Prey lets you keep track and find your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing – easily and all in one place. This lightweight, open source software gives you full and remote control, 24/7.
You can quickly find out what the thief looks like, what he’s doing on your device and actually where he’s hiding by using GPS or WiFi geopositioning. It’s payback time.
How it works: Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.
This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message. And it allows you to gather information regarding the device’s location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it.
You can quickly find out where your computer is located, who’s using it, and what he’s doing on it thanks to Prey’s powerful reports system. By marking your device as missing, Prey will gather all the evidence you request and send it either to your Control Panel account or directly to your mailbox, depending on the reporting method you choose.
Besides gathering information, you can also trigger actions remotely. Such as sounding a loud alarm or showing a message which will appear onscreen. Just in case you want the guy to know he’s being chased at. You can also wipe your stored passwords for security, or even lock down your PC to prevent access. In other words, you’re in control.
- 100% geolocation aware. Prey uses either the device’s GPS or the nearest WiFi hotspots to triangulate and grab a fix on its location. It’s shockingly accurate.
- Wifi autoconnect. If enabled, Prey will attempt to hook onto to the nearest open WiFi hotspot when no Internet connection is found.
- Light as a feather. Prey has very few dependencies and doesn’t even leave a memory footprint until activated. We care as much as you do.
- Know your enemy. Take a picture of the thief with your laptop’s webcam so you know what he looks like and where he’s hiding. Powerful evidence.
- Watch their movements. Grab a screenshot of the active session. If you’re lucky you may catch the guy logged into his email or Facebook account!
- Keep your data safe. Hide your Outlook or Thunderbird data and optionally remove your stored passwords, so no one will be able to look into your stuff.
- No unauthorized access. Fully lock down your PC, making it unusable unless a specific password is entered. The guy won’t be able to do a thing!
- Scan your hardware. Get a complete list of your PC’s CPU, motherboard, RAM, and BIOS information. Works great when used with Active Mode.
- Full auto updater. Prey can check its current version and automagically fetch and update itself, so you don’t need to manually reinstall each time.
Changes in Prey 1.9.1:
- Add version 1.9.1 to package.json
Changes in Prey 1.9.0:
Merged pull requests:
- Node version upgrade [#411] (#411) (javo)
- Action triggers for node client [#427] (#427) (javo)
- Allow native location on mac [#428] (#428) (javo)
- Device status improvements [#429] (#429) (javo)
Homepage – https://www.preyproject.com
Size: 23.8 MB