Mp3tag is a powerful and easy-to-use universal Tag Editor that allows to edit metadata of common audio formats where it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE Tags.
It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words in tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more.
Mp3tag supports online database lookups from, e.g., Amazon, discogs, or freedb, allowing you to automatically gather proper tags and cover art for your music library.
Besides these features Mp3tag offers a variety of other functions and features ranging ranging from batch export of embedded album covers, over support for iTunes-specific tags like media type or TV Show settings, to combining multiple actions into groups that can be applied with a single mouse click.
Mp3tag supports the following audio formats:
- Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
- Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
- Monkey’s Audio (ape)
- Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
- MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
- Musepack (mpc)
- Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
- OptimFROG (ofr)
- OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
- Speex (spx)
- Tom’s Audio Kompressor (tak)
- True Audio (tta)
- Windows Media Audio (wma)
- WavPack (wv)
- Batch Tag Editing Write ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, MP4, WMA, APEv2 Tags and Vorbis Comments to multiple files at once.
- Support for Cover Art Download and add album covers to your files and make your library even more shiny.
- Import from Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz Save typing and import tags from online databases like Amazon, discogs, freedb, MusicBrainz, and more.
- Replace characters or words Replace strings in tags and filenames (with support for Regular Expressions).
- Create Playlists automatically Create and manage playlists automatically while editing.
- Rename files from tags Rename files based on the tag information and import tags from filenames.
- Export to HTML, RTF, CSV Generate nice reports and lists of your collection based on user-defined templates.
- Full Unicode Support User-interface and tagging are fully Unicode compliant.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.09 (2021-09-17):
- [2021-09-16] FIX: whitespace characters before file extension dot were automatically removed (since v3.08a).
- [2021-09-13] FIX: channel count is not correctly reported in all cases for MP4 with AC3. (#54321)
- [2021-09-10] NEW: added support for Windows 11.
- [2021-09-10] CHG: refreshed app icon.
- [2018-09-09] CHG: updated code-signing certificate.
- [2021-09-03] FIX: improved progress bar background color in dark mode. (#47059/34)
- [2021-09-03] FIX: `$validate` scripting function performed unwanted case conversion if parameter contained dots (since v3.08a).
- [2021-08-24] NEW: added reporting of existing ID3v1 tags in `%_tag%` for FLAC files.
- [2021-08-24] FIX: navigating via Shift+Tab from Filter to Tag Panel did not work in all cases.
- [2021-08-21] FIX: some parts of the main window were not redrawn correctly on dark mode setting change (since v3.08a).
- [2021-08-21] FIX: runtime error on program start under Windows 7 (since v3.08a).
- [2021-08-20] NEW: added support for dark mode under Windows 10 starting with build 1809 based on system setting.
- [2021-08-17] FIX: renaming files with creating folders could possibly result in invalid folders names ending with spaces or dots.
- [2021-08-16] NEW: added option to disable notification message that warns about unsaved changes.
- [2021-07-24] LNG: updated Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Hebrew, Slovak, and Turkish translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.08 (2021-07-23):
- FIX: cuesheet entries were not listed as separate files if audio information of referenced file cannot be read (since v3.03d). (#53743)
- LNG: added Armenian translation.
- CHG: installer is now Unicode-enabled.
- CHG: VorbisComment block is now always written before Picture block for FLAC as a workaround for an issue in Windows. (#53554)
- FIX: added special handling for ID3v2 comment descriptions `Songs-DB_Custom6` to `Songs-DB_Custom10`.
- NEW: added status bar indicator for long-running filtering operations. (#52917)
- NEW: added confirmation question if the Tag Panel contains unsaved changes and auto-saving is not enabled. (#53202)
- CHG: Tag Panel fields are only enabled if at least one file is selected. (#14229)
- CHG: remember previous image quality when adjusting cover art. (#53375)
- NEW: added support for FLAC in MP4.
- LNG: updated Brazilian Portuguese, Catalan, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish, and Ukrainian translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.07 (2021-05-21):
- NEW: added option to configure the image quality when resizing cover art via ‘Adjust cover’.
- NEW: added advanced tagging option to always display POPULARIMETER field for ID3v2 rating instead of app-specific convenience fields.
- NEW: added support for editing cover art for Matroska MKA/MKV tags.
- NEW: added support for WebP images for cover art.
- NEW: added support for MP4 fields ITUNESALBUMID, ITUNESARTISTID, ITUNESCOMPOSERID, ITUNESCOUNTRYID, ITUNESGENREID, and XID.
- CHG: re-added ACOUSTID_FINGERPRINT to list of standard fields on new installations or field-list reset.
- CHG: removing Matroska segment title if it differs from global tag title.
- CHG: added POPULARIMETER and RATING to list of standard fields.
- CHG: creating multiple fields using the multiple fields delimiter `\\` via replace or other actions was not possible.
- CHG: using special filenames `cover` and `back` for front and back covers at Matroska attachments.
- CHG: not using ID3v2 unsynchronization scheme anymore when writing ID3v2.4 due to compatibility reasons with apps that don’t implement the standard.
