XYplorer is a multi-tabbed file manager for Windows, featuring a very powerful file search, versatile preview facilities, a highly customizable interface, and a large array of unique ways to efficiently automate frequently recurring tasks. It’s extremely fast and light, it’s innovative, and it’s fun!
XYplorer (formerly known as TrackerV3) is a hybrid file manager that combines features found in navigational and orthodox file managers.
Instead of dual folder panes, it features a file tree and a tabbed interface for folders that supports drag-and-drop between tabs.
A central feature is the hideable information panel at the bottom that can be used to view file properties and contents, generate reports, find files and preview files. Such as PNG, TIF, GIF, JPG, TGA, PSD, ICO; WAV, MP3, MPEG, AVI; TTF, PFB; HTML, EML, MSG, DOC, XLS, PDF, and many other formats.
The XYplorer search facility supports Boolean logic, Regular Expressions, whole word and fuzzy matching, binary string search, and multiple location search. The unique feature is the Catalog, which is a user created panel of links to files, folders, URLs, and similar entries. Another feature is Scripting, which allows user to create stored sets of commands, similar to a macro. Also the UDC (User Defined Commands), which allow user to create a limited set of customized commands.
- XYplorer is a Portable File Manager. It doesn’t require any installation, nor does it ever change your system or registry. Ideal for a USB drive.
- Tabbed Browsing. Cutting-edge file management using a true multi-tabbed interface.
- Dual Pane spells productivity and ease of use.
- Powerful file search with amazing speed. It supports Boolean Logic, Regular Expressions, Boolean RegExp, Content Search, and more…
- Folder View Settings. Save and auto-restore the view settings of any particular folder. Great feature, saves a lot of time.
- Mini Tree, the author’s personal killer feature.
- Folder Sizes can be shown right in the file list.
- Tags and Comments let you give colors, labels, and comments to individual filenames.
- Reduce your daily routines to simple keystrokes with User-Defined Commands!
- Scripting. Advanced solutions for advanced tasks.
- One-click previews of all important image, audio, video, web, office, and font file formats.
- A powerful Favorites Panel called Catalog.
- Quickly create New Items from a configurable menu, a major time saver!
- Portable File Associations. Home is where your double-click is!
- Customizable Keyboard Shortcuts for more than 300 functions. Have it your way!
- A clean and user-friendly interface makes working with XYplorer easy and intuitive.
Changes in XYplorer 21.70.0000 (2021-04-07):
- Seamless Wave Looping. Just select a sample file and hear it spinning in a perfect seamless loop. Audio folks love it.
- Smart Branch View. A new branch view (aka flat view) type shows only files and non-empty folders, i.e. any folders that contain nothing or only empty folders (or, in case of a search, do not contain any files that match the search) are not listed in the branch view. Gives you a much cleaner and more useful view.
- Tree Scroll Position Remembered Per Tab. Optionally, each tab restores the tree position it was in when it was last exited. Many users have waited for this feature, not many file managers have it.
- Color-Code Empty Tree Folders. Finally color filters can be applied in the folder tree in a way that lets you spot all empty folders at a glance.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Elise LeGrow.
Changes in XYplorer 21.60.0100 (2021-03-24):
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Changes in XYplorer 21.60.0000 (2021-03-15):
- Hover Box Wheel Scaling. Now the mouse wheel can scale images and PDF previews while the Hover Box (a zero-click preview that pops up by merely hovering the filename) is shown. So natural and so useful.
- Mouse Down Blow Up Zoomed. Ready for another game changer? Mouse Down Blow Up (a large preview that pops up on mouse down on a thumbnail or icon) now can zoom into the original by a freely configurable zoom factor. Got small images, large screens, and weak eyes? MDBUZ is your ticket.
- Find Files by Contained Characters. Now you can find files that contain certain characters or character ranges within their textual contents. Allows you to search for files containing any characters in the upper Unicode range, or any Mongolian characters, or whatever specific characters you are interested in.
- Apply Button in Configuration. Street pressure became unbearable so an Apply button was added that allows you to apply any changed settings to the main window without closing the Configuration dialog.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Starcrawler.
Changes in XYplorer 21.50.0100 (2021-01-18):
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Changes in XYplorer 21.50.0000 (2021-01-15):
- Hover Box Scrolling. Now you can keyboard-scroll and wheel-scroll the Folder Contents Preview, the Zip Contents Preview, and the Text Preview. You won’t get this degree of interface coolness anywhere else.
- Hover Box for Tabs. Now you can show a Hover Box with Folder Contents Preview for any tab simply by hovering the tab header icon. Saves you a click if you just want to quickly see what’s in the tab, or what has recently arrived in the tab. Even works for Paper Folders.
- Custom Copy with Free Space Status. Now the progress dialog shows the amount of used and free space on the target drive in real time, graphically and in numbers. Just gives you that soothing feeling that comes from knowing the consequences of your actions.
