Tribler is an open source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features.
This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content.
Tribler was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The application enhances BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability.
The main features include: video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer which is a Python based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live streaming media.
Tribler adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol. That is somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005.
After a dozen downloads this software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com.
Another feature is a limited form of social networking and donation of upload capacity. Tribler includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends allows to increase the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features this software differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 7.1.0:
- Improved the performance, scalability, and stability of our integrated blockchain (TrustChain)
- Improved relevance ranking algorithm by actively gossiping torrent health with others
- Implemented payout of bandwidth tokens for direct downloading
- Released a separate Testnet overlay which can be toggled from the configuration file
- Added multi-select functionality to search results to downloads
- Removed VLC as a separate Windows installation (it is bundled with Tribler now)
- Improved the performance of our decentralized market
- Improved the peer discovery mechanism
- Fixed memory leaks, causing memory usage to increase infinitely
- Fixed numerous bugs regarding character encoding/decoding
- Prevented libtorrent from checking a torrent again when changing hop count
Homepage – https://www.tribler.org
Size: 108 MB