Slax is a modern, portable, small and fast Linux operating system having a modular approach and exceptional design. Inspite the fact that it is small, Slax gives a wide collection of pre-installed software for daily use, including a well organized graphical user interface and handy recovery tools for any system administrator. The modular approach provides the ability to include any other software in Slax easily. If you miss a certain text editor, networking tool or game, simply download a module with the software and copy it to Slax, you d not need to install or to configure. Slax is a Live operating system. Live means it runs from an external media without any need for permanent installation. Slax boots from USB mass storage devices such as Flash Drive keys as well as from regular hard drives and CD/DVD discs. Simply plug your device in and boot from it. Entire Slax operating system resides in a single directory /slax/ on your device, making it easier to organize with your other data.
Slax provides KDE4 desktop environment already preconfigured for the most common tasks. Included are applications and tools for data recovery, multimedia playback, instant messaging, web and more. Slax has zram support activated by default, which is a new technology for automatic RAM compression. Thanks to it, Slax runs on computers with as low as 48MB of RAM (in text mode). You can put Slax on wide range of different filesystems, including EXT (ext2, ext3, ext4), btrfs, and even FAT and NTFS.
When Slax is started from a read-only media such as CD/DVD, it keeps all system modifications in memory only, and all the modifications are lost when you reboot. On the other hand, if you run Slax from a writable device such as USB Flash Drive, it stores all changes there, so all your configurations and modifications are restored next time you boot, even if it is on a different computer. This feature is known as Persistent Changes and you can read more about it in a separate chapter.
Features provided by KDE desktop in Slax:
You can locate all available applications in the Application launcher (kickoff menu), just click the K button at the bottom left. To name just few of the applications, there is Terminal program (konsole), PDF viewer (okular), remote desktop client (krdc), desktop sharing VNC server and client (krfb), music player (juk) and video player (Mplayer), Archive utility (ark), image viewer (gwenview) and image editor (kolourpaint), powerful text editor (kate), file manager (dolphin), screen capture program (ksnapshot), instant messenger (pidgin) and FireFox web browser, card game suite (kpatience), sudoku game (ksudoku), calculator (kcalc), screen magnifier (kmag), and more.
Text-mode utilities included in Slax:
• Archival utilities: such as gzip, bz2, cpio, tar, ARJ, ZIP, LHA, LZO, XZ
• Disk utilities: as fdisk, gptdisk, parted, hdparm, sdparam, lvm2, mdadm
• Hardware monitoring tools: like dmidecode, lm_sensors, smartctl, powertop
• File system utilities: for ext2/3/4, btrfs, fat, ntfs, reiserfs, xfs, jfs
• CD ripping/ burning software: such as cdparanoya, cdrdao, mkisofs
• Utilities for CPU overclocking: like cpufreq-info and cpufreq-set
• Data recovery tools: such as ddrescue, xfsdump, rsync, bpe
• Networking tools: such as tcpdump, iptraf, iftop, mtr, nc, ftp, netwatch
• Support Windows shares: by mounting with mount -t cifs
• Wireless tools: such as iw, rfkill, wpa_supplicant
• Other tools: like OpenSSH ssh server and client, screen, Midnight commander, and more..
Homepage – http://www.slax.org
Size: 212 MB