VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. VLC Player is Simple, Powerful and Fast. Plays everything, Files, Discs, Devices and Streams. VLC also is Media Converter and Streamer, plays most codecs with no codec packs needed. VLC is a highly portable multi-platform multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, Ogg, OGM, MOV, wma, wmv…) The VLC media player project targets multimedia streaming of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and DivX files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and live videos on a high-bandwidth IPv4 or IPv6 network in unicast or multicast under many OSes.
VLC also features a cross-platform player, which can be used to read the stream from the network or display video read locally on the computer under all GNU/Linux flavours, all BSD flavours, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Solaris, QNX, Familiar Linux…
VLC media player Features:
• Rewrite of the playlist (tree structure, input preparsing …)
• Preferences improvements
• XML parsers
• Client-side SSL/TLS support
• Massive Matroska improvements
• Support for SOCKS proxy
• Support for Shoutcast Meta-data
• Support for (HE-)AAC raw-audio streams
• TiVo demuxer
• Samba (Windows shares) access module
• Dirac decoder and encoder
• PNG decoder/encoder
• Support for Apple Lossless Audio Codec
• Services discovery modules (brand new SAP module, HAL discovery, DAAP (iTunes shares), shoutcast)
• Support for 20/24 bits LPCM
• Video snapshot support (png or jpg)
• Image file video output (png)
• Mosaic (picture-in-picture system)
• Pocket PC port
• Brand new Internet Explorer ActiveX plugin
What’s New in VLC media player 2.2.0 codename WeatherWax:
* Fight the popular vertical video syndrome! VLC automatically detects rotated videos and rotates them using hardware acceleration (on compatible platforms)!
* This is supported for MP4/MOV, MKV and raw H264.
* Resume playback where you left off. Supported on all the mobile versions of VLC for quite some time, it is now available on the desktop.
* Vastly improved support for UltraHD video codecs like VP9 and H265, including encoding.
* New hardware acceleration mechanism, GPU 0-copy decoding, faster and implementations for Linux, Android, and Raspberry Pi. (Other OSes will have it in 3.0.0)
* Extensions: supported since a long time, we now feature an in-app downloader for the desktop, like Firefox
* Subtitles downloading extension
* Compatibility with a very large number of unusual codecs
* Vastly improved compatibility for problematic files in Ogg, MP4, and WMV.
* Support for Digital Cinema Package to play native movie theater formats.
* Experimental support of Interactive Menus of BluRays: BD-J
* On OS X, we’ve updated the interface for Yosemite compatibility.
* On Android, we rewrote most of the UI to match Google Material Design.
* This is the first public beta releases for Windows Phone, Windows RT and Android TV.
* It is also the first non-beta release on Android.
This is made possible through a lot of improvements of the VLC engine, the libVLC library, which starts showing its maturity and solidity.
Homepage – http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Size: 27.2 MB