Tribler is an open source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features.
This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content.
Tribler was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The application enhances BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability.
The main features include: video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer which is a Python based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live streaming media.
Tribler adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol. That is somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005.
After a dozen downloads this software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com.
Another feature is a limited form of social networking and donation of upload capacity. Tribler includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends allows to increase the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features this software differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 7.5.4:
- Fixed remote query community crash on wrong query
- Added unit tests for processing received RQC queries
- Fixed test_as_server random dir with fixed seed
- Fixed CancelledError
- Update IPv8 pointer
- Removed file with unicode character causing issues in Jenkins CI/CD pipeline
- Fixed GUI crashing on race condition in addtochannel dialog
- Fixed unbound local error in version checker
- Fixed multiple version checker popups
- Covered timeout with tests in version checker
- Added tests for multiple version checker popups
- Isolated RemoteQueryCommunity
- Set libtorrent max rate limit
Changes in Tribler 7.5.3:
- Fixed the installation name of PIL in dependencies
- Added a VENV option when building Tribler
- Logged traceback timestamp on crash
- Caught TimeoutError when checking API version
- Only alive torrents are sent on popularity share
- Updated torrent checker to start before popularity community
- Fixed torrent checker test
- Fixed remote updating channel node with type change
- Fixed database session over error
Changes in Tribler 7.5.2:
- Updated Python interpreter to Python 3.8
- Disabled embedded VLC video player due to compatibility problems
- Updated Libtorrent version to 1.2.4 in Windows builds and fixed compatibility with Libtorrent 1.2.4+ in Unix versions
- Stopped fetching empty Channels from remote peers
Changes in Tribler 7.5.1:
- Fixed a bug where Tribler would crash or not startup when logging non-UTF8 characters.
Changes in Tribler 7.5.0:
- The Tribler Core is now powered by the modern Asyncio framework which improves performance, reliability and compatibility.
- REST endpoints are now based on AIOHttp framework.
- The video player is completely rewritten, improving its performance.
- Tribler channels now support multiple channels per user with file-tree like nested structure.
- DHT requests are now anonymous by default.
- Improved the startup time of the core.
- Discovering the first Tribler channels on new installations is now much faster.
- The integrated market is disabled by default and can be enabled from the setting panel.
- The experimental ‘Credit mining’ feature is removed completely.
- The home screen is removed; instead, Tribler now first shows the discovered channels.
- The torrent metainfo is loaded directly from DHT/tracker when unchecking the “anonymous” checkbox.
- The CPU-hungry animation of “loading” channel state is replaced with a static icon.
- You can now refresh the current page by clicking the selected button in the left menu again.
- Numerous small Channels GUI improvements.
Changes in Tribler 7.4.4:
- Hacky fix for config upgrading
- Backport TorrentChecker fixes from devel
- Removed set_filepieceranges
- Catch ValueErrors in connect_to_tracker (to deal with invalid urls)
- Fix for checkpoint timeouts
- Fix dir writability check
Changes in Tribler 7.4.3:
- Fix PID checking on Windows
- Update IPv8 pointer
- Fix issue in monitor_downloads
- Fix checkpoints getting stuck + speedup shutdown
- Handle ConnectionLost error in version checker
- Fix race condition in GUI videoplayer
- Catch socket errors
- Pass ignore_errors to recursive calls in recursive_unicode
- LooseVersion-based checks in VersionManager
- Fix encoding of encoding attribute in TorrentDef
- Add stricter check for tracker URLs
- Handle HttpError exception in endpoint
- Handle UnicodeDecode error by CategoryFilter
- Handle KeyError exception in resume_download
Changes in Tribler 7.4.1:
- Don’t crash on OSError (errno 0)
- Fix issue with CreateTorrentEndpoint when a connection is lost
- Update IPv8 pointer
- Ensure recursive_unicode doesn’t fail when encoding metainfo
- Fix TorrentDef.get_name_as_unicode
- Fix xrange error
- Fix KeyError in GUI
- Fix race condition in videoplayer controls
- Guard against subscribe/download of legacy channels
Changes in Tribler 7.4.0:
- Included a version system for easy rollbacks
- Fixed create torrent with no personal channel
- Fixed dl not starting with add to channel checkbox
- Fixed encoding of encoding entry in torrent files
- Stopped gossiping empty personal channels
- Fixed extended peer info encoding
- Used LooseVersion to compare networkx version
- Added TrustGraph compatibility to networkx 2.4
- Fixed for getting libtorrent settings
- Fixed VideoServer for multifile torrents
- Fixed misleading VOD message
- Fixed escaped unicode in download dialog
- Fixed inital load unicode torrent issue
- Fixed crash if there is no socks connection
- Moved seeding ratio settings to global config
- Python3 libtorrent bdecode compat utility
- Skipped weird scrape results in torrent checker
- Do not re-download already downloaded torrent
- Fixed unicode error in create_torrent_endpoint
- Removed bootstrap nodes persistence in file
- Stripped search query for auto completion response
- Stripped search query before converting to fts query
- Result validation before trying to plot trustgraph
- Added socket error on get address info to unhandled session error
- Bootstrap peers DHT connect failure log set to debug instead of error
- Skipped repeating error messages in resource_monitor
- Removed error-prone log statement in resume_download
- Decoded torrent filenames with ut8 by default
- Fixed unicode error on adding torrent to channel
- Checked Unicode decode error in socks conversion
- Fixed config convert for 7.4
- Fixed issue with exporting torrent – Python3
- Added versioned path to state directory
- Fixed tstate corruption during conversion
- Added pyqtgraph as pip dependency
Changes in Tribler 7.3.2:
- [Hotfix] Fixed service cache not checking for verified peers
Changes in Tribler 7.3.1:
- Fixed race condition in the GUI
- Fixed VLC reset issue
- Fixed saving seeding ratio
- Fixed crash while downloading metainfo
- Fixed crash because of incomplete bootstrap file download
- Fixed crash while fetching bootstrap peers
- Added a level 2 category filter
- Fixed build for the latest macOS Mojave
- Fixed token balance issue
- Fixed issue with multiple bootstrap file
- Updated IPv8
- Fixed issue with disabling mining button depending on the settings
- Add verification of channel dir structure before download
- Credit mining disabled by default for 7.3.1
- Gossip personal channel separately
- Fixed already called error on removing torrent
Changes in Tribler 7.3.0:
- Added scalable Giga Channels
- Redesigned the channels in the GUI
- Partial migration of codebase to Python3
- Various Debug pane enhancements: added tunnel/DHT info, statistics
- Various fixes and improvements in the market, DHT and other communities
- Updated VLC 3.0.6 bindings
- Enabled PEX for anonymous sessions, increase min/max_circuits
- Pony, lz4 and wheel added in Debian build as pip dependency
- Added BEP33 DHT health check
- Fixed multiple instances of Tribler
- Added support for building snap package
- Various GUI fixes
- Add Trust Graph
- Updated REST documentation
- Added market as a separate module: AnyDex
- Various Unicode fixes
- Integrated FakeTriblerAPI module within Tribler to ease integration tests
- Improved GUI performance on search and sort
- Added bootstrap mechanism for trust generation
- Fixed several performance issues
Homepage – https://www.tribler.org
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
- macOS Yosemite or newer.
- Linux Ubuntu.
Size: 98.9 MB