- Shorten Filenames. Now you can shorten the names of a whole bunch of files by cutting off a certain number of characters from the right end of the base name.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of The Hi-Jivers.
Changes in XYplorer 21.40.0000 (2020-12-23):
- Custom Event Actions. A major new feature that provides you with an easy to use yet powerful usability booster. For example, you now can freely decide what should happen when a folder is middle-clicked, or when the status bar is double-clicked, and so on. It can be simple things like “Open in new background tab” or “Go up”, but it can also be much more. If you know a bit about scripting, Custom Event Actions can be a real game changer. And if you don’t you now have a good reason to learn it.
- Sorting the Folder Contents Preview. Now you can control the sort order in the Folder Contents Preview, which also includes the Hover Box on folders. Quite likely you want to see the recent files on top. Now you can.
- Shorten Filenames. Finally the app offers a way to shorten the names of a whole bunch of files. You can cut them down from both ends.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Black Pumas.
Changes in XYplorer 21.30.0000 (2020-11-24):
- Transparent Folders
- Compilation Soundtrack
Changes in XYplorer 21.20.0000 (2020-10-15):
- Rename Without Extensions. Now you can completely hide the extensions from the inline rename box. It’s relaxing to have them out of the way. Very rarely you want to change the extension of a file anyway.
- Set Archive Attribute. Now you can automatically set the archive attribute on all recursive contents a renamed folder. This allows backup operations by programs like XCOPY to decide what has to be backed up.
- Swap Panes. Now you can swap the positions of both panes, including tabs, breadcrumbs, and the pane dimensions. Good news for left-to-right draggers.
- Buttons In Catalog. Now you can easily add toolbar buttons with their icons, captions, and functionality to the Catalog. So the Catalog can serve as a second, vertical toolbar.
- Backup Logged. Backup and sync operations are now added to the action log. You cannot undo them (that would be meaningless) but you have them nicely logged now, so you can look up what you have done and when.
- Autosize Name Column Right Margin. Isn’t it annoying when on autosize the name column springs to a width far beyond the window edge where you cannot see it anyway, and where you’re forced to horizontally scroll the list to enable you to manually grab the column separator to make it smaller again? Not anymore! Now you can define a minimal margin from the right window edge. The name column will not go beyond this margin on autosize.
- Adaptive Name Column Width. Tick it to soften the width of the name column when resizing the list so that all other columns keep their width and visibility. Try it, you will quickly get used to it.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Norah Jones.
Changes in XYplorer 21.10.0000 (2020-09-15):
- 64-bit Preview. Some file types, e.g. WebP graphic files (WEBP), SolidWorks files (SLDASM, SLDDRW, SLDPRT) or OpenOffice files (ODP, ODS, ODT), implement their preview not via preview handlers but via thumbnail providers. This has always been supported for 32-bit thumbnail providers. However, in some cases those thumbnail providers are only provided in the 64-bit flavor (e.g. SolidWorks). Those are supported now as well, so there are SolidWorks and many other previews now.
- Quick Find Files. The Quick Search dialog now offers a Quick Find Files mode where you can remote control the Find Files tab in the Info Panel (F12). That way you can quickly do a Find Files search without first opening that tab and without having it in the way of the search results listing.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of The Surfrajettes.
Changes in XYplorer 21.00.0000 (2020-09-01):
- 64-bit Preview. Now XYplorer supports 64-bit preview handlers for Office files (MS Office, PDF, EML). No configuration necessary, it just works.
- Message Preview. Now you get a WYSIWYG preview for email files (EML and MSG). No configuration necessary, it just works.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Justin Townes Earle.
Changes in XYplorer 20.90.0000 (2020-03-30):
- Middle Truncation. Now you get the option to truncate overflowing filenames in the middle instead of at the end. Useful because the end of the name often has interesting info bits like dates or serial numbers.
- Dark Mode with Adaptive Colors. Now you can control the retina-friendliness of the Dark Mode. It’s your choice whether brighter colors (selections, filters, highlights, etc) are automatically dimmed down a bit to make them softer on the eye.
- Duplicate Image Finder. Now the hash is also generated for ICO and CUR files, so these image types will also be searched and found.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Bob Dylan.
Changes in XYplorer 20.80.0000 (2020-02-10):
- Duplicate Image Finder. Now you can find image dupes, and fast. Quite handy when sweeping your photo collection. You can even sort images by visual similarity, an interesting feature and hard to find elsewhere.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Skip James.
Changes in XYplorer 20.70.0000 (2020-01-28):
- This Is A BIG Maintenance Release. There have been numerous minor fixes and enhancements since 20.60.
- Compilation Soundtrack. Compiled to the music of Blackberry Smoke.
Homepage – https://www.xyplorer.com
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019.