VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms, licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
VirtualDub lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video.
It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters.
VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
It can be used to delete segments of a video file, append new segments, or reorder existing segments. However, segments of different files cannot be mixed, and no transition effects can be applied.
VirtualDub is designed to process linear video streams, including filtering and recompression. It has digital and analog capture capabilities. It supports both DirectShow and Video for Windows capture. Also, VirtualDub comes with a number of filters.
- Fractional frame rates. Don't settle for 29 or 30 when you want 29.97.
- Optimized disk access for more consistent hard disk usage.
- Create AVI2 (OpenDML) files to break the AVI 2GB barrier and multiple files to break the FAT32 4GB limit.
- Integrated volume meter and histogram for input level monitoring.
- Real-time downsizing, noise reduction, and field swapping.
- Verbose monitoring, including compression levels, CPU usage, and free disk space.
- Access hidden video formats your capture card may support but not have a setting for, such as 352x480.
- Keyboard and mouse shortcuts for faster operation. To capture, just hit F6.
- Clean interface layout: caption, menu bar, info panel, status bar.
- Reads and writes AVI2 (OpenDML) and multi-segment AVI clips.
- Integrated MPEG-1 and Motion-JPEG decoders.
- Remove and replace audio tracks without touching the video.
- Extensive video filter set, including blur, sharpen, emboss, smooth, 3x3 convolution, flip, resize rotate, brightness/contrast, levels, deinterlace, and threshold.
- Bilinear and bicubic resampling -- no blocky resizes or rotates here.
- Decompress and recompress both audio and video.
- Remove segments of a video clip and save the rest, without recompressing.
- Adjust frame rate, decimate frames, and 3:2 pulldown removal.
- Preview the results, with live audio