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
- Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons), themes and personas
- Able to use existing Firefox profiles, bookmarks and settings with this migration tool
- Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
- Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
- Support for HTML5 and WebGL (v4)
- Stability: experience fewer browser crashes.
- Support for SVG and Canvas, and downloadable fonts including WOFF
- Support for OOPP (Out-of-process plugin execution)
Users will find a slightly more conservative approach to changes in the user interface in the Pale Moon browser. It, although very close to Firefox, is (now more obviously so than before) a different product. However, these differences in layout do not prevent anyone from configuring their browser interface to exactly the way they want it to look and work. Including like Mozilla Firefox’s default layout if they so wish.
- Fixed potential crashes. DiD
- Fixed a potential indirect exploit of Microsoft Internet Explorer. (CVE-2021-38492)
- Unified XUL Platform Mozilla Security Patch Summary: 1 fixed, 2 DiD, 8 not applicable.
Changes in Pale Moon 29.4.0 (2021-08-17):
- Implemented global
originon windows and workers.
- Improved performance of memory allocations.
- Updated libcubeb to the current development version.
This improves OSS compatibility and addresses potential crashes, performance issues and security issues.
- Updated SQLite to 3.36.0.
- Improved thread safety of the web content cache. DiD
- Added several fixes to avoid potential crashes and security issues. DiD
- Unified XUL Platform Mozilla Security Patch Summary: 5 DiD, 12 not applicable.
Changes in Pale Moon 29.3.0 (2021-07-19):
- “Web Developer” is now called “Developer Tools” in the menus.
- Updated and aligned about:home, the QuickDial page and logopage styling.
- Re-organized the privacy category in the preferences window.
- Enabled brotli compression for http for sites that support it. See implementation notes.
EventTargetas a constructor.
- Updated Windows 10 toolkit styling.
- Updated the port blacklist (removed 10080). See implementation notes.
- CSS: Implemented
calc()and animation support for
- Added support for checking boolean preferences to chrome CSS style sheets, to support more advanced theming options.
- Added support for dynamic dark color capable themes in CSS.
- Updated ResizeObserver implementation to a more recent specification. See implementation notes.
- Removed a metric ton of Macintosh code.
- Removed obsolete system theme support from the layout engine.
- Fixed several crashes.
- Linux: blocked particularly old versions of Mesa/Nouveau drivers due to issues.
- Security issues addressed: CVE-2021-30547 and several other issues that don’t have a CVE number.
- Unified XUL Platform Mozilla Security Patch Summary: 3 fixed, 3 DiD, 2 deferred (DiD), 12 not applicable.
Changes in Pale Moon 29.2.1 (2021-06-08):
- Worked around an issue with autocomplete popups sometimes failing to work (and added some debug console logging to it in case it happens to help find the root cause)
- Fixed an issue with DOM mouse scrolling throwing errors.
- Fixed a race with network detection routines firing incorrectly when resuming from standby.
- Fixed a crash when using large uploads through DOM.
- Fixed an issue where the menulist-button on editable menulist widgets was not visible on GTK3.
- Reduced the number of reported “important preferences” in troubleshooting information, excluding individual printer details.
- Fixed an issue with the JS JIT compiler not tracing debugger environments (DiD).
Changes in Pale Moon 29.2.0 (2021-04-27):
- When opening tabs from the History side bar, Pale Moon will now warn you about the action if it would result in opening many tabs at once.
- Pale Moon now offers “Open All in Tabs” on bookmark folders even if there is only one sub-item in it, for UI consistency.
- Added media format controls in the Content category of Preferences.
- Added controls for preferred color scheme. See implementation notes.
- Updated several site-specific user-agent overrides for web compatibility.
- Removed the ability to accept Firefox IDs for extension installation.
- Removed conditional Macintosh code from the application front-end.
- Updated the AV1 reference library to 2.0.
- Cleaned up more Android code from the platform.
- Updated the embedded emoji font to cater to even more race-dependent profession emoji.
- Fixed an overflow in clip paths, potentially causing them to be rendered incorrectly.
- Added CSS values
Intl.NumberFormat.formatToParts()to allow deconstruction of localized number formats by scripts.
- Reinstated the
dom.details_element.enabledpreference and fixed a rendering issue with summary/details html elements.
- Fixed an issue with CSP
.nonceattributes on elements.
- Security issues addressed: CVE-2021-29946 DiD and CVE-2021-23994 DiD .
- Unified XUL Platform Mozilla Security Patch Summary: 2 DiD, 14 not applicable.
Homepage – https://www.palemoon.org
Minimum System Requirements:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Server 2008 R2 or later
- A processor with SSE2 instruction support
- 1 GB of RAM
- At least 200 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space
Size: 31.5 MB