VMware Workstation PRO is powerful desktop virtualization software for software developers, testers and enterprise IT professionals. It can run multiple operating systems simultaneously on a single computer.
VMware Workstation Pro is the easiest, fastest and most reliable way to evaluate new operating systems. Also the software applications and patches, and reference architectures in an isolated and safe virtualized environment.
No other desktop virtualization software offers the performance, reliability, and cutting edge features of VMware Workstation Pro. This software is an integral component of any serious technical professional’s toolkit.
VMware Workstation Pro takes virtualization to the next level with the broadest operating system support, rich user experience, a comprehensive feature set and high performance.
VMware Workstation Pro is the perfect tool to increase productivity, save time and conquer the cloud. Supports the latest version of Windows and Linux, the latest processors and hardware. And the ability to connect to VMware vSphere and vCloud Air.
VMware Workstation Pro gives powerful control over how to set up and interact with virtual machines whether running them locally on your PC or in the cloud. The interface includes simplified menus, live thumbnails, tabs, preferences screens. And a virtual machine library with search capability allowing you to quickly view and access you virtual machines saving valuable time.
Built for Microsoft Windows 10 and More
VMware Workstation Pro is the best way to evaluate and test Windows 10 with your existing Windows or Linux PC. In a few simple steps you can easily install Windows 10 in a virtual machines from a disc. Or from ISO image using the Workstation Virtual Machines Wizard. You can start taking advantage of Windows 10 latest features like Cortana the personal digital assistant, new Edge web browser. Or even start building Universal Apps for Windows 10 devices. You can even ask Cortana to launch VMware Workstation right from Windows 10.
Ready for High Resolution Displays
VMware Workstation Pro has been optimized to support high resolution 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) displays for Desktops and QHD+ (3200×1800) displays used in laptops and x86 tablets providing you with a crisp and detailed experience. VMware Workstation 14 Pro now supports multiple monitors on the host with different DPI settings so you can run your brand new 4K UHD display along with your existing 1080P HD display.
Create Powerful Virtual Machines
With VMware Workstation Pro, you can create virtual machines with up to 16 vCPUs, 8 TB virtual disks, and 64 GB of memory to run the most demanding desktop and server applications in a virtualized environment. You can give graphics-intensive applications an additional boost by allocating up to 2GB of video memory to a virtual machine.
Ready for the Latest Hardware
Take advantage of the latest Intel based tablets with Workstation virtual tablets sensors. Leverage the latest Microsoft Surface tablets with Workstation’s virtual accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and ambient light sensor to enable applications running in the virtual machines to respond when a user moves, rotates, and shakes their tablet. Whether you are running on a laptop, tablet, or desktop, VMware Workstation Pro supports the latest Intel 64-bit x86 processors, including the Broadwell and Haswell microarchitecture for maximum performance.
Build Virtual Networks
With improved IPv6 support, including IPv6-to-IPv4 Network Address Translation (6to4 and 4to6), users can create more complex networking topologies than ever before. Use the VMware Workstation Pro virtual network editor to add and remove virtual IPv4 or IPv6 networks. Create custom virtual networking configurations, ideal for testing and demonstration environments without impacting the PCs network configuration.
Leverage the Power of vSphere and vCloud Air
VMware Workstation Pro provides connections to VMware vSphere and vCloud Air service. It allows you to extend and scale your virtual machines in the cloud. Seamlessly drag and drop virtual machines between your PC and your internal cloud running vSphere, ESXi or another instance of Workstation. In addition, easily connect to vCloud Air. You will able to upload, run, and view virtual machines right from the Workstation Pro interface.
Virtual Machine Cross Compatibility
With Workstation Pro you can create virtual machines that can run across the VMware product portfolio. Or create restricted virtual machines that can be used in Horizon FLEX, Fusion Pro, and Workstation Player.
- Support for new host/guest operating systems:
- Windows 10 20H2
- Ubuntu 20.10
- Fedora 33
- RHEL 8.3
vctl kindto support KIND v0.9.0
- Container and Kubernetes Support
- Build/run/pull/push container images using the vctl CLI.
- Supports KIND kubernetes clusters running on top of Workstation Pro.
Note: Windows 10 1809 or higher is required
- New Guest Operating System Support
- RHEL 8.2
- Debian 10.5
- Fedora 32
- CentOS 8.2
- SLE 15 SP2 GA
- FreeBSD 11.4
- ESXi 7.0
- Support for DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.1 in the Guest
- Hardware Requirements:
- For Windows hosts, a GPU that supports DirectX 11.0 is required.
- For Linux hosts, a NVIDIA GPU is required.
- Software Requirements:
- Host Operating System (64-bit):
- Windows 8 or higher
- GNU/Linux with NVIDIA drivers that support OpenGL 4.5 and above
- Guest Operating System
- Windows 7 or higher
- GNU/Linux with vmwgfx
- Host Operating System (64-bit):
- Hardware Requirements:
- Vulkan Render Support for Linux Workstation. Workstation 16 Pro enables 3D support for Intel GPUs on Linux host to deliver DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 to VMs using Vulkan renderer.Note: Linux host operating system with a recent Intel/Vulkan driver is needed, Mesa 20.1 or later is recommended.
