Microsof Windows Server 2019 is the cloud-ready operating system. It delivers new layers of security and Azure-inspired innovation for the applications and infrastructure that power your business.
Windows Server 2019 helps accelerate time to value by simplifying your underlying infrastructure. Moreover, it allows you to reduce cost by taking advantage of industry-standard hardware.
At the heart of the Microsoft Cloud Platform, Server brings Microsoft’s experience delivering global-scale cloud services into your infrastructure.
Windows Server 2019 provides a wide range of new and enhanced features and capabilities.
They span server virtualization, storage, software-defined networking, server management and automation, web and application platform, access and information protection, virtual desktop infrastructure, and more.
One of the big features is in-place OS upgrades. This allows users to upgrade from a previous version of Windows Server to a new one, while keeping their settings, features, and applications. Users will be able to use the following upgrade paths:
|Currently Installed Operating System||Available Upgrade Version and Edition|
|Windows Server 2016 Standard||Windows Server 2019 Standard or Datacenter|
|Windows Server 2016 Datacenter||Windows Server 2019 Datacenter|
|Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard||Windows Server 2019 R2 Standard or Datacenter|
|Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter||Windows Server 2019 R2 Datacenter|
Storage Migration Service
A common issue around Windows Server is a lack of data migration options from older operating systems and storage platforms. Simply because in-place upgrades were impossible, and because manual migrations are slow and likely to cause significant interruptions to service or loss of access for users and applications, many customers are still using Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, and even Windows Server 2003.
Addressing this challenge, Windows Server 2019 introduces the Storage Migration Service (SMS), a new role included in Windows Server Standard and Datacenter editions. SMS is a job-based orchestration and proxy that:
- Allows administrators to inventory existing servers for their data, security, and network settings.
- Migrates that data, security, and network settings to a new, modern target by using the SMB protocol.
- Takes over the identity of the old server completely, while decommissioning the original source, in such a way that users and applications are unaffected and unaware that migration has taken place.
SMS provides orchestrated workflow with a Honolulu-based graphical management system, allowing scalable migrations of many servers simultaneously to new targets running on premises or in Azure.
Storage Replica (SR) was first released as a technology for Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition. SR enables synchronous and asynchronous block replication of volumes between servers or clusters for disaster recovery. SR also enables you to create stretch failover clusters that span two sites, with all nodes staying in sync.
Beginning with Windows Server 2019, responding to customer requests, we’ve added the following improvements to SR:
- Log v1.1. Performance improvements to the SR log system lead to far better replication throughput and latency, especially on all-flash arrays and Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) clusters that replicate between each other. To take advantage of this update, you must upgrade all servers participating in replication to Windows Server 2019.
- Test Failover. It is now possible to mount a writable snapshot of replicated destination storage. To do so, your server must have an unused volume that is not currently replicating on the destination; on the unused volume, temporarily mount a snapshot of the replicated storage for testing or backup purposes. Replication of the original source continues unabated while you perform your tests; your data is never unprotected and your snapshot changes will not overwrite it. When you are done, discard the snapshot. (Note: We first released this feature in the Windows Server version 1709 channel).
- Storage Replica Standard. SR will soon be available on Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition, not just on Datacenter Edition.
Windows Server 2019 Preview is available in ISO format in 18 languages. This build and all future pre-release builds will require use of activation keys during setup. The following keys allow for unlimited activations:
Datacenter Edition: 6XBNX-4JQGW-QX6QG-74P76-72V67
Standard Edition: MFY9F-XBN2F-TYFMP-CCV49-RMYVH
Windows Server vNext Semi-Annual Preview The Server Core Edition is available in English only, in ISO or VHDX format. The images are pre-keyed – no need to enter a key during setup.
Size: 6.49 GB