Tribler is an open source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface of Tribler is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features. This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content. Tribler was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The applocation is designed to enhance BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability. The core software is free and open source software based on the Tribler platform, licensed under the LGPL 2.1. Available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS.
Tribler features include: video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer which is a Python based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live Tribler streaming media. It is based on the same core as the Tribler TV application.
Tribler adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol, somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005. The software includes the ability to recommend content. After a dozen downloads the Tribler software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com. Another feature of Tribler is a limited form of social networking and donation of upload capacity. Tribler includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends can be used to increase the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features Tribler differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 6.1.0:
* Faster downloads: We have switched from the old python based bittorrent core to Rasterbar’s libtorrent, so expect less resource usage too, we are saturating a symmetric 100Mb/s connection without much trouble.
* Less disk and CPU consumption used for community synchronization.
* UI improvements (download speed graphs, some new icons, general UI cleanup…)
* Throttling (Bandwidth limitation) is working again.
* The LibSwift engine has been updated too.
* The “Save as” dialog has been modified to improve usability when downloading from magnet links.
* Thumbnails for downloaded media: Now when a new video file gets downloaded, Tribler will automatically create a thumbnail and make it available to the rest of peers to be shown on the search results for all the media you download from your favourite open channels.
* Fixed freezing at startup on some machines.
* Fixed race conditions and lockups in synchronizations.
* Various bug fixes and minor improvements.
* Fixes for the bugs reported by the community during beta1 and beta2 (Thanks!)
Homepage – http://www.tribler.org
Size: 47.5 MB