MKVToolNix is the one of the best collection of tools (mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract, mkvpropedit and mmg) for modifying MKV files.
The graphical user interface (GUI) allows you to manipulate Matroska (MKV) files in several ways. You can use those tools to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract or inspect Matroska files.
MKVToolnix will also work with other video formats. Such as AVI, MPEG, MP4, MPEG, Ogg/OGM, RealVideo, MPEG1/2, H264/AVC, Dirac, VC1.
And more as well as some video codecs such as VP9 video codec support – reading from IVF, Matroska, WebM files, extract to IVF files.
Moreover the program can work with audio files such as AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, AC3, DTS/DTS-HD, Vorbis, RealAudio. And also work with most subtitle formats including SRT, PGS/ SUP, VobSub, ASS, and SSA.
It is a cross-platform application that will work on Microsoft Windows (both 32 and 64-bit versions), Apple macOS and Linux operating systems.
Here is also the portable version which does not require installation. You just need to start the function. It can also be stored on external devices and run on any computer you have access to.
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: Matroska reader: Vorbis tracks: stream comments (aka Vorbis comments) will be converted to Matroska attachments (for cover arts) and Matroska track tags (for other comments). Additionally the stream comments will be removed from Vorbis headers.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: added support for reading Opus audio from MP4 files. Part of the implementation of #2673.
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: added support for reading VP9 video from MP4 files. Part of the implementation of #2673.
- mkvmerge: Ogg reader: Vorbis, Opus & VP8 streams: stream comments (aka Vorbis comments) will be converted to Matroska attachments (for cover arts) and Matroska track tags (for other comments). Additionally the stream comments will be removed from Vorbis headers.
- mkvmerge: WAV reader: added support for reading RF64 files.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the list of predefined track names is now split up into three lists, one for each track type (audio, video & subtitles). Part of the implementation of #2654.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when trying to add thumbnails for a Blu-ray the GUI will determine the thumbnail’s pixel size from the thumbnail files if the XML file doesn’t contain that information. This works for JPEG and PNG files. Implements #2674.
- MKVToolNix GUI: general: line edits & combo boxes will now have a “clear text” button appear whenever they’re not empty. Part of the implementation of #2654.
- MKVToolNix GUI: update check: the dialog showing the latest news & version information states explicitly where the links take the user (the MKVToolNix `NEWS.md` file and YouTube respectively).
- mkvmerge: Matroska reader: mkvmerge did not copy the codec’s private data when reading WavPack from Matroska files.
- mkvmerge: MPLS handling: re-added caching when using MPLS playlists as input files.
- mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: when reading an MPLS playlist, the calculation of the minimum timestamp to use for shifting all output timestamps to zero was wrong. It was wrongfully considering timestamps from packets it would not copy due to the MPLS’s timestamp restrictions. This could lead to the first timestamps in the output file being quite large, e.g. more than a couple of minutes, causing sync problems when multiplexing together with other files.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the automatic switch between aspect ratio & display width/height wasn’t reflected in the configuration generated for `mkvmerge`. The user had to change between the two settings manually.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the progress dialog shown when scanning a Blu-ray wasn’t closed properly in certain situations.
- MKVToolNix GUI: general: the configured font was not applied to a lot of controls (e.g. the file & track lists or the menu entries) on application startup. Instead the user had to open & close the preferences in order for the font to be applied to all controls. .
Homepage – https://mkvtoolnix.download/
Size: 17.5 MB