FrostWire is an open source, peer-to-peer file sharing program for the BitTorrent protocols. FrostWire is free, and can be run on any computer with an internet connection, with very little minimum system requirements. Join millions of other file sharers and download unlimited music, movies, and games. A large variety of files can be found on FrostWire, and searching for them is quick and easy. Never again pay for a service that could be dirt cheap – if it weren’t being run by profiteering gluttons. FrostWire is written in Java. Gnutella support was dropped entirely, and now FrostWire only uses the BitTorrent network. You can now use FrostWire to send large files or entire folders to Colleagues, Friends and family. FrostWire performs a Smart Search upon the most relevant torrent search results that come from BitTorrent search engines, meaning it remembers every file contained by every torrent it scans increasing greatly the chance to find what you are looking for, super fast.
As FrostWire fetches search results from the search engines, it uses these results to crawl the Azureus DHT to learn about the contents indexed by these torrents. FrostWire will not use the bandwidth of the search engines in this process, it will only use the torrent info hash to perform DHT queries, meaning, .torrent files are fetched only from the DHT, not from search engine’s web servers, it’s searching powers will not depend from a central entity.
The project was started in September 2005 by members of the LimeWire open-source community, after LimeWire’s distributor considered placing “blocking” code, which it was developing in response to RIAA pressure and the threat of legal action, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd. When eventually activated, the code could block its users from sharing licensed files. FrostWire was first released in October 2005.
• Completely Free & open-source
• Send large files and folders
• Firewall-to-firewall transfers
• Turbo-Charged Download Speeds
• Full featured BitTorrent support
• Magnet Link compatible
• SoundCloud compatible
• Built-in Video Player
• Wi-Fi sharing for Mac, PC, Android
• Kindle Fire HD compatible
• Internet Radio support
• New Media Library and Audio Player
• iTunes Integration
• Max. speed network connections
• Junk Result Filters
• Friendly Online Chat Rooms
• Proxy Support
• No Spyware. No Adware. Guaranteed.
• Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, XP, 2000
• Mac OS X 10.5 or later
• Linux, Unix such as Solaris
• Android +2.1
Changes in FrostWire 5.5.6:
* New Feature: Includes search results from archive.org, which indexes millions of public domain and creative commons works from all over the internet.
* New Feature: playlist songs can be re-ordered with drag and drop.
* New Feature: all songs in a playlist can now be exported to a folder.
* Upgrade: Improved Unicode support for Chinese characters.
* Upgrade: mplayer update for unicode character file playback support.
* Upgrade: Search architecture upgrade for much faster search results.
* Upgrade: Considerably faster mp3,mp4 parsing in the library, creating
playlists is now faster than ever.
* Upgrade: New more explicit Wi-Fi sharing icons.
* Upgrade: Updated radio station database.
* Upgrade: up to 20% faster listing of files in the Library.
* Upgrade: Video player upgrades for better experience.
* Bug fix: screen-saver no longer kicks in during video playback.
* Bug fix: UPnP Wi-Fi sharing discovery consumes 84% less CPU on congested local networks. Fixing reported slowdowns and reducing considerable power consumption for laptop users.
* Bug fix: X11 related error fix.
* Bug fix: Number of files being shared includes the number of torrents being seeded.
* Bug fix: Library search issues related to unicode characters.
* Bug fix: Multiple null pointer exceptions and crashes fixed.
* Bug fix: Fixed rendering issue related to wrong parsing of bitrate string data.
* Upgrade: (Developers) ant compilation scripts cleanup.
* Upgrade: (Developers) use of ‘frostwire-commons’ repository to share common code between FrostWire for Android and Desktop projects.
Homepage – http://www.frostwire.com
Size: 18.0 MB