- FIX: regression to a possible runtime error when running actions that result in empty fields (since v3.05f).
- FIX: drawing artifacts when resizing columns and splitter at tag-sources results.
- FIX: suggest sorting of tag-sources result by length was still flaky.
- FIX: sorting tag-sources result by length did not work correctly if length column exceeded the one hour mark.
- FIX: occasional crash after using the extended tag dialog due to heap corruption.
- FIX: occasional cannot write to file error when editing tags via navigation in the file list (since v3.05a).
- FIX: layout problem where dropdown fields on Tag Panel were sometimes partially hidden behind vertical scrollbar.
- LNG: updated Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, and Turkish translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.06 (2021-03-25):
- NEW: CDG files are now also moved and copied with corresponding MP3, WMA, and FLAC files.
- NEW: added option to disable auto-sizing of columns in search results list of tag sources and to preserve manually adjusted column widths.
- NEW: added Retry button to tag sources if no results were found for search criteria.
- NEW: added Retry button for error message when retrieving album metadata from tag sources (2nd step).
- NEW: added actions and tag sources to file list context menu.
- NEW: added `IfGreater` and `IfLess` to web sources framework.
- CHG: action groups dialog keyboard shortcut to disable all action groups is now Ctrl+D.
- CHG: minor restructuring of file list context menu to separate Remove and Delete from each other.
- CHG: confirmation dialogs at pasting, cutting, and removing tags now use OK and Cancel buttons to allow for dismissal via Esc key.
- CHG: search query fields are now pre-filled with previous input when going back or retrying from tag sources.
- CHG: renamed Utils to Presets at action groups dialog and restructured the menu.
- CHG: added means to prevent duplicate keyboard mnemonics in file list context menu.
- CHG: minimum system requirements are now Windows 7 and a processor with SSE2 instruction set.FIX: querying data from tag sources did not send default user agent string if UserAgent was not enabled in tag source.
- FIX: changes that only affected upper / lower case in Tag Panel fields were ignored (since v3.05d).
- FIX: undo did not undo last edit operation if text field had focus.
- FIX: applying presets at action groups dialog enabled all currently selected actiongroups.
- FIX: suggest sorting of tag-sources result by length did only work if tag source provided lengths in seconds.
- FIX: regression where converter ‘Text file – Tag’ freezes application state (since v3.05a).
- FIX: file list scrolls back to leftmost position after saving or undoing changes.
- FIX: file list scrolls back to leftmost position when selecting multiple files in some cases.
- LNG: updated Catalan, Czech, French, Hebrew, Italian, Polish, Portuguese-BR, Slovak, Spanish, and Turkish translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.05 (2021-01-28):
- NEW: action type ‘Set cover properties’ to set cover type and/or cover description via actions.
- NEW: added entries for adding, editing, and removing fields to context menu of extended tag dialog field list.
- FIX: context menu entries of extended tag dialog field list were always active independent of selection and clipboard state.
- FIX: regression when reading information fields from AAC and TTA files.
- CHG: added option to adjust cover for multiple files with different covers from Tag Panel cover context menu.
- NEW: added displaying image in Tag Panel and reading of dimensions and mimetype when listing image files.
- FIX: regression where unsupported files are not listed despite file extensions are added to files to read.
- FIX: editing value of a field with multiple values via extended tag dialog moved edited value to end of value list.
- CHG: web sources framework `JoinLines` now uses all available lines if parameter is `-1` or exceeds input range.
- LNG: updated Catalan, Czech, Dutch, German, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, and Turkish translation.
Changes in Mp3tag 3.04 (2020-11-27):
- CHG: added special handling for iTunEXTC field name for MP4. (#50857)
- CHG: web sources framework debug output now doesn’t contain dump of input data anymore (use `debugwriteinput` for that).
- NEW: CDG files are now renamed with corresponding FLAC files.
- CHG: improved performance when reading MP3 and MP4 files.
- CHG: improved performance when selecting large amounts of files.
- NEW: added support for ALBUMARTIST, ALBUMARTISTSORT, and MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID to MusicBrainz tag source.
- FIX: documentation of action ‘Remove duplicate fields’ did not mention that the first value is retained.
- FIX: runtime error when attempting to display tag source toolbar tooltip for tag sources with very long names.
- NEW: added support for MP4 movie tag field DIRECTOR.
- CHG: changed Discogs tag sources to remove apostrophe from title.
- FIX: web sources framework json_select_many always assumed type string for selected elements.
- FIX: web sources framework json_select_array always assumed index parameter.
- CHG: pressing ESC while moving action groups via drag’n’drop in action groups dialog does not close dialog anymore.
- FIX: moving action groups via drag’n’drop in action groups dialog did not remove drag image on drag end via ESC.
- NEW: added option to randomize sorting via menu “View > Sort by”.
- FIX: reading of MP4 QuickTime chapters was not working anymore (since 3.03a).
- CHG: improved reading performance for large MP4 files.
- LNG: updated Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Slovak, Spanish, and Turkish translation.
Homepage – https://mp3tag.de
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 (32-bit, 64-bit).