WinContig is an easy-to-use standalone executable defragmenter. It doesn’t create any installation directories or Registry entries on your computer.
Its purpose is to quick defragment files without the need to defragment the whole disk. In addition, WinContig allows you to group files and folders into profiles for processing them later.
WinContig supports FAT32 and NTFS file systems and it works with Hard Disks and SSDs.
Most defragmentation tools perform a general defragmentation of an entire partition. In a real life scenario, you often want to defragment a single file or a directory, for example to improve the loading speed of a program file, or to reduce the loading time of a certain disk intensive application like a game.
WinContig has been designed specifically to meet the needs of users who focus mainly on files and folders rather than an entire disk.
Its ability to filter files by several criteria combined with its ability to be controlled via command-line switches, make WinContig the perfect tool to defragment particular files that are frequently used and continuously becoming fragmented.
In order to start using it, just extract the contents of the ZIP archive to any folder you like, and run it. Its defragmentation and analysis engine is based on the standard Microsoft defragmentation API.
The WinContig supports two different defragmentation methods:
If you choose the Quick method, WinContig does look for the first amount of free space large enough to defragment a file into and uses it. Use this defragmentation method if you use tools like Windows Defrag to defragment your hard disk on a regular basis.
If you choose the Smart method, program does look for the amount of free space that best fits a file into ad uses it. Also, if there is no free space large enough to fully defragment a file into, WinContig does try to reduce the number of fragments of that file.
This application is released as freeware for personal and commercial use.
What’s new in WinContig 22.214.171.124:
- WinContig may not correctly display messages and disk check results in East Asian systems. Fixed. Many thanks to Robert Choi (who pointed it out) for his continuous and commendable support.
- Updated the Korean language module.
What’s new in WinContig 126.96.36.199:
- Dropped support for Windows XP. Starting from this version, the minimum supported OS is Windows Vista.
- WinContig has a new Options dialog box.
- Added the ability to load a profile at startup.
- Added the ability to change the media type associated with a physical disk.
- Added the ability to prevent the defragmentation of the files when computer runs on battery power.
- Added the ability to filter out the files by the number of their fragments.
- Added the ability to filter out the files by the size of their fragments.
- [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to close WinContig by pressing the ESC key.
- [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to highlight the row of the currently processed item.
- [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to show the profile name on the title bar.
- Some minor bugs fixed.
Homepage – https://wincontig.mdtzone.it
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
Size: 1.20 MB