- Sandboxed Graphics. Virtual machine security is enhanced by removing graphics render from vmx and running it as a separate sandbox process.
- USB 3.1 Controller Support. The virtual machines virtual XHCI controller is changed from USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 to support 10 Gbps.
- Larger VM
- 32 virtual CPUs
- 128 GB virtual memory
Note: Running virtual machines with 32 vCPUs requires that your host and guest operating systems both support 32 logical processors.
- 8 GB virtual graphics memory
- Dark ModeWorkstation 16 Pro supports Dark Mode for optimized user experience.
- Note: Requires host operating systems to be Windows 10 1809 or higher
- vSphere 7.0 SupportIn Workstation 16 you can perform the following:
- Connect to vSphere 7.0.
- Upload a local virtual machine to vSphere 7.0.
- Download a remote virtual machine running on vSphere 7.0 to the local desktop.
- Performance Improvements
- Improved file transfer speeds (Drag and Drop, Copy and Paste)
- Improved virtual machine shutdown time.
- Improved virtual NVMe storage performance.
- Improved Accessibility Support. Accessibility improvements have been added so Workstation Pro is compliant with WCAG 2.1 criteria.
Product Support Notices
- Removal of Shared VM feature. Shared virtual machines (Workstation as server) has reached end of life and been removed from VMware Workstation 16.
- Removal of restricted virtual machines. Restricted virtual machine has reached end of life and been removed from VMware Workstation 16.
- Workstation addresses multiple out-of-bounds read vulnerabilities in Cortado Thinprint component. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifiers CVE-2020-3986, CVE-2020-3987, and CVE-2020-3988 to these issues.
- Workstation addresses a denial of service vulnerability due to an out-of-bounds write issue in Cortado Thinprint component. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2020-3989 to this issue.
- Workstation addresses an information disclosure vulnerability due to an integer overflow issue in Cortado Thinprint component. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2020-3990 to this issue.
- After priority.ungrabbed = “low” is set in the virtual machine configuration file, the priority of vmware-vmx process shows as Normal, when checked on the Host Task manager. This setting has always worked until Workstation Pro 15.5 was released, however with the 15.5.5 release the status of the process stays at Normal. This issue is now resolved.
- A Windows XP x64 virtual machine freezes during boot, when Workstation is running on Win10 host with Hyper-V Enabled. MSFT has bugs in APIC virtualization that block WinXP SP2 boot process. This issue is now resolved.
- Sound quality is degraded. The quality of sound playback and recording through the emulated ES1371 sound device is degraded when compared to Workstation 15.5.2 and earlier versions. This issue is now resolved.
- The Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock keys and indicators don’t operate as expected. The Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock keys and indicators behave erratically in a Linux virtual machine running on Workstation 15.5.5. This issue is now resolved.
What’s new in VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.5 Build 16285975 | May 28, 2020:
- Windows 10 host VBS support: VMware Workstation 15.5.5 now runs on Windows hosts with Hyper-V features (For example: virtualization based security) enabled.The followings are minimum requirement to run VMware Workstation on a Hyper-V enabled host:CPU Requirements:
- Intel Sandy Bridge or a newer CPU
- AMD Bulldozer or a newer CPU
Supported Host Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 20H1 build 19041.264 or newer
- Support for new Guest Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 20H1
- Ubuntu 20.04
- Fedora 32
- Support for new Host Operation Systems:
- Windows 10 20H1
- Ubuntu 20.04
What’s new in VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.2 Build 15785246 | March 12, 2020:
- Workstation 15.5.2 Pro addresses a use-after-free vulnerability in vmnetdhcp. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2020-3947 to this issue.
- Workstation 15.5.2 Pro addresses a local privilege escalation vulnerability in Cortado Thinprint. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2020-3948 to this issue.
- Workstation 15.5.2 Pro addresses a privilege escalation vulnerability. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5543 to this issue.
What’s new in VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.1 Build 15018445 | Nov 12, 2019:
- Workstation 15.5.1 Pro addresses an out-of-bounds write vulnerability in the e1000e virtual network adapter. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5541 to this issue.
- Workstation 15.5.1 Pro addresses an information disclosure vulnerability in vmnetdhcp. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5540 to this issue.
- Workstation 15.5.1 Pro addresses a denial-of-service vulnerability in the RPC handler. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5542 to this issue.
- Workstation 15.5.1 Pro resolves TSX Asynchronous Abort (TAA), a speculative-execution vulnerability identified by CVE-2019-11135.
- Workstation 15.5.1 Pro resolves a regression introduced in Workstation 15.5.0 Pro which causes the Hypervisor-Specific mitigations for L1TF and MDS vulnerabilities to be ineffective.
Homepage – https://www.vmware.com
VMware Workstation Pro runs on most 64-bit Windows or Linux host operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Oracle Linux
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Size: 621